Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/17/2019, 03:13 PM   #1
bumbus
Registered Member

Help ID'ing new growth on rock.

Hi all, I am newer to the hobby, and I made a rookie mistake of adding a piece of liverock to my tank without any prep work done to it. It has been approximately two weeks now, everything was fine until I noticed these fan like growths on the rock. I really am unsure of what they are, and was curious if anybody has an idea on what they could be. I am just nervous because they seem to be very prevalent on the new rock, and only on the new rock. I think I should yank it out, but any advice is much appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0340.jpg (78.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0349.jpg (70.8 KB, 31 views)
bumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2019, 03:17 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Clove polyps..
If you want corals that will spread all over then keep that rock.. If not chuck it now before they spread..
Choice is yours..some people want a tank of free corals..they are invasive though so if you want a coral tank then get rid of them now so you can have other corals

Unread 09/17/2019, 03:34 PM   #3
earwicker7
Registered Member

Clove polyps are underwater weeds, and nightmares unless you happen to like them. There are some absolutely stunning versions of them that would be cool if you're into a low maintenance tank with only one species of coral, as they will cover the rocks fast.

earwicker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2019, 06:12 PM   #4
bumbus
Registered Member

Thank you for the timely replies! I will be removing the rock ASAP! I already had a nuisance coral (Braireum) that tried to take over my tank, so definitely happy I caught this one. (You'd also think I had learned my lesson, but guess not!)

bumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2019, 08:50 PM   #5
Gangrene
Registered Member

If you're in my area I'll take it!

Gangrene is offline   Reply With Quote