Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2017, 02:20 PM   #1
patiof
Registered Member

did my heliofungia (long tent plate) eat a shrimp?

i have a long tentacle plate coral thats roughly the size of the palm of hand or a bit bigger. its in a 10 gallon tank and doing well for a few months now, but i'm now missing a peppermint shrimp.

to properly set the stage, when i last saw the shrimp a few nights ago, it was trying to wrestle a piece of food away from the plate coral. it was frantically picking at the piece of fish the coral had, and i thought winning the match, but now i'm not so sure. too bad i didn't have the time to watch the drama unfold.

no other signs of the shrimp, like pieces of shell (though i haven't cleaned yet) and the only other culprit would be the single dottyback in there. i just don't think the dottyback could have been the culprit without leaving some evidence behind.

anyone else have experience with this coral taking out something as significant?

patiof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2017, 09:34 AM   #2
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Sometimes when a shrimp molts they'll disappear for a few days.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2017, 11:32 AM   #3
patiof
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSimmons View Post
Sometimes when a shrimp molts they'll disappear for a few days.
yeah i've had them missing for up to maybe a day, but i usually find the shed straight away in those cases.

this was a female with eggs, so i could also see her disappearing for a bit longer than usual without knowing their breeding habits offhand.

at any rate, still missing since sunday night so, i'm about 90% convinced i have a well feed coral right now.

Unread 06/22/2017, 12:18 PM   #4
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Yeah, I'm still having a hard time believing that a Heliofungia could capture and eat a HEALTHY Peppermint shrimp. These things have got some real jets when they want to get away from something. Stranger things have happened though I guess.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2017, 12:39 PM   #5
patiof
Registered Member

i'm gonna do a pretty thorough cleaning of the tank this weekend, so any traces left behind should turn up then.

i do think she may have recently molted, as there was a shed in there that morning. i wonder if that my have me her more vulnerable.

i guess i keep coming back to how frantic she seemed, but as far as i can tell it was that she was frantically picking at the piece of fish. again, i i didn't get more than a 10 second glimpse tops. 5 seconds more likely.

Unread 06/29/2017, 10:29 AM   #6
patiof
Registered Member

after a thorough cleaning and finding no trace evidence, i'm about 99% sure it did devour the shrimp. its only a 10 gallon and the only thing capable of disappearing the shrimp in such short order.

Unread 06/29/2017, 10:38 AM   #7
ClownNut
Registered Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psV9qDSrUMM
unless the shrimp is dead. most likely not your LTP
i will give up this hobby before i would let a dottyback into my display tank.(one and only exception orchid dottyback)

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2017, 12:14 PM   #8
patiof
Registered Member

i've seen the dottyback harass the shrimp like that in my own tank, but the shrimp is literally half the size of the dottyback, so i can't see how there would have been no evidence whatsoever of that happening.

i will say that i could see the dottyback taking out a freshly molted shrimp, but again, it would have been stuffed to the gills like an anaconda that swallowed a deer.

the ltp on the other hand is both large enough to swallow the shrimp whole and conceal the evidence.

fwiw, i did see the dotty back catch a blue-legged hermit checking out another shell and that didn't end well for the crab. it did leave some evidence behind too.

Unread 07/17/2017, 08:50 AM   #9
patiof
Registered Member

i guess i have come back around and dialed back my initial suspicion that the LTP coral ate the shrimp. i'm back to about 50/50 and not really sure what happened.

i don't recall if i had just cleaned the tank, and if that was the case, i have noticed if i do a large 50% ish water change (been battling some hair algae), my shrimp have sometimes gotten a bit wonky after. like sluggish and seeking shelter around the ltp coral.

i