Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Red Sea
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/06/2017, 11:49 AM   #101
Optionman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanburen View Post
Ah - just saw pics of the new reefer xxl. That looks like something to consider.

But while we wait for its release... can someone explain how the "new" sump water flow works on the 650? I've reviewed the manual and it looks like the water comes down the overflow into the small back chamber, flows up and over and into the two filter socks then somehow (please insert details) it gets to the skimmer (does the chamber connect?), and somehow also connects to the left side media area / refugium, and somehow makes its way back to the pump via carbon on right side front. Many thanks in advance.

after it goes thru the 2 socks its goes to middle section (opening below the socks on right side lets water feed the middle section) where RS places their skimmer. i removed the stock skimmer and put another one in the far left section. water then moves over the front middle (small opening where carbon bags can be placed) and then to front right where main return pump resides.

Old 03/06/2017, 12:18 PM   #102
vanburen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionman View Post
after it goes thru the 2 socks its goes to middle section (opening below the socks on right side lets water feed the middle section) where RS places their skimmer. i removed the stock skimmer and put another one in the far left section. water then moves over the front middle (small opening where carbon bags can be placed) and then to front right where main return pump resides.
Sounds like a maze! Thanks.

Old 03/06/2017, 09:02 PM   #103
STRIPERVIPER
Registered Member

Ich help

Hey guys know it's not the right forum but I figured I'd reach out for help. I have ich in my tank. I have limited coral in so far and can pull out my inverts and place them in my qt while I treat. I've started w vitachem and fritz protoshield. Fish are doing ok but I still see the ich so I'm giving it a few days to see if it starts to disappear. But I'm thinking I'm going to have to do a "real" treatment. Anyone have experience with chloroquine phosphate? That's what I'm being steered to. I'm hearingfish and coral will be ok. Inverts need to come out or they're gonners. I have a few nems and I'm thinking they have to be pulled out as well. Any help is appreciated.

Old 03/06/2017, 10:07 PM   #104
GoVols
Registered Member

STRIPERVIPER,
I've been blessed and never had to deal with a ich out break in my main reef displays.

I feel for you and hope someone can help.

Regards, GoVols

Current Tank Info: RSM S-400 (Merlot) / BB / Mixed Reef / Lighting: Led - T5 (Hybird) KZ-SB t5's with (Kessil A80's) modded into factory t5 middle section / Bubble King 160 skimmer / Apex - DOS / Teco TK-1000 Chiller & Heater / GFO & Purigen reactor's
Old 03/09/2017, 08:38 PM   #105
STRIPERVIPER
Registered Member

Ich

So I've decided. I'm going to do a hospital tank and treat all the fish there and let the tank lay fallow for the 72 days to get rid of the ich. Just sucks to have to put it all on hold

Old 03/10/2017, 07:19 AM   #106
vanburen
Registered Member

In reviewing the manual it looks like there is no back to the stand but there are inner side panels. Is that correct? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03/10/2017, 08:21 AM   #107
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
In reviewing the manual it looks like there is no back to the stand but there are inner side panels. Is that correct? Thanks!

My sump section has a back but the power center does not. It's open so your chiller can vent properly if you run one.

Current Tank Info: RSM S-400 (Merlot) / BB / Mixed Reef / Lighting: Led - T5 (Hybird) KZ-SB t5's with (Kessil A80's) modded into factory t5 middle section / Bubble King 160 skimmer / Apex - DOS / Teco TK-1000 Chiller & Heater / GFO & Purigen reactor's
Old 03/10/2017, 11:18 AM   #108
SPR1968
Registered Member

Quote:

On the Max S 650 (new) there is no wooden back to the stand but there is a thin black screen which covers the entire back of the stand apart from the chiller compartment which is open at the back. It's like a plastic type material I think. It's also has the inner side panels same as the back and of course the sides also have wooden panels on the outside same as the front doors.

So basically the main sump is fully enclosed apart from a small square opening at the top back left were you push wires, tubes etc through. If you wanted an opening in the back you could just maybe drill/cut a hole in it as I don't think it's load bearing. Well is can't be it's plastic and flexy!

The thin black screen I seem to remember is either screwed on or might be small plastic clips you push in to hold it in place.

Current Tank Info: 2016 Red Sea Max S 650 LED Black Reef Tank
Old 03/11/2017, 05:53 AM   #109
STRIPERVIPER
Registered Member

Back

It's 1/4" black plastic. U can drill holes in it. If u want a bigger opening use a hole saw. I did that to run my uv light outside the sump in the rear of the tank and used zip ties to keep the light up off the floor. I definitely agree it's not load bearing but u can attach some study to it or use it to support your wires ect.. the site is still not letting me upload pics of my Aa top. It's very nice. It definitely makes maintenance a little tougher. Taking it off Is a bit of a pain bc I don't have much clearance above my tank w a low ceiling and hanging lights. And the feeding doors sink!!

Old 03/14/2017, 09:35 PM   #110
STRIPERVIPER
Registered Member

New corals

Ordered these today. The master is from Windy City reefs in Chicago. the bleeding apple and bowerbanki are from extreme corals. They're both due to arrive Friday. Snow day costed me a fortune. The pics are from their sites. Hopefully they arrive looking so nice. Sorry having trouble loading the other pics. Pretty soon it'll jut be corals and inverts in the tank when I take out all the fish to treat and lay my tank fallow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0086.JPG (54.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 03/14/2017, 09:36 PM   #111
STRIPERVIPER
Registered Member

Pic

Pic can't figure out y I'm so much trouble loading pics to this site lately

Old 03/15/2017, 01:42 AM   #112
SPR1968
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRIPERVIPER View Post
Pic can't figure out y I'm so much trouble loading pics to this site lately
I have same problem. I think it's that there is Max file size on here. I upload using Tapatalk

Old 03/20/2017, 04:45 PM   #113
vanburen
Registered Member

Red Sea Max S-650 Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRIPERVIPER View Post
It's 1/4" black plastic. U can drill holes in it. If u want a bigger opening use a hole saw. I did that to run my uv light outside the sump in the rear of the tank and used zip ties to keep the light up off the floor. I definitely agree it's not load bearing but u can attach some study to it or use it to support your wires ect.. the site is still not letting me upload pics of my Aa top. It's very nice. It definitely makes maintenance a little tougher. Taking it off Is a bit of a pain bc I don't have much clearance above my tank w a low ceiling and hanging lights. And the feeding doors sink!!

