Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/13/2016, 06:42 PM   #51
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Well the astrea and blenny don't eat the algae and I think I know why I have it. My top off water is from the grocery store ro unit. I think I'm getting some kind of tds that is causing the algae growth.

I'll get my ro unit up and running when I get tax return and get a di resin chamber as well. Just haven't had the time or money to get it going.

Bagabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2016, 12:36 AM   #52
Babydaull
Registered Member

Algae eaters

I have 3-4 Trochus snails and they destroyed my algae awhile back. I also have a blue legged hermit crab that has quite the appetite for algae as well!

Babydaull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2016, 03:07 PM   #53
Bagabaga
Registered Member

I may such a dummy why did I say astrea? I have banded trochus snails.

Unread 11/14/2016, 04:22 PM   #54
Bagabaga
Registered Member

And forgot to mention my acropora browned out but is starting to grow new skeleton on its edges. Yay!

Unread 11/18/2016, 05:51 PM   #55
Bagabaga
Registered Member

I inherited some nassarius snails from a friend and am worried they won't live without a sand bed. Is that in anyway true?

I got about 5 of them and some corals as well. Dipped all the corals and found no pests knocked off in the dip so I added them after some acclimation. I also got a bubble tip anemone from the guy and hope he makes a recovery as he shrunk quite a bit when in his tank.

The guys tank was covered in cyano and he couldn't keep up with maintenance on it. I went and picked up his inhabitants which included: green trumpet, purple torch, peach hammer, some orange zoas, a frag of the same gorgonian I already have. The nem, snails and a flame hawkfish who resides in my sump because I love my shrimp too much.

Also got a newer t5 fixture and a jebao wp10

I'll post pics soon.

Unread 11/18/2016, 09:01 PM   #56
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Sounds like a nice haul. Nothing really needs a sand bed, unless their food source is in the sand bed, and nassarius snails should eat any leftover food they find around the bottom of the tank.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2016, 06:36 PM   #57
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Here's some pics, don't mind the algae battle I seem to be losing.

The nem is pretty small too. About 2" across his tentacles.

Not sure if that last one is a torch or hammer but it was a bluish tip with dark tentacles before.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5049.jpg (36.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5043.jpg (29.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5019.jpg (30.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5014.jpg (41.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5015.jpg (42.5 KB, 85 views)
Unread 11/19/2016, 06:37 PM   #58
Bagabaga
Registered Member

The gorgonian is still angry about its dip in Bayer insecticide, he looks ok, not great maybe the Bayer was a bad idea for it. It has a bit of tissue loss near its base.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5013.jpg (46.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5016.jpg (38.7 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by Bagabaga; 11/19/2016 at 07:02 PM.
Unread 11/22/2016, 07:46 PM   #59
Bagabaga
Registered Member

I took the fish and nem and zoas to the leds and got a credit and got some turbo snails and a purple pseudochromis and have some credit left.

Unread 11/23/2016, 01:08 AM   #60
rockryno
Registered Member

Good to see another Denver reefer here. I have since moved to Cali, but remember all the shops you went to.

Sounds like you are getting your tank figured out. I have never had anything over 20 gal, and usually all sps. I have found that the less you do to your tank the better it will grow. I have a 20L bare bottom currently, full of sps, and i just do weekly 5 gal water changes. I only test salinity, and the tank is growing out of control. Keep it simple, youll be much happier.

rockryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2016, 10:07 AM   #61
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Hey cool, I was the opposite I grew up in California and moved to Denver for school.

What kind of salt do you use? I use Kent reef salt.

Any equipment you'd like to share or build thread?

Thanks!

Unread 11/23/2016, 07:14 PM   #62
rockryno
Registered Member

Ive used salinity for years.

All of my tanks have the same general theme. 10 and 20 gallon longs, AC70 filter fuges, cheato, and good lighting. For the most part, pretty inexpensive and simple.

20Ls

10g

Unread 11/24/2016, 06:46 PM   #63
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Nice how was that gyre?

Unread 11/24/2016, 07:59 PM   #64
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Under pure actinic led moon light.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5129.jpg (27.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5130.jpg (33.7 KB, 75 views)
Unread 11/26/2016, 10:53 AM   #65
rockryno
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagabaga View Post
Nice how was that gyre?
Awesome! It's the xf130 on pulse at 50%. Pretty low profile and quiet. Really creates a nice wave action. I like them better than the mp10s in the previous tanks.

Just ordered the 230 with new controller and will be selling the 130.

Unread 11/30/2016, 02:04 PM   #66
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Nice I may look into one. After adding the turbo snails and cleaning the rock manually and dosing vodka for a little while now I believe I'm seeing a recession in the hair algae and a super increase in my coraline algae growth. My dkh is dropping steadily and I've been dosing accordingly. I went from that super high 11 down to 7-8 and have been maintaining it at that level. I've been dosing calcium in small amounts with the alkalinity solution. Acro looks great and is growing. I want to drop the cash on some quality ati bulbs beginning next year. So far I'm enjoying the t5 grow light with individual reflectors. Even with inferior bulbs.

