Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/18/2017, 05:06 PM   #101
BZOFIQ
Registered Member

and a 'fix' we got!

Man dont leave us hanging for this long between updates, withdrawal symptoms are not fun

One thing; with this high-level of build (again, amazing!) shown here I am surprised that you didn't employ abyzz pumps as your returns.

BZOFIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2017, 08:47 PM   #102
tripdad
Frustrated Stick Gardener

Wow, That's a ton of update, glad to see it going well. I'm a fan of your build for many reasons but my main one is because your really going after what you want, including the room decor and woodwork. It's really cool to watch someone execute what was once just a vision into a reality, and so well.

Current tank: 65 gal DSA rimless, mixed reef, 20 gal sump, T5 6bulb, big skimmer, 40B Fowler, 20 gal sump, 4 bulb T5
tripdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 10:08 AM   #103
James404
I <3 Acros

This thread is simply amazing. Your attention to detail and craftsmanship is about the best I have seen on here.

Unread 09/20/2017, 11:00 AM   #104
halmus
Registered Member

Xoomer- about the Abyzz pumps: I have obviously spent a lot of money on this system. However, I have still tried to consider the cost/benefit of each component. I don't like spending money just to spend money for fancy gear. For the main returns, I really only want a fixed flow rate so that controllable function of the DC pump would be wasted once it was set. The Dolphin pumps supply all of the flow I need at an impressively low power draw. They seem to have a good reputation for reliability.

I obviously am using Vectras as returns for other sections of the reef but they will be variable based on how many tanks I'm trying to supply. Again, those systems don't justify the price tag in my mind. Maybe in the future I might migrate that direction to cut down on noise. Thanks for following and for the good question.

halmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 11:23 AM   #105
BZOFIQ
Registered Member

I understand your approach; makes sense.

I am considering the Abyzz in my next build for all of its strong points; its ultra quiet, ultra efficient and has high head, not to mention its tiny by comparison to these old school pumps and it comes with 10 year warranty. The price is little too high for most budgets (including mine) but reading the reviews and seeing the feedback at different fora I get that feeling that it would be the last pump I'd need.

BZOFIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 12:04 PM   #106
karimwassef
Registered Member

Beautiful build. Great workmanship.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 12:28 PM   #107
vadajo
Registered Member

Amazing work. Whats your rate and would you be willing to fly to VA?

vadajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 12:28 PM   #108
halmus
Registered Member

A Golden Reef Tank (v2)

Quote:
Wow, That's a ton of update, glad to see it going well. I'm a fan of your build for many reasons but my main one is because your really going after what you want, including the room decor and woodwork. It's really cool to watch someone execute what was once just a vision into a reality, and so well.

Thanks for all of the compliments! Turning my thoughts into really has been rewarding! ...and exhausting.

Unread 09/20/2017, 12:29 PM   #109
halmus
Registered Member

A Golden Reef Tank (v2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James404 View Post
This thread is simply amazing. Your attention to detail and craftsmanship is about the best I have seen on here.

Thanks James. I owe a lot of inspiration to past builds that others have completed here.

Unread 09/20/2017, 04:17 PM   #110
jmsilhy
Registered Member

I know a couple of public aquariums that could use advice from you man!!

Subscribed for the rest of your journey, can't wait for updates (grabbing popcorn)

jmsilhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 04:57 PM   #111
halmus
Registered Member

Thanks Karim and Vadajo.

Karim-I've read through parts of your thread. I need to start over and review from the beginning. You've got some major aspirations. I wish you the best with the project. It will be incredible to see come together.

Vadajo- Do you have anything being planned right now or running already? Any build threads? I'm afraid my work would would require more in terms of time than 99% of hobbyists would be willing to tolerate. 300 hours is a conservative estimate of how much time I have in the aquarium and back room and it's still not done. Another 300 hours in the woodwork out front and there are still small things to complete there. That's why the tank was dry for 18+ months.

Unread 09/20/2017, 05:05 PM   #112
halmus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsilhy
I know a couple of public aquariums that could use advice from you man!!

Subscribed for the rest of your journey, can't wait for updates (grabbing popcorn)

Thanks JM. I would love to earn a living somehow tied to the hobby but I haven't found the right opportunity. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.

