Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2018, 04:39 PM   #1
Globalbutterfly
Registered Member

Used Glass Rimless - Safe?

Ok, this will be my first proper tank. Been trying to do my research ahead of time and search the threads BEFORE I post. Think I just need to ask and get a specific answer this time.

Bought a used 57 gal RR rimless (36 x 18 x 20). Don’t know the manufacturer (maybe Deep Blue or older Oceanic?) Looks good, no scratches etc. Haven’t water tested it yet since we’re having a cold snap here in Atlanta and it’s well below freezing. Noticed a little gap in the glass & silicone at the top corners.

Not sure if this is normal and just needs a bit of touch up silicone OR if it is a sign that there may be bigger issues and that it might leak or worse, fail all together. How do I know??

Unread 01/18/2018, 05:56 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Thats the non-critical seal thats just been hurt by algae scrapers over the years...it wont cause a failure at all..its just there to protect the main seal...you can repair it if you want or not

Unread 01/18/2018, 06:04 PM   #3
Globalbutterfly
Registered Member

Not to be completely clueless, but which is the primary seal and how would I know if IT had a problem?

Unread 01/18/2018, 06:32 PM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

The structural seal is the thin filet of silicone that is actually between the panes. Like mcgyvr said, what you are seeing is cosmetic only. Personally, I'd leave it be - it's not worth the effort and unless you are good with silicone, will end up looking worse than what you already have.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 07:34 PM   #5
Globalbutterfly
Registered Member

Gotcha! I’m not at all good with silicone so I’ll leave that be.

Thanks!