I also believe that the jebao wp10 on pulse mode has increased the level of growth.

I love my new purple pseudochromis he's such a personable fish.

Is selcon worth adding to my frozen scallops for feeding? They were dry pack scallops I got from work before they were going to be thrown out and I chopped them down fine and frozen them.

I have some more rock that's dry I'm wondering if I should put it in the sump for more bio filtration surface area. Is that wise to do as the system stabilizes?

Unread 11/30/2016, 02:25 PM   #67
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 11/30/2016, 03:22 PM   #68
ReefWreak
Registered Member

If you trust the rock, it could be worthwhile. If you have any questions about the cleanliness/purity of it, you can always give it a vinegar/muriatic acid bath first to burn off any potential contamination and then use it after you've washed it out/neutralized the acid. Or you can save yourself the hassle and buy a marinepure or brightwell block and keep that in the sump (and keep it clean i.e. no light or detritus).

If feeding scallops, if you already made a mix, that's fine, but I'd try to only use the meat and wash out any of the liquid they were in. With the selcon, it's great for fussy eaters, but if you don't need it, especially in a nano which is really sensitive to nutrients, I wouldn't add it.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2016, 07:53 PM   #69
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Yeah it's clean rock. I bleached it and it was rinsed and it's been sitting for a year. Maybe I'll just get some marinepure.

The scallop meat was just that. Meat only. It's no mix just frozen scallop meat. And they were dry pack which means they had no liquid to be shipped in.

Unread 12/04/2016, 09:04 PM   #70
Bagabaga
Registered Member

So good news is my tank is consiming about 2dkh every couple of days and I dose that and calcium regularly.

Super excited to see some growth blow up.

I'm going to add the rock on my weekend and figure out how to set up my old auto feeder for my vacation days coming up.

I'll be out of town for about 15 days for the holidays and I'm nervous about leaving my tank. I don't have any friends I trust to come into my home and care for it. They wouldn't know what to do. And I don't have any friends. Lol

Unread 12/30/2016, 09:52 PM   #71
Bagabaga
Registered Member

So vacation happened... kalk locked up my ato float and my water level got dangerously low. While I was gone my auto feeder dumped food and upped my nutrient level and algae got super green and grew a lot. So did my coralline algae. Double edge sword I guess for running saturated kalk for that time.

Unread 01/04/2017, 12:21 PM   #72
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Turbo snails grew half an inch of shell recently. Going to get big fast. Finally got my jbj auto top off up and running with a powerhead for filling 145gph flow rate is perfect for my tanks. I have been using kalk into top off so it maintains that beautiful coralline algae.

I do have a problem with a trumpet coral looking terrible and I don't know what the problem is. I'll test and get back on it.

My algae bloom locked up the nutrients in the tank pretty hard because I tested for nitrates and it read 0. Which I know wasn't true. This tax season I'll buy some Hannah testers for my tank and get some quality bulbs.

Beside the nutrient issue my coral color's are getting better and growth is kind of slow but steady. Super excited for this tank to mature.

Unread 01/21/2017, 01:37 AM   #73
Bagabaga
Registered Member

The nutrients went low and the hair algae died off hard. I'm getting a cacliferous green algae on my glass that is hard to scrape off. Any ideas on what that is from?

I found my trumpet is dying because my alk swing when I lost water. My alk test turned out to be 11 as well. All else looks fine. I think my acropora is browning. I don't mind as long as it lives. I've been thinking about getting some birds nest and stylo for the tank. Maybe some millepora for the long tentacles.

Hell I may just go full lps tank, I do like acans and bright colored hammers and frogspawn.

But I do love the look of a full sps tank.

My coralline algae also seems to either be dying or over grown by green. Any way to keep it from dying? I've kept stable alk and calcium levels. It's maintained by kalk in my ato.

Last edited by Bagabaga; 01/21/2017 at 01:44 AM.
Unread 01/21/2017, 01:41 AM   #74
Bagabaga
Registered Member

I've got a billion copepods now too. Lol they are an army.

Unread 01/22/2017, 03:25 PM   #75
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Haven't tested nitrates and phosphates in a while. Kind of don't care to anymore. Been testing alkalinity and my alk went up to around 12dkh from the kalk in my ato. So I put frag water there until alk tests lower and I'll add less kalk to my ato next time. Was experiencing some alk burn on my acropora valida which prompted the test.

All the los are happy as a clam lol. Gorgonian is happy as well.

Anyone in Denver have any birdsnest frags or stylo they want to get rid of? I'm looking for easy sps. And was wondering if there were any charitable reefers in my area? Thanks!