Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/22/2017, 06:45 AM   #1
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

disaster and possible rebirth

I have 4 tanks set up as 2 systems. The main is a 125g and a 50g. The back room system is a 65g shallow reef (4'x2'x14") and a 25g frag tank.

Friday morning we woke up to find the 1hp chiller thermostat had failed and was continually cooling the tank. The condensation running off the glass was a pool of water on the floor. The 2 main tanks were just under 60 degrees. The backroom tanks are a separate system, so no issues.

The main tank was 60 to 70% sps and now, 2 days later, 95% of them are dead along with all the fish, sea stars, shrimp and a cucumber (I think... but it could be alive under the rocks). The 50g is mostly anemones and a few corals, including a few more dead sps.

I have a long explanation and a discussion of what my future plans might be in my build thread. If you are interested, please read today's post
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...&postcount=248

If you want to read the full thread, the link is
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2593017

Please feel free to make comments, suggestions or criticisms . I'm planning a serious change in course and any help will be welcomed to the confusion that is already clogging my head!!!

Thanks.

Unread 10/22/2017, 07:06 AM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

Ron - so sorry to hear this! Times like this really do suck, but all of us who've been at it long enough have suffered similar disasters.

I think you are on the right track. I have always tried to keep things as simple as possible. IMHO, the more automation, the more chances for said automation to fail, so the only things I have set up that way are my lights, power heads (Gyre 250's), and dosing pumps. I recently suffered a somewhat similar problem when, while decreasing the timer on my Calcium dosing pump, I inadvertently switched it from "auto" to "on" and dumped 2 gallons of calcium 2-part into my 120DT, raising the Calcium from 600 (the "why" to changing the timer) to an estimated 1700ppm. I lost about 2/3 of my montipora sp corals in the process, and that failure was 100% mine, not the technology!

Pick up the pieces and take your time redoing things . Will it ever be the same? Nope. Will it, can it, be different but better? You Betcha!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 07:22 AM   #3
salty joe
Registered Member

Oh, what a bummer.

I looked at your first link real quick and wondered if it'd be worth it to keep the chiller but control it with a Ranco. Or maybe use a fan controlled by a Ranco blowing across the top of the tank. Running a chiller or dealing with humidity both cost money.

Maybe a water temp alert would be worthwhile.
Anyway, good luck!

Unread 10/22/2017, 07:31 AM   #4
Fredfish
Registered Member

Unread 10/22/2017, 07:55 AM   #5
Cliving1
Registered Member

Sorry to hear Ron, stay positive, and look forward.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 08:08 AM   #6
Wandering
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that

Wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 08:09 AM   #7
rdnyva
Registered Member

Sorry to hear this. We put allot of time, effort and money into this hobby, but it’s worth it. I’m sure you will rebuild.

I have my chiller’s thermostat set at 79 and is controlled by an Apex Lite set at 80. if either one fails the other will kick in.

Vertex Omega 180i Skimmer
ReefBreeders Photon 50 V2
rdnyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 08:53 AM   #8
d-man
Registered Member

Sorry to hear. That is also why anything that can nuke a tank I have on my apex as a back up as well.
For me it's just my heater and CaRx. The apex does nothing for me other than redundancy for those

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 10:26 AM   #9
wrott
Registered Member

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reefk...-aquatics.html

This can handle high amps and control it. I got one from Neptune about 7 years ago, they dont sell it now.
Sorry for the losses. Same thing happened to me with a power surge--it reset my 1/2HP chiller to 57F during the night, so i got a socket expansion module set to turn off <76F.

120g SPS, 125g mix, 56g FOWLR, 20g qt
wrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 01:26 PM   #10
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Thanks to all that have replied. Time has settled me down and I'll move forward with a different kind of tank. No more serious sps and no more expensive frags. From here here on it's all about the ability to fluoresce well under blue leds and being hearty coral!

Here is a small sample of the way the tank looks.

Unread 10/22/2017, 01:35 PM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

That stinks. Just reinforces how much our tanks skate on the proverbial thin edge of disaster. Trouble with large chillers (mine is 3/4 hp) is that amp draw means you cannot run them through a controller as a redundant thermostat. Mine would drop my system just as precipitously if the ranco stuck.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs

Last edited by ca1ore; 10/22/2017 at 01:49 PM.
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 01:39 PM   #12
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrott View Post
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reefk...-aquatics.html

This can handle high amps and control it. I got one from Neptune about 7 years ago, they dont sell it now.
Sorry for the losses. Same thing happened to me with a power surge--it reset my 1/2HP chiller to 57F during the night, so i got a socket expansion module set to turn off <76F.
Neptune recommends a third party device that does the same thing (Titan Hercules 3). Works for units up to 1/2 hp, but still not big enough for 3/4 or 1 hp (plus 1 hp may be 220). Rated to 15 amps, but the fine print says 12.5 amps max continouls load.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs

Last edited by ca1ore; 10/22/2017 at 01:48 PM.
Unread 10/22/2017, 05:58 PM   #13
Misled
RC Mod

So sorry for the problems Ron. Look at it from a different view. Those things you'd like to have done but didn't want to mess up the tank, do them now. As a very old reefer, there's always things I'd like to do differently in a set up system that aren't possible. Keep working on what you're doing and just let your mind think about where you're at. Then just move on.

