Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2017, 02:38 AM   #101
Bagabaga
Registered Member

And of course I'm back to talking to myself. Lol.

Light won't ship today unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bagabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2017, 03:52 PM   #102
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Light will ship next week according to the factory. I think they were backed up in orders. They didn't tell me that though. And I'll have to pay a duty and tax fee when it arrives.

Today I made a change to the tank. During maintenance I removed the cutting board and couldn't believe the amount of chaeto and stuff under it. Lol now it's an actual bare bottom.

I'll keep the nutrients low and hope they get my fish in at the lfs.

Thanks for reading.

Unread 03/06/2017, 12:20 PM   #103
Bagabaga
Registered Member

They didn't get my Pygmy angel in at the lfs where I had credit. But they did have a small flame angel that I picked up. I know it's going to get bigger but I plan to upgrade tanks.

Right now it's circling the end of the tank and picks at algae and meaty foods and rips at scallop meat. I hope that means it's eating. I've even put a clip with two different algae in the tank and one is on a rock.

Picked up and dipped some new corals yesterday. Plan is to do a euphyllia garden on the right side and some easier sps on the tall left rock and if it survives the dip a Xenia overflow.

I'll get pics later of all the goodies.

Removing the cutting board and clearing out some chaeto I hope that nutrients stay low.

I'm hoping my hard work pays off with this.

I hope to upgrade to a 40breeder in the future I may even do it all hang on the back stuff.

Unread 03/06/2017, 12:49 PM   #104
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Sounds good!

The flame should stay small for quite a while. I've had mine for 2.5 years now, and the person before me had it in a 34g for maybe 2 years before that, and its size is quite manageable.

I love that mine swims around the tank picking and picking. As long as it's not picking on coral polyps or clam mantles, all is right with the world. If it is ripping at food, you should be good.

Sounds like a nice plan, especially with the upgrade if/when that happens. The key is just stability for long-term happiness, so don't feel rushed to upgrade.

Did you ever figure out the gorgonian color thing? They tend to shed a waxy skin, so that might have why the color went away temporarily? Or maybe it was a non-photosynthetic one and it is dying and losing color?

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 10:30 PM   #105
Bagabaga
Registered Member

It's photosynthetic. It's grown 4 inches since I've had it. I think it was just a phase it was going through. It's color is back now.

I bought a neon frogspawn, firefly chalice piece, a tiny frag of orange digitata, and silver Xenia.

I got a mini colony of stylo or pocillopora from another reefer in exchange for a gallon ziplock full of chaeto.

All got dipped and checked over.

Only issue I have is the new frogspawn has an acrylic plug that I hate. Should I cut the frag off the plug or just export it into place?

Flame angel is gorgeous and picking at pellets and scallops the most. I haven't seen any picking at he nori but plenty of picking at the micro algae on the rocks. Super excited to watch it get cleaned by the skunk shrimp.

My light is delayed and it makes me sad. I want to see if the major or minor diffusion things for Jessica will work as well. I think they are just opaque silicone so I'll see if I can make or buy an alternative.

I'm making my weekly water changes and dosing alkalinity. Wednesday is water change day and I'll do a full round of testing as well. I'm attempting to raise my salinity a small amount ever change.

More to come with pics as the corals open up fully.

Unread 03/06/2017, 10:48 PM   #106
Diana A
Registered Member

If you got pocillopora be careful. It grows quickly but when it settles in, it will start to drop pieces in your tank. It will spread quickly...more so than green star polyps. You will find it in different parts of your tank growing. It is a pretty coral and I had purchased one too. I got rid of mine. I came on here to research it and was shocked at my findings. It grows like a unwanted weed.

Unread 03/07/2017, 02:13 AM   #107
Bagabaga
Registered Member

It is definitely a pocillopora. I really wouldn't mind if it dropped babies off here and there in the tank. I've got enough frogspawn that I think they won't grow near those and I think Xenia even sting corals that get too close so I'll see in the future. Maybe I'll just place some birdsnest near it so they compete for space. I like the color of it and will get some pics when the lights are on tomorrow.

My tank is really filling in and I love how the angel swims all over all day picking and watching me.

Unread 03/07/2017, 08:34 AM   #108
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Yea, pocillapora are cool till they're not. I used to find colonies growing in my skimmer and plumbing when I had a light in my sump on my old 120g tank. They don't really bug anything though, they're just taking up calcium/alkalinity for a coral you don't want. Some of them are very beautifully colored though. Nice trade for just chaeto though!

With the flame, don't worry about them not eating greens. I've never fed mine greens directly. The pellets I used to feed had algae in them, and I do see it graze on algae plenty. I'm surprised yours gets cleaned that quickly after introduction into the tank, but mine did the same too. My cleaner and flame angel have a much closer relationship than any of the other fishes.

If you're dosing for calcium/alkalinity, you should aim to dose them close to in equal parts, unless you're adding an acid somewhere which would suppress alkalinity disproportionately (i.e. dosing vinegar, etc.).

Unread 03/07/2017, 12:22 PM   #109
Bagabaga
Registered Member

I haven't dosed in a while. Nothing was using it except the snails and my calcium was over 500 last I checked.

