Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/06/2019, 11:01 AM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

percula with weird growth at tail

Hi

My perc has a grey mass at base of tail. It was more white before I did a FWD with formalin a few days ago. SInce then she's been in a hospital tank with sulfa forte medication. The mass looks no better, she's been in treatment for 2 days. What is the best way to proceed.

At the moment other than the that area she looks 90% healthy, healithier looking than the clamped fins in the pic

I did post this elsewhere but I havent got an answer on whats going on with the grey mass that's not going away (the real issue right now).

TY!

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2019, 01:59 PM   #2
CTaylor
Registered Member

i forgot the pic...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sickPerc2.jpg (42.6 KB, 54 views)
Unread 06/06/2019, 07:27 PM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

She actually is a litle lethargic, and slow to take food, though she eats. SLightly labored breathing. I dont think she's going to survive without proper medication. Any help is appreciated

Unread 06/06/2019, 07:28 PM   #4
CTaylor
Registered Member

I have a ritteri anemone now.. A natural host for the perc. Maybe a more natural settting bak in the tank with the ritteri is the best thing for now??

Unread 06/06/2019, 11:58 PM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The picture would need to be clearer to make a diagnosis.

If it looks anything like this then it is fungal.

Pictures came from this website:
https://www.reeflex.net/tiere/4715_Saprolegnia.htm

I never had much luck treating this.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture1.jpg (13.5 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (14.1 KB, 85 views)

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2019, 12:22 AM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

From Diseases in Marine Aquarium Fish by Gerald Bassleer

BTW, I had this only on Anemonefish and in particular with ocellaris and percula. And all the pictures I could find also show just anemonefish. So it seems to be most common with them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bassler p40-41c.jpg (54.0 KB, 93 views)

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 06/07/2019, 12:23 AM   #7
CTaylor
Registered Member

IT IS THE TOP ONE 99% sure.
So she's pretty much doomed? :-/
Do i need to let her die in the QT?
She's already been in the DT in this condition though.

*Since it's fungal, what about the Formalyn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
The picture would need to be clearer to make a diagnosis.

If it looks anything like this then it is fungal.

Pictures came from this website:
https://www.reeflex.net/tiere/4715_Saprolegnia.htm

I never had much luck treating this.

Unread 06/07/2019, 12:30 AM   #8
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:

From Diseases in Marine Aquarium Fish by Gerald Bassleer

BTW, I had this only on Anemonefish and in particular with ocellaris and percula. And all the pictures I could find also show just anemonefish. So it seems to be most common with them.
How about Kanaplax? https://www.amazon.com/Kanaplex-5-g-.../dp/B00CJ0VY8G

Unread 06/07/2019, 12:39 AM   #9
CTaylor
Registered Member

**I have fluconazole... it was prescribed to me. I'm going to use it now. I have nothing else other than the formalyn.. and can order the fanaplex, but will take a few days to get here = too late (?). and I have to treat that riterri, dammit
**just started fluc.. nothing to lose at this point
**I'll end up putting perc in a bucket as her hospital.. ritteri in the little tank. I need some luck here

Last edited by CTaylor; 06/07/2019 at 12:45 AM.
Unread 06/07/2019, 12:45 AM   #10
ThRoewer
Registered Member

You can treat the ritteri in a 5-gallon bucket if it is a small anemone.
If possible get a Pond Planter Basket that fits into the top of the bucket. Put the anemone into the basket and heater and pump below the basket. The basket should be well above the pump and heater so that the anemone's tentacles can't reach them

Unread 06/07/2019, 12:48 AM   #11
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
You can treat the ritteri in a 5-gallon bucket if it is a small anemone.
If possible get a Pond Planter Basket that fits into the top of the bucket. Put the anemone into the basket and heater and pump below the basket. The basket should be well above the pump and heater so that the anemone's tentacles can't reach them
TY
I think I'll get the egg crate.. use the the 7 gallon tank I have the perc in,, i'll put perc in a bucket. the nem is 6" end to end open max. maybe 5 or less" tentacle end to tentacle end when not deflated. Looks nice when inflated. I'll give it one more day. ... Til fri afternoon I mean. I'm hoping the light will be ok.
**if it's sick this fast, it must hafe started before entering my tank (?)

TY

Unread 06/07/2019, 12:49 AM   #12
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
IT IS THE TOP ONE 99% sure.
So she's pretty much doomed? :-/
Do i need to let her die in the QT?
She's already been in the DT in this condition though.

*Since it's fungal, what about the Formalyn?
If otherwise healthy they can live for a long time with it. Though I would still attempt to treat. Back when I encountered it I didn't have all this info and the medications.

Unread 06/07/2019, 12:51 AM   #13
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
If otherwise healthy they can live for a long time with it. Though I would still attempt to treat. Back when I encountered it I didn't have all this info and the medications.
TY for that also ..
Do you think fluc can have an affect? I just put 200 mg in the 5 gallons. I know it can treat a DT for bryopsis with no ill effect at half that dose.

