Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/11/2017, 07:59 PM   #1
jlfalin
Registered Member

RD230 Making a Rubbing Sound

The title says it all. I have been running my rd230 on a closed loop for about a week now. When I first fired it up it was dead silent. The rubbing sound happened once before but I turned the pump off and then back on and it went away. I tried that this time but the sound is still there. The sound is a constant rubbing sound that gets louder and faster as I turn the speed of the pump up. Is this normal. Do you think there is something stuck in the pump. Advise would be appreciated.

jlfalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 08:01 PM   #2
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

I’d pull the front end off and inspect it. See if anything is stuck/lose/out of ordinary. Never know what shifted in shipping, or managed to get sucked up in the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 08:12 PM   #3
jlfalin
Registered Member

Thanks. I'll inspect it and report back.

Unread 12/11/2017, 09:19 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

As Marco said, pull the cover off and inspect. Pull the impeller out if needed as well. I had that once and i was a limpet that got in there. I’d bet something found its way into the pump whether it’s a shelled critter or some sand or something else.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 12/11/2017 at 09:38 PM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 10:00 AM   #5
jlfalin
Registered Member

Would have to be sand. The first life was just added to the tank on Saturday and that was 3 fish and 3 snails. I plan on taking the pump apart tonight and see what’s going on. My guess is some sand made it’s way into the pump. Should be easy enough to clean out.