Unread 09/20/2017, 05:51 PM   #113
karimwassef
Registered Member

Thanks. Just watch the latest videos - that'll catch you up fast

I'm still captive to my budget- need to clear under $50k to get started.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 10/30/2017, 08:08 AM   #114
halmus
Registered Member

I picked up the Neptune Apex system for the display tank and for the QT systems. I've spent the last month focusing on prepping for and installing these systems. After two days of finishing up minor issues and cleaning the filtration area, I can finally do another pan of the room. I had a few minor issues like a J-Guest fitting leaking due to a misaligned O-ring, I have both the display and QT tanks running on cruise control. Those minor issues are taken care of.

Unread 10/30/2017, 08:09 AM   #115
halmus
Registered Member

I built another cabinet for the Energy Bars that support the QT systems. Like a lot of aspects of this build, I've tried to leave things modular and easily modifiable. I still need to build holders for the ReefBreeder light remote controls. They will be mounted on the second panel up. I will eventually add input buttons, switches, and/or output light indicators as needed to these panels that interface to the Apex. For example, I might add a large red "EMERGENCY STOP" button. I will be adding a cheep tablet to the other electronics cabinet that focuses on the display system. I might end up adding a cheep tablet to this cabinet so that I can tweek the QT system quickly and easily. For now, I'm going to spend some time working with things as they are and figure out exactly how I end up using the systems over time before making major changes or additions.

Unread 10/30/2017, 08:09 AM   #116
halmus
Registered Member

Unread 10/30/2017, 08:10 AM   #117
halmus
Registered Member

The large cabinet for misc electronics has been prepped and sealed up. I will be mounting a tablet next to the Apex display head. Long term, I will be interfacing all of the other electronics I plan on building into this cabinet. I purposely built this cabinet larger than needed so that I can easily expand as needed.

I installed some equipment from Avast Marine on the MRC skimmer. I'm really impressed with their products and highly recommend them! I am considering ordering some more of their pressure sensors to use as high/low water level indicators.

Unread 10/30/2017, 08:11 AM   #118
halmus
Registered Member

Lastly, I built some of these probe holders from scrap acrylic. I also built a small acrylic box that will be dedicated for testing probes. I've been following some of the new testing devices coming onto the market so I tried to oversize this box.

Unread 10/30/2017, 10:59 AM   #119
bpnages25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halmus View Post
I finished the mixing station for now. I made acrylic boxes for the electronics and easy access to the pump controllers. Later on, I will be integrating more electronics into those boxes. For now, they're mostly empty.

Very IMPRESSIVE! In awe of how thought out every part of your build is.

Do you mind providing link for the metal brackets you used to mount acrylic box above? And the shelving you used through out fishroom? Current shelving I have is starting to rust and needs to be replaced.

Look forward to following along with your tanks journey

bpnages25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 11:53 AM   #120
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Spectacular project. Awesome skills you have with wood, acrylic, and other materials.

The Fibergrating is awesome stuff. I have been using it for 10+ years. When I build my new wall I am using it for the wall/shelving as well. I don't want anything that rusts or rots.

Great thinking on the whole project - Look forward to seeing this tank mature.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 12:45 PM   #121
russ49merc
Registered Member

amazing

russ49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 02:04 PM   #122
halmus
Registered Member

"Very IMPRESSIVE! In awe of how thought out every part of your build is.

Do you mind providing link for the metal brackets you used to mount acrylic box above? And the shelving you used through out fishroom? Current shelving I have is starting to rust and needs to be replaced.

Look forward to following along with your tanks journey"

Thank you!

Here is a link to the shelving I bought:

https://www.grainger.com/product/EDS...Code=P2IDP2PCP

I bought the base rack system as you see in the link. I built custom Formica shelves for them rather than what the manufacturer would provide. I then attached aluminum angle pieces to bond the shelf to the metal brackets. The racks are still metal, so there's no guarantee against rust over time. They're a thicker gauge metal than you would pick up at a local box store.

Here is a link to the aluminum strut:

https://www.grainger.com/product/GRA...-8-x-13-45YV89

Unread 10/30/2017, 02:07 PM   #123
halmus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
Spectacular project. Awesome skills you have with wood, acrylic, and other materials.

The Fibergrating is awesome stuff. I have been using it for 10+ years. When I build my new wall I am using it for the wall/shelving as well. I don't want anything that rusts or rots.

Great thinking on the whole project - Look forward to seeing this tank mature.

Dave B
Thanks Dave. I've learned some new skills on this project. The Fibergrating is incredible for strength and functionality. It's a bit tricky and dirty to machine to size. Thanks for following.

Unread 10/30/2017, 02:08 PM   #124
halmus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ49merc View Post
amazing
Thanks Merc.

Unread 10/30/2017, 02:16 PM   #125
karimwassef
Registered Member

Beautiful.

Where did you get your fibergrate?