Could you mount dosers and power strips to It or do I need to consider a false wall?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 03/20/2017, 10:34 PM   #114
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
Could you mount dosers and power strips to It or do I need to consider a false wall?

I would not mount anything that's electrical in the sump compartment.

You can see my DOS pumps sitting on my chiller in the power center compartment. Mind you this is a 2013 S-400 but it gives you the idea.

Scratch the pic. For some reason RC won't upload it...

Old 03/21/2017, 01:02 AM   #115
SPR1968
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
I would not mount anything that's electrical in the sump compartment.

You can see my DOS pumps sitting on my chiller in the power center compartment. Mind you this is a 2013 S-400 but it gives you the idea.

Scratch the pic. For some reason RC won't upload it...
+1. I wouldn't put anything electrical down there as you get splashes of water on the back wall, just little dots here and there, so you wouldn't want that near your plug sockets etc and you would probably also get salt creep.

On the pictures I think there is a maximum file size for pictures, it tells you on here somewhere. I upload with Tapatalk and that automatically down sizes the file when I want to put a picture on here.

Old 03/21/2017, 07:22 AM   #116
2una
Registered Member

below

Last edited by 2una; 03/21/2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03/21/2017, 07:35 AM   #117
2una
Registered Member

Quote:

I left my chiller outside on the left side & use the left cupboard for electrical. Apex/extra plug bars at the back & dosers & containers at the front.
But i have a lot of stuff everywhere - carx & kalk stirrer outside right.

Old 03/21/2017, 08:23 AM   #118
Optionman
Registered Member

2una, can you please take me through all the reactors you've placed in the sump in the above photo. is the green tubing that branches off the main return line going to a skimmer in the middle section? is the skimmer sitting on something? what are the 3 reactors i think i see in the left compartment. thanks.

Old 03/21/2017, 10:51 AM   #119
2una
Registered Member

Hi, I have low Ph issues with my carx so left rear is an Ati Powercone 200is Skimmer(the black lid) that has a large footprint & you can see the grey coloured pump by the front of the sump left side...,Beside that in front is a Bubble Magus biopellet reactor,(has the white pipe pointing towards the ati skimmer pump/intake.
Right of that is a tlf 150 reactor running carbon (small black cap)
Right of that is a marine pure block
Behind that is a white perspex board to stop water flowing thru there.(makes it go further to the left before being able to go to the return chamber)
Behind that is a Bubble Magus D9 skimmer(the blue top)
The green hose - the old skimmer feed line is connected to nothing,I've just left it that way in case the valve got knocked open & it would return water to sump rather than try shoot out.
At the back between the 2 skimmers that you can't see in that pic is a 2nd marine pure block.
The 2 solenoids at the back cable tied to the chiller return pipe are for the ato.(tunze but i use 2 solenoids gravity feed instead of their ato pump)
Front left side apex probes
Think that's it

Old 03/21/2017, 01:12 PM   #120
GoVols
Registered Member

2una, Love your Tank!!!!!!!!!!!!

See if this works...

Exact same shot????????????????

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sump.jpg (55.2 KB, 22 views)

Old 03/21/2017, 03:16 PM   #121
2una
Registered Member

Thanks GoVols ....Think when i tried the other day to post a pic as an attachment that the max file size is now 102kb....i'm just linking from flickr with "copy image address" & using the "insert image" up in the top tool box

Old 03/21/2017, 05:41 PM   #122
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2una View Post
Thanks GoVols ....Think when i tried the other day to post a pic as an attachment that the max file size is now 102kb....i'm just linking from flickr with "copy image address" & using the "insert image" up in the top tool box
2una,

Your Welcome! You have a beautiful reef I love the way your t5 is suspended over your 650 and it's a perfect fit.

The 400 sump area is small but as you can see... You can still fit the reactors that one likes
(lol) I keep the grime in there for SPS growth. Kinda like Tang poo.

Thanks for the info.
They changed something over here. I'll have to remember 102kb.

Regards, GoVols

Last edited by GoVols; 03/21/2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03/21/2017, 10:16 PM   #123
vanburen
Registered Member

Ok another question... does it look odd with all the space behind it?

Old 03/21/2017, 11:11 PM   #124
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:

My six" space does not look odd and it gave me room to hide my 1.5 gallon dosing tanks (one tank at each end). (Lol) I have not used them or my DOS pump since last fall.

The RS ABC+ powder with RS colors C & D is easiest and best method that I've ever used and I've tried about all 2 part / balling methods out there and this has blow them all away. The ABC+ already has RS colors A & B in it.

The 650 has a larger water volume than my 400 so I don't know if the ABC+ powder would balance out correctly to the larger water volume of the 650.

Old 03/22/2017, 01:11 AM   #125
SPR1968
Registered Member

Quote:

Assuming you mean the 6" gap at the rear, no not really. I can see why you might think this, but after it's been there for a week or so you don't even notice it.

And as said above it also means you can hide things behind it as required.