They haven't formed a relationship yet, I was just speculating as to what I'd love to see eventually.

Just saw the flame pull on some laver seaweed on a clip a minute ago. I'll keep adding it as it disappears.

I'm going to test tomorrow before my water change to see where things are and after again to see the new balance of things.

Update on the sump though is that the purple pseudo actually likes that area more than the main tank. It's got slower flow and a rock outcrop that he hides in. Eats pellets as I drop them in and seems happy. The sump is lightly lit by the barebottom not having a cutting board anymore.

And pics!

This last one is making a great recovery

Unread 03/07/2017, 12:29 PM   #110
Diana A
Registered Member

the photo isn't clear enough for me to tell...is that bryopsis on the frag?

Unread 03/07/2017, 12:53 PM   #111
Bagabaga
Registered Member

And of course the angel has Ich now.

Any advice? I'll try and get him in a quarantine with hypo for a few weeks

Unread 03/07/2017, 01:40 PM   #112
Bagabaga
Registered Member

It's just a hair algae of some sort. There's no branching on the stalks. At least not the same I've seen of bryopsis.

Unread 03/07/2017, 01:45 PM   #113
Bagabaga
Registered Member

The angel has white spots on its side and fin. Could it clear up on its own? He's active and eating.

Unread 03/07/2017, 02:04 PM   #114
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Once it's in your tank, you have to run your tank fishless for 72+ days to clear the tank of ich. If it has been there a while, and you haven't noticed, just keep the fishes well fed and make sure there's no aggression, and they'll be okay. Ich has traditionally been considered to be just part of having a reef tank. It's only recently that people have begun doing TTM (Tank transfer method) to easily get rid of ich before introducing new fishes to the tank. That's why you QT, though most hobbyists never both (myself include, but in this case, do as I say, not as I do!).

Unread 03/08/2017, 03:15 AM   #115
Bagabaga
Registered Member

The two fish are separate from each other and the ich must have come in with the flame or with the previous fish. He's been stressed and rubbing on the glass the side with the spots. I know it's dumb not to quarantine but it's hard with 5 people in 750 Sq ft.

I'll keep an eye on him the next two and if it gets worse I'll medicate immediately.

Unread 03/08/2017, 06:11 AM   #116
Diana A
Registered Member

Oh wow! Ick in your new tank!

Unread 03/10/2017, 12:02 PM   #117
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Yup it's ich. Gonna take both fish out and go fallow on the display for 60-80 days. I'll be doing hypo for thecrecommended 4 weeks. Got a refractometer and my extra 20 long and filter/heater and I'll be starting that as soon as I have enough rodi made to supplement the display. My wife got a 10 gallon for her betta so that's where my reserve went.

I'm not buying livestock at stores anymore either. Got a nice colony of pink millepora that melted over night after it was dipped and acclimated to thectank.

Wish me luck!

Unread 03/10/2017, 12:35 PM   #118
Diana A
Registered Member

What dip did you use?

Unread 03/11/2017, 12:35 AM   #119
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Bayer advanced. It didn't cause the melt. The colony was weak and my powerhead must have assisted with the stn

Unread 03/11/2017, 08:00 PM   #120
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Started my tank transfer method today. Will keep display fish free until may.

Method I'm using is two 10 gallon storage bins with 4" pvc hides. A fluval 50 for mechanical filtration a heater each and air stone. I didn't find any reason not to use treated tap water for this process as I will be changing the tank every third day. After I find I've gotten rid of the ich the fish will go into a 20 long quarantine tank where I will treat for internal parasites then after a month of hanging out in that tank back into the ich free display.

This is stressful already.

Unread 03/12/2017, 03:54 PM   #121
Bagabaga
Registered Member

All good so far, they ate a bit and ammonia hasn't spiked so I'll keep a fresh bucket of salt handy for changes. No gasping no erratic behavior. Crossing my fingers.

I plan to do the full transfer method and hold in qt until tank is clear. I'm hoping by the end of April the chances of ich are none existent .

Unread 03/18/2017, 12:11 AM   #122
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Got my leds today. Super excited I'll make a write up when I've had then for a while.

Fish got flipped to a fresh tank last night and seem well. I finished the all in one in another 20 long and I'll keep them in that as quarantine until display is clear or ich in April.

Unread 03/18/2017, 12:50 PM   #123
Diana A
Registered Member

Sounds great!

Unread 03/22/2017, 09:48 PM   #124
Bagabaga
Registered Member

Last flip is tonight. They are being flipped into the quarantine tank they will be held in until they can go back to the display. It's an all in one I built from a 20 long and glass from a 10 gallon I got for free. Three chambers, overflow to middle media chamber and return chamber. The seals leak a bit but not significantly it's because I rushed the silicone job. It's got a basic freshwater lamp with Timer on it for light.

It's a barectank with pvc hides a heater and a new ammonia alert. I used a bottled bacteria supplement and bottled bacteria to jump start the eheim subtrat.

The fish look fine and get along.

Unread 03/25/2017, 01:31 AM   #125
Bagabaga
Registered Member

And the flame is rubbing gills and the pseudo has some fin rot. I'm at a loss here. Any advice? I'll see if spots come back and if not then I'll treat for parasites.