Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03/20/2017, 07:01 PM   #1
DrewCam
Registered Member

Mag question

All my levels have been pretty spot on but in the past I never checked Mag all that often because every time I did it was like 1300-1400. Recently I bought all new reagents for my test kits and tested them all. Alkalinity was 175ppt, calcium was 465ppm, but my mag was at 880!! What creates this situation? I never really added much mag before and the levels seemed to hold. I do weekly water changes and assumed the salt mix was keeping my mag levels good. I guess not!! Any thoughts?

DrewCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2017, 07:07 PM   #2
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Testing error perhaps? Make sure to follow the directions to a T and see if you get the same results again. Having somebody else check your Magnesium wouldn't be such a bad idea either.

Last edited by AlSimmons; 03/20/2017 at 07:13 PM.
AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2017, 07:57 PM   #3
DrewCam
Registered Member

I tested more than once and Ive been doing this for awhile. The test kit might be very recently expired but I trust it. The tank is relatively new and doesn't grow coralline algae like I thought it might. Magnesium deficiency makes sense, but I'm just surprised. Never had problems keeping Mg levels pretty good with little effort up until now. Thanks for the response.

Old 03/20/2017, 08:24 PM   #4
greengeco82
Reefer

It depends on how often you do water changes, and what salt you are using. For example, instant ocean has low levels of mag and reef crystals has high. Also, those testers become unreliable over time. I kept adding mag when my red Sea kit read low, until my tank began to crash. Bought a new kit and mag read extremely high.

Current Tank Info: 190 gallon DSA mixed reef, 2 X 250W metal halides, 2 X 80w T5's, SRO 3000 skimmer, and a few other goodies under the hood
greengeco82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2017, 08:50 PM   #5
thegrun
Registered Member

If you are making any kind of regular water changes I suspect either a bad test kit or a bad batch of salt.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/24/2017, 08:26 PM   #6
DrewCam
Registered Member

I ordered new reagents for my mag kit but haven't received them yet. Also ordered some ESV magnesium and started adding that. I use Tropic Marin salt and do water changes every 1-2 weeks (10 gallons on an 80 gallon tank). Thanks for the responses.

Old 03/27/2017, 08:08 AM   #7
Lou Ekus
Registered Member

@DrewCam Mg issues can be sometimes be difficult to track down and diagnose. IF, after you have your water tested and verify your results, you still have questions, give me a call in the office and I'll do my best to help you figure things out. 413-367-0101

Lou Ekus is offline   Reply With Quote