Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2021, 10:07 AM   #1
71Percent
Registered Member

A Memoriam for All Creatures Lost to Elegance Corals

Just experienced my first death at the hands of my new (one month old) Elegance Coral - a red Sea Star. I found it curled up under the coral and tried to rescue it, but it has started to melt away. Additional problem - was my wife’s favorite tank creature. “Why did you add that Killer to our tank?!” Please make me feel better by posting your own calamities. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

71Percent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2021, 06:10 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

It happens. When you lose something in an otherwise well-set-up and proper tank, you naturally wonder if there was any way to have known, or to prevent it, and my only wisdom is that I tried, and little fishes meet sharks every night on the reef, and things happen, be it a big hammer coral slowly overgrowing and blocking light from (or chemically attacking) a slower coral or one fish instantly treating another as lunch. Dead coral becomes reefs that support live coral. Our job is to show other humans the wonder of a reef and get them to think of that when they consider the oceans; and to tell other newer hobbyists what's safe and what isn't. Long as I've been at this, I've never known an elegance to be a problem, but in the ocean, we do get surprised. You didn't intend it. I'd post the problem in appropriate places so the knowlege gets passed. That's what you can do.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2021, 01:38 PM   #3
71Percent
Registered Member

Thanks for the well-written response. Very good points and makes me feel better. I have a few galaxia corals and the elegance takes the prize for the most potent/aggressive. On a good note, the star has started moving again, but looks like it lost most of two arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

71Percent is offline   Reply With Quote