Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/12/2006, 12:41 AM   #101
melev
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffCo
Betadine works great and it's pretty cheap. You can find it at about any grocery store or pharmacy. It has 10% providine-iodine. The mix is 3ml betadine for every liter of water. Soak for a max of 25 minutes, then rinse the coral with clean saltwater. I tested this with about 30 frags and did not have any casualties.

I just finished setting up the 75 g and moved over all my acros, (man did that suck). Will probably dose the tank with betadine tonight or tomorrow.
I was just re-reading this post. You said you were going to dose your tank with betadine, rather than dip them for 25 minutes? Could you clarify your procedure with a little more detail please?

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2006, 03:55 AM   #102
melev
Moved On

I treated the Tyree frag with the 25 minute bath in Betadine, as suggested above.

I did blow off some larger flatworms, but after the coral was removed and the water settled, I didn't find any of them. I wonder if they dissolved entirely.

Here are some eggs I scraped off the coral before putting it back in my tank.

Unread 08/12/2006, 09:02 AM   #103
Neptune777
Premium Member

I recently dipped a red milli frag in TMPCC (which is just some form of iodine)....the flatworms dropped off and they did pretty much dissolve/fall apart shortly afterwards while I was trying to take some pictures.......I used the recommended dosage on the bottle.

IMO quarantine for an extended period with TMPCC/Betadine/Providone/Iodine dips is the way to go on these critters.

Has anyone witnessed the eggs hatching yet? Curious if the juvies are identical to the adults?

Neptune777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2006, 01:00 PM   #104
Bemmer
Premium Member

Marc,
i just read about your AEFW. I am sorry to hear you have them. I have the regular flatworms but they are a pain too. You work so hard on your tank and helping others. I wish I could say something to help but I do not have experience with the products you are referencing. The best of luck in irradicating the nasty buggers.

R-

Unread 08/14/2006, 02:39 PM   #105
wfgworks
Premium Member

Melev

I was wondering, could I just setup a large rubbermaid tube from Walmart or something, take out all the rock that has my SPS corals attached and bath both the rocks and SPS corals in a betadine bath?

Unread 08/14/2006, 03:00 PM   #106
melev
Moved On

It will kill off stuff on the coral, and odds are on the live rock. I watched starfish fall off, amphipods, and of course the flatworms.

Unread 08/14/2006, 03:06 PM   #107
wfgworks
Premium Member

I agree that it will probably kill off whatever is alive on the rock but to me treating the whole rock is much easier than pulling every SPS of each live rock which is totally encrusted.

Melev

The corals you treat, are pulling the coral off the live rock or if the coral is pretty encrusted, will you just treat the whole rock and coral?

Unread 08/14/2006, 03:09 PM   #108
melev
Moved On

I've only treated the one piece that was obviously infected. I've not taken any course of action yet regarding all the acropora sp. in my reef.

Unread 08/14/2006, 03:49 PM   #109
impur
Registered Member

TMPCC is the way to go IMO. I know other cures are out there. I just started my battle on these and redbugs yesterday, removing about 7 golfball sized colonies and 8 or so frags and dipping 2X strength TMPCC.

I loved watching the AEFW just peel off the acro, fall to the bottom and squirm until they dissolve. Redbugs float to the surface in about 10 min.

1 week down, 4 to go.

Good luck to you Marc!!

Miles

Current Tank Info: 75gal, 20gal sump, 6-54w T5 TEK
impur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2006, 04:04 PM   #110
wfgworks
Premium Member

Melev

The Betadine treatment. Its 1 liter of Salt or Fresh water and I can do 1 gallon for 12ml correct? I know that may sound stupid but thought I should ask.

Unread 08/14/2006, 04:53 PM   #111
SERVO
Registered Member

The europeans recommend a 3 mls / liter of water for 20/25 minutes bath.

SERVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2006, 05:06 PM   #112
wfgworks
Premium Member

I'm assuming Saltwater correct?

Unread 08/14/2006, 05:23 PM   #113
starrd27
Registered Member

The TMPCC works on BOTH red bugs AND AEFW?? If so, I'm going to switch to this for a dip on all incoming corals. Where can I get this online?

Sorry to hear that you're "infected" Marc. That really bites. I always look to your website and podcasts for help on all topics. Look at it this way...this is just another subject you can become an expert on and share your knowledge with the rest of us.

starrd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2006, 05:33 PM   #114
SERVO
Registered Member

Betadine is a much cheaper solution that will kill both annulids and arthropods. TMPCC is a great dip, but is very costly. Marc is using Betadine.

SERVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2006, 05:42 PM   #115
starrd27
Registered Member

Are red bugs and AEFW annulids and arthropods? Sorry, never was very good in biology. I currently use interceptor and levamisol. Can I replace both with the betadine? That would be great because I've had some coral losses in the levamisol dip - that stuff is deadly!

Unread 08/14/2006, 06:37 PM   #116
melev
Moved On

I used one liter of reef tank water, and added 3 ml of betadine. The flatworms dissolved completely. The coral lost some color in the process, but didn't die - yet.

I had it soaking for 25 minutes, using a timer. A turkey baster was used to squirt the coral about every 5 minutes. Then a dental tool to scrape away the eggs I saw within the coral's core.

Unread 08/14/2006, 09:11 PM   #117
Kent E
One Millionth Poster

marc please let us know if the coral pulls through.

Current Tank Info: Dreaming up a new one
Kent E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2006, 10:52 PM   #118
melev
Moved On

I will. It was relocated to a semi-safe spot, but something knocked it down. I'd prefer not to handle it yet again, but will probably use some tweezers tomorrow to put it up higher in the tank again.

After that, I'll take a picture of it in its current state.

Unread 08/15/2006, 09:31 AM   #119
starrd27
Registered Member

What is the difference between Betadine, Lugols, TMPCC and Seachem Reef Dip? Aren't they all some form of iodine? Is the Betadine more effective than the others??

Unread 08/15/2006, 11:06 PM   #120
garvondavis14
Registered Member

hey guys, interesting thread going on here...just wondering if anyone could provide the links to the other threads that are the most helpful?

sparkss- you seem to know all about them, do ya have the links

thanks, and good luck everyone

Current Tank Info: marine- 65 BB reef... freshwater- 55g mbuna tank, 20g fry tank, 30g community, 5g planted, 150g red eared slider habitat
garvondavis14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2006, 11:52 PM   #121
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

starrd27- All of the treatment that you have listed are iodine based. From what i have found in all the AEFW forums is that TMPCC, Betadine and Levamisole QT/dips are the most effective. Levamisole treatment which is a pig dewormer is the treatment that i am currently using. I pick Levamisole b/c it is cheaper than the other and just as effective from what i have read.

Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2006, 06:03 AM   #122
starrd27
Registered Member

Dejavu - I have been using the Levamisol for dips on incoming corals. The problem for me is that I've lost some corals in the dip. Have you? I was hoping to find an effective, inexpensive less harsh treatment. I am hoping Betadine is the solution, but am curious about the others listed as well (TMPCC, etc).

Unread 08/16/2006, 06:20 AM   #123
gflat65
Registered Member

I've been using TMPCC for a while on incoming corals. I lost alot of acros to the Levamisole treatment, but almost no monti's... I haven't had any directly related TMPCC losses yet. Still trying to figure out what I did on the Levamisole treatment that gave me such bad results... No AEFW's, though.

Unread 08/16/2006, 09:29 AM   #124
Sparkss
Registered Member

I have had poor results with the levamisole treatements also (poor results == lost acros). Not sure why, I have a heater and fan set up on a temp controller, 2 powerheads on a wavemaker, a remora HOB skimmer with carbon and purigen in the output and an eco canister filter filled with carbon. The last 2 were added at 1 day intervals after the initial treatement, adding carbon, then purigen bags then the canister filter, giving each one a day to see the affect. The water is not so cloudy, but it is still far from optimal, and we are still loosing corals. All corals were shaken in the treatment tank then rinsed in tank water (any with pourous plugs or base rock were soaked for 5 - 10 mins in fresh tank water) then they were all placed into the second, clean, freshly filled, treatment tank. They were no closer than they occassionally got in our prop tank, so I am doubtful of the proximity to each other being the issue.

We are extremely reluctant to do the second levi treatment for fear of losing even more corals, but I will say that the first treatment tank had thousands of dead and/or dieing AEFWs of all sizes on the bottom of it when we were finished. *shudder*

Current Tank Info: 380 starfire inwall ,two 150g sump/fuge. Volcano Ca RX, ato, 6' Volcano skimmer. LAIIIs w/400w AquaConnect 14K on IC EBallasts
Sparkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2006, 09:57 AM   #125
impur
Registered Member

I'm not sure of the ingredients of TMPCC, i'm sure iodine is one of them. But this is a MUCH more effective dip than just iodine, i've tried that and the AEFW take awhile to be affected. I have yet to lose an acro using TMPCC, so the extra cost is worth it to me.

Current Tank Info: 75gal, 20gal sump, 6-54w T5 TEK
impur is offline   Reply With Quote