Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2017, 12:50 PM   #26
nemguy
Registered Member

I will send you a pic when I get home looking forward to that vid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nemguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2017, 03:01 PM   #27
Jeep_guy
Registered Member

Glad to hear it's doing good, not that I thought you'd have a problem. The gig is still doing great and I'll try to post a new video tonight depending on how sober I am lol. Happy St Paddys day!

Jeep_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 11:30 AM   #28
nemguy
Registered Member

Pic of your mag he is loving the kessils at the highest point in the tank

Unread 03/18/2017, 12:08 PM   #29
davocean
Registered Member

Both those nems look nice, looks like you both scored in trades.
I've never heard or read of anyone receiving a noticeable sting from a mag, not that I doubt you, hadonni I have read many times and felt personally a number of times, but this is first of a mag on my end anyway.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 03:01 PM   #30
nemguy
Registered Member

Haha I have a picture of it

Unread 03/18/2017, 03:58 PM   #31
pfan151
Registered Member

That's pretty wild. I don't seem to get a reaction from mags or gigs.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 04:40 PM   #32
Jeep_guy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemguy View Post
Pic of your mag he is loving the kessils at the highest point in the tank

Looks great!

Unread 03/18/2017, 04:41 PM   #33
Jeep_guy
Registered Member

And damn that's one hell of a sting, I thought mine were bad, I just got red blotches lol.

Unread 03/18/2017, 04:42 PM   #34
Jeep_guy
Registered Member

New video as promised. Picked up some fresh salmon to feed it later.

https://youtu.be/FT4zXj_s_oY

Unread 03/18/2017, 04:53 PM   #35
WatDatThing
Registered Member

The severity of the sting some what depends on how your body immune system react.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 04:56 PM   #36
WatDatThing
Registered Member

@jeepguy...Pretty tank. My wife likes it.

WatDatThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 06:23 PM   #37
Jeep_guy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatDatThing View Post
@jeepguy...Pretty tank. My wife likes it.

Thank you and thank her for me lol

Unread 03/18/2017, 06:27 PM   #38
Jeep_guy
Registered Member

Is it normal for the clowns to take food from the anemone? I just gave the gig a fresh piece of salmon which it grabbed immediately and they keep trying to pull it out and pick on it . Also I just fed the clowns before feeding the nem

Unread 03/18/2017, 09:40 PM   #39
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_guy View Post
Is it normal for the clowns to take food from the anemone?
It happens sometimes. IME it's usually tank raised clowns that do it. My former Picasso used to do it a lot wilhile it's mate, a wild caught Onyx, left it alone.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2017, 11:33 PM   #40
Jeep_guy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
It happens sometimes. IME it's usually tank raised clowns that do it. My former Picasso used to do it a lot wilhile it's mate, a wild caught Onyx, left it alone.
Any tips on how to get the anemone to be able to eat without getting bothered? Aside from taking the clowns out lol

Unread 03/19/2017, 12:49 AM   #41
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_guy View Post
Any tips on how to get the anemone to be able to eat without getting bothered? Aside from taking the clowns out lol
You can try heavy feeding of clowns prior to feeding the anemone. Once their bellies get full they might ignore anemone food. Or they might still go after it. Clowns can be big little pigs. Lol

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 07:51 AM   #42
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

They are learning. Just let them be. Also feed the anemone with items that are easily broke off or little pieces in a mound at the same place. That way the clown can take some but the it can still feed.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 08:06 AM   #43
Jeep_guy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
They are learning. Just let them be. Also feed the anemone with items that are easily broke off or little pieces in a mound at the same place. That way the clown can take some but the it can still feed.
Thanks buddy. How often do you guys feed you're gigs? I know people who don't want them to grow don't feed but I'd like this guy to get a little bigger.

Unread 03/19/2017, 08:20 AM   #44
OrionN
Moved on

If clowns took food away from your Gigantea, then your Gigantea is not as healthy as he should be.
I would feed him small amount and keep the clown from taken the food. He should improve as you feed him. Feed the clowns first would help. Have a little stick to keep the clown away from the food as you feed him will help too. Also put the food near the mouth and use the stick to help the anemone get food into the mouth. Once the anemone is healthy, nothing will be able to take food away from him.
By small amount, I would consider small pieces up to .25X.25X.25 inch cube.
You can feed every second or third day. Once they are healthy they can eat quite a bit. A 12 inches Gig can down a 1X1X.5 inch piece of fish without problem every few days.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2017, 08:38 AM   #45
Jeep_guy
Registered Member

Thanks Minh, I'll give that a try the next time I feed. As far as the health of the gig it's extremely sticky and has never deflated since I've had it.

Unread 03/20/2017, 06:27 PM   #46
nemguy
Registered Member

Gig acclimation

I would watch out with feeding the salmon to newer added anemones and try to let it perk up about before feeding it could get a bacterial infection from eating those kinds of foods not feeding them for awhile if not Bleached was always what I have most success with, also frozen brine and mysis is what he ate caught the fish food and when I fed him purposely he always got a freshly cracked open clam. I've lost so many nems from feeding previously frozen fish or cooled fish from the market hope this helps

Unread 03/20/2017, 06:36 PM   #47
davocean
Registered Member

I don't even feed a new nem for a couple weeks, and really I hardly ever spot feed other than the mysis they may pick up at feeding time.
I found scallops to be best, fish don't seem to steal them so much or easy, most of my clowns never bothered.

That's some serious welts you got going on there, I've only had similar welts from a haddoni, no others, but mine did look like that, and not only that, it was the only nem my 5.5 yr old picasso's would never accept, and they actually bit at it when it was touching me, in a very aggressive manner, somewhat frantic.
They obviously sense things we do not.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2017, 07:44 PM   #48
worm5406

So far I have fed them 4 times. Raw shrimp twice and raw tuna twice.

I feed the clowns first. Then while they are busy I drop the food on the anemones.

My other haddoni the clown picks at the food sometimes. I know it must like what the anemone is having better than its own. The tugging of the food on a healthy anemone is stimulation to attach more around it so it does not escape. So the clowns tendencies to get a snack causes it to pull it in quicker.

When doing mysis a pile near its mouth lets it grab and ingest it quickly so that any that floats off or is taken is still enough to eat.

I have brushed off the clown before when it is stealing food.

I also have seen it take mysis and drop it off on the haddoni before.

I have fed shrimp, tuna, flounder, and salmon before. The salmon I did just a little .5" cube. On the others I feed up to 1 inch to 1.5 inch depending on the size of the anemone and last feeding.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
Unread 03/20/2017, 07:49 PM   #49
Jeep_guy
Registered Member

Thanks guys. It's actually fresh salmon that I pureed into a paste then flattened and froze. Minhs advice worked great though, I fed my clowns then while they were busy chasing and eating the pellets I placed a small piece about the size of a pencil eraser right next to the mouth and it devoured it in seconds. I will hold off for awhile now but I just feel better knowing it was able to eat.

Unread 03/20/2017, 07:58 PM   #50
worm5406

I never put anything actually frozen on it to feed. I always thaw it first in tank water.