Unread 06/07/2019, 12:53 AM   #14
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
TY
I think I'll get the egg crate.. use the the 7 gallon tank I have the perc in,, i'll put perc in a bucket. the nem is 6" end to end open max. maybe 5 or less" tentacle end to tentacle end when not deflated. Looks nice when inflated. I'll give it one more day. ... Til fri afternoon I mean. I'm hoping the light will be ok.
**if it's sick this fast, it must hafe started before entering my tank (?)

TY
It must have been infected and the stress from shipping caused the outbreak. Since you had them together, touching each other, I would consider treating them both together, especially since you have no means to isolate the second for observation.

Unread 06/07/2019, 01:02 AM   #15
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
It must have been infected and the stress from shipping caused the outbreak. Since you had them together, touching each other, I would consider treating them both together, especially since you have no means to isolate the second for observation.
The 'male' healthy one is showing no signs whatsoever... You think i'd be totally wrong to keep a watch on him?
**What about the fluc? It's an antifungal....

Unread 06/07/2019, 01:13 AM   #16
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
The 'male' healthy one is showing no signs whatsoever... You think i'd be totally wrong to keep a watch on him?
**What about the fluc? It's an antifungal....
This was about the anemones. Best is to treat both together.

As for the fish, the male should be fine if you keep the water quality pristine and he has no injuries. These fungal infections seem to be related to open wounds and dirty tank conditions - unfortunately, nothing uncommon with the systems of the collectors or importers.

Unread 06/07/2019, 01:15 AM   #17
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
This was about the anemones. Best is to treat both together.

As for the fish, the male should be fine if you keep the water quality pristine and he has no injuries. These fungal infections seem to be related to open wounds and dirty tank conditions - unfortunately, nothing uncommon with the systems of the collectors or importers.
Gottcha
What treatment for the perc? Im' reading fluc is not for all fungus. I can barely see what that page says you posted.. I see malchite green etc.. What should I use (i need to order anything b/c I have no antifungals oter than formaly and fluc)

Maybe a combo of mal green and copper??? I have no idea

Ty!

Unread 06/07/2019, 01:18 AM   #18
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bassler p41 Treatment.jpg (49.8 KB, 89 views)

Unread 06/07/2019, 01:27 AM   #19
CTaylor
Registered Member

Im going to guess ill be more liekly to find cu sulfate at lfs. Would you yourself use that?
And you wre unsuccessful in past with fungal bc you didnt know the treatment? That page seems to say it can be cured (?) easiky with just one of thise from the list. But will any of those treat this one better than the others. I giess that much is a mystery? Maybe i shoukd try two at once (?)

Unread 06/07/2019, 01:33 AM   #20
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Im going to guess ill be more liekly to find cu sulfate at lfs. Would you yourself use that?
And you wre unsuccessful in past with fungal bc you didnt know the treatment? That page seems to say it can be cured (?) easiky with just one of thise from the list. But will any of those treat this one better than the others. I giess that much is a mystery? Maybe i shoukd try two at once (?)
I don't know. Back then I just tried iodine applied with a Q-tip on the fungus.
A combination might work better but you need to make sure the two medications can be combined.

Unread 06/07/2019, 07:12 AM   #21
CTaylor
Registered Member

I can get pimafix antifungal right now. I guess ill get that.

Unread 06/07/2019, 11:23 AM   #22
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Get the Pimafix, the cotton fungus is no match for human ingenuity.

Last edited by Small Heavens; 06/07/2019 at 11:31 AM.
Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2019, 11:26 AM   #23
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

I love picking those weak fish that ain't doing well in the LFS tanks and help them, Pimafix is enough to clear out cotton fungus and can actually be tolerated by anemones as well (nems retract slightly when the mix touches their surface but they inflate again after 10-15 minutes).

Unread 06/07/2019, 11:29 AM   #24
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

I keep one Polymnus clown male that was very weak when it first arrived and it had the biggest cotton fungus ball I had ever seen on its one pectoral fin (about the same proportion of fungus to fish as yours although Polymnus fishes are bigger) and some fin-tearing or -rot on both ventral fins.

After a week of Pimafix/Melafix, the fungus was gone and the fins regrown. The fungus first got slightly smaller and on day6 it just vanished. I proceeded with dosing Melafix 1day more, then there were no futher signs of damage to the fish.

Remember that any stress gives fishes a full 12hour period of diminished natural immunity and hurry slow as they say. Do not be too worried, cotton fungus is fortunately something that humans can help fishes with.

Last edited by Small Heavens; 06/07/2019 at 12:23 PM.
Unread 06/07/2019, 11:52 AM   #25
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

(ps. Btw. it is reported that clownfish that are treated with copper never reproduce again, so that might be worth mentioning on a side note)