Unread 10/22/2017, 09:51 PM   #14
nereefpat
Registered Member

So sorry, Ron. More bad luck.

Good luck with the reboot I hope you stick with it, and hope you continue to be a great resource around here.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 05:49 AM   #15
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Darn, sorry to see this Ron.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 06:20 AM   #16
MrsReefK
Registered Member

Sorry to see this, Ron. Good luck with the reboot, sounds like you are moving forward. Good for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrsReefK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 06:56 AM   #17
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

This morning the tank water is finally clear again. It looks almost normal except for all the skeletons. The rock flower anemones are looking normal and even all 10 tiny babies (pinhead to pencil eraser size) survived and are open. In fact we found a few we had missed in the blue leds last night. The RBTA's are doing a little better but nowhere near normal. About half the zoas are wide open and half are still closed up.

However, I do have a question/issue. My skimmer is now making very white bubbles at the top of the collection cup and they don't want to pop and drain down. Instead, they actually are pushing the top of the collection cup up off the cup and creating a big (as in 3 or 4 inches out the sides of the cup) ball of white foamy bubbles? In 12+ years I've never seen a skimmer foam like this. The bubbles in the neck of the skimmer look very normal, they just don't seem to pop.

I'm guessing they are so strong due to organics from the stuff that has died in the tank?

I did bad and cleaned it up this morning and I should have taken a photo. I intend to start pulling the tank apart to day. I need to get under the rocks and get after dead bodies.

Unread 10/23/2017, 07:52 AM   #18
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

I know I'm not saying anything new here, but hobbies are meant to be fun. This is an opportunity to make sure your tank actually supports that goal.

Good luck with the rebuild, I'm sure whatever you do will be spectacular and thoughtful.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 08:22 AM   #19
sde1500
Registered Member

Oh man that is awful, so sorry to hear that Ron.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 08:50 AM   #20
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Maybe your rebirth should be as a coldwater reef full of arctic critters.

Sorry, too soon?

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 09:19 AM   #21
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
ar normal. About half the zoas are wide open and half are still closed up.

However, I do have a question/issue. My skimmer is now making very white bubbles at the top of the collection cup and they don't want to pop and drain down. Instead, they actually are pushing the top of the collection cup up off the cup and creating a big (as in 3 or 4 inches out the sides of the cup) ball of white foamy bubbles? In 12+ years I've never seen a skimmer foam like this. The bubbles in the neck of the skimmer look very normal, they just don't seem to pop.

I'm guessing they are so strong due to organics from the stuff that has died in the tank?

I did bad and cleaned it up this morning and I should have taken a photo. I intend to start pulling the tank apart to day. I need to get under the rocks and get after dead bodies.
First, I am terribly sorry for your loss. That is a major tragedy. If there is any silver lining, it's that you aren't starting over in the sense of the tanking maturing process. As such, you should be pretty safe to start off where you left off and begin the restocking process as soon as the nutrients settle back down.

The thick foam is likely the result of the die off and all the resulting organics in the water. Take some silicone grease or even olive oil and add a think coat to the underside of the lid as well as the very top edge of the skimmer neck and upper outer edge of the neck. That should cause the foam to break down at the top of the neck and spill over into the cup as a liquid.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 09:31 AM   #22
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Neptune recommends a third party device that does the same thing (Titan Hercules 3). Works for units up to 1/2 hp, but still not big enough for 3/4 or 1 hp (plus 1 hp may be 220). Rated to 15 amps, but the fine print says 12.5 amps max continouls load.
Furman has a 20 amp device that they refer to as their Miniport that uses DC voltage as a trigger for the AC outlet. You would wire an AC Adapter to the input on the Furman to activate the 20 amp power outlet. It could also be triggered via the Apex's 0-10v output or a standard AC adapter connected to the energy bar outlet.
They have both 15 and 20amp options but they aren't cheap.
http://www.furmanpower.com/sites/fur...-15_manual.pdf

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 09:55 AM   #23
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I had looked at the Q models, but they are limited to 12A per receptacle. Hadn't seen the other ones though. Good link.

Unread 10/23/2017, 10:04 AM   #24
DivingTheWorld
Registered Member

I'm sorry to hear about this Ron. The good news is I see some great collecting trips in the Keys in your future!

Unread 10/23/2017, 06:12 PM   #25
bustybones
Registered Member

Is it possible that a Cuke nuke possibly could have exasperated the problem.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bustybones is offline   Reply With Quote