Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/14/2010, 05:36 PM   #1
mrvicz
Registered Member

RO/DI concern... help with DI cartridges pls

hello,

I buy RO water from a refilling station and its logging 7-20 TDS on my Hannah TDS-1. Now Im planning on getting this from spectrapure :

I would feed the RO water I buy to that DI assembly for further filtration and deionization. I was to buy a booster pump but Russ from Buckeyefieldsupply suggested against running a booster pump on the cartridges and just gravity feed the water to the DI assembly (thanks for the suggestion Russ).

Now my question is, since I can only elevate the RO water container to about 3 feet, will the pressure be enough? Can I use a small pump instead to feed RO water to the DI assembly, say a 100gph maxijet 400?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Vic

Current Project : 100gal Starphire All SPS

Last edited by mrvicz; 03/14/2010 at 05:48 PM.
mrvicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Nexenn
Registered Member

Whats the barrier to you just buying your own RO/DI unit? You can get one for nearly that price and just make it at home without having to go buy it and then feed it through another unit.

Nexenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2010, 08:04 PM   #3
radicaltimes
Registered Member

Listen to Russ. If you put to much volume thru the DI you won't be removing everything from the RO water

radicaltimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Saltcity
Moved On

Gravity is gravity... Just ask John Mayor(sorry for the joke)
If you can get 3 feet above the input on the DI your good!

BUT, I'm with Nexenn, Just buy a complete RO/DI kit and then no more trips to get water, it will be right there!!

Saltcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2010, 02:05 AM   #5
mrvicz
Registered Member

thanks for the input guys.

whats keeping me from buying the whole RO/DI unit is that i only top off about 7.5gals weekly and then I use NSW for water changes. i live a good 10-15 minutes away from a beach which doesnt have any house nearby and there's a reef just at knee level from the shore. so i figured it'd be best to get my WC water directly from the reef instead of having to make/mix my own SW.

so its more practical for me to just buy RO water and then just run it thru the D2 to further filter it. besides it only costs around $0.2 to have 30 gallons delivered to my place and $0.65 for 5 gallons of RO water. further computation would lead to a ~$4 monthly cost for my top off.

Current Project : 100gal Starphire All SPS
mrvicz is offline   Reply With Quote