Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Reef Breeders LEDs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07/08/2017, 10:17 PM   #1
docstach
Registered Member

? on photon V2

I was wondering if it would be possible to do a custom LED layout? Specifically I was hoping to add a few neutral/warm whites. I tend to prefer a more white look than most and have good luck running a few of them. Alternatively, how hard is it to replace some of the LEDs myself.

docstach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2017, 12:06 AM   #2
br88dy
Registered Member

There's a very small chance Logan can send you a custom V2 (that would be sweet if I'm wrong, though). If you're looking for an LED fixture that is capable of high PAR, is controllable, has a wide spread, and has a good white color output- the V2 is the fixture you want. It isn't a super "cool" white and it's not a super "warm" look either. When all of the other LED's are on and the white is mixed with the greens, blues, and reds, it really does look natural. There is a lot of customization to these lights, though, so it's easy to get the look you want.

Now, if you're the kind of guy that can replace standard LED's with other OEM LED's, then I'd say it wouldn't be too hard. But, if you start taking the fixture apart, the warranty (which is super generous btw) will most likely be voided. These fixtures have the latest LED technology and put out some serious PAR numbers. I can't say they come with a "warm" dominant look that you might be hoping for, but if you have the skills to replace LED's, this might be the best fixture for that kind of project. Just don't forget that you'll probably lose any kind of warranty once you decide to meddle with it.

Having said that- I'm intrigued by your curiosity and I hope to see some pictures of a possible DIY project you want to take on! I wish you the best of luck. Just know that the standard fixture comes with the spectrum you would need for any coral, and that your money would be well spent.

Keep us updated!

br88dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2017, 05:26 AM   #3
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I'm a big fan of Reef Breeders and the Photon V2. Ask almost anybody who is a regular here.

But if you want to get a VERY similar fixture with leds that are super easy to swap out, look at the RB Aquasanrise fixtures. The leds aren't even soldered in! They can be replaced with a small screw driver.

I bought my V2 fixtures (I have 2) before I was aware of the Aquasanrise line. If I were buying today, I'd probably go the extra bucks and get them instead.

Old 07/09/2017, 09:06 AM   #4
BranchingHammer
Registered Member

Can you buy them anywhere else than online?

BranchingHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2017, 09:50 AM   #5
docstach
Registered Member

Thanks. I figured this was a long shot but thought I would ask.

Old 07/10/2017, 05:29 PM   #6
Reef_Breeders
Sponsor

Hey,

To answer your question- yes! And I have done this a few times now. The only thing is that it is very labor intensive- it takes about an hour to do each light once you have it down to a process. Because of this we offer custom layouts sparingly and on a case by case basis.

Typically it costs about $50 per light to replace the greens and reds with warm whites, less for the 24s and 16s because they require less LEDs replaced. Setup time remains about the same however, since the longest part is opening the lights, and closing/testing them.

Reef Breeders LLC
Reef_Breeders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2017, 07:28 AM   #7
docstach
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Breeders View Post
Hey,

To answer your question- yes! And I have done this a few times now. The only thing is that it is very labor intensive- it takes about an hour to do each light once you have it down to a process. Because of this we offer custom layouts sparingly and on a case by case basis.

Typically it costs about $50 per light to replace the greens and reds with warm whites, less for the 24s and 16s because they require less LEDs replaced. Setup time remains about the same however, since the longest part is opening the lights, and closing/testing them.
Logan, Thanks for your response. That is good to know. Now I just need to decide what exactly I want to do, but a photon 24 with the green and red replaced with white sounds like it may be a good option vs the Aquasanrise Plus R60 as it will still be a little cheaper.

Old 07/14/2017, 08:57 PM   #8
docstach
Registered Member

OK, sorry one more question. What is the distance between the most outside lights (IE left most LED to right most LED) on the 24? I am trying to decide if all the lights on the 24 will fit between my braces on the aquarium. I figure if those lights are going to be blocked, I might as well get the 16 instead.

Thanks, Matt

Old 07/15/2017, 12:02 PM   #9
youcallmenny
Registered Member

From left side of leftmost LED to right side of rightmost LED is 21" on the v2-24".

youcallmenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2017, 08:44 PM   #10
docstach
Registered Member

Perfect. Thanks!