Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/04/2019, 03:37 PM   #1
Anemone
Cloning Around

Vectra M1 Power Supply

A short(ish) story:

My Vectra M1 pump began cycling on and off every 10-15 seconds or so last night around 10 PM (why don't these things ever happen during normal business hours?). I tried turning it off and restarting, but still had the same problem. I turned down the flow, and found the pump stayed on, so I figured I might have dodged a bullet.

Two hours later (midnight), the pump goes off and the controller is completely dead (no lights). Being a good reefer (sometimes), I have a brand new Vectra M1 in a box for just such emergencies. I figure maybe the controller has gone bad, so I change out the controller, and everything seems to work.

2 AM and my son (who stays up all night to play video games) tells me my tank is acting up again. I check and find the new controller is acting just like the old one (the pump is cycling on and off). Figuring it must be the pump, and not wanting to burn out the brand-new controller, I shut the Vectra down for the rest of the night (the tank has two MP40s that keep circulation going in the tank).

First thing in the morning, I pull out the old pump and install the new one (so now I have a new pump and a new controller). Plug it in, and the problem still exists (pump cycling on and off every 10-15 seconds).

Sigh.

As a last-ditch effort to figure out the cause, I pull out the new power supply and plug it directly into the controller (bypassing the old power supply which is behind the stand (and the sump)), and voila! now everything works as it should!

I became a contortionist and got the old power supply out from behind the stand and plugged it into the controller, and the off-and-on problem started again.

So, after this not-so-short story, my question: How often do these power supplies fail? This one had been in use since the tank was started at the end of January, 2018. 16 months seems pretty short for a $350 pump part!

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s

Last edited by Anemone; 05/04/2019 at 03:44 PM.
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2019, 03:06 PM   #2
Anemone
Cloning Around

This was handled by Brandon via email. I probably should have read the sticky at the top first!

I am completely satisfied and impressed with Ecotech's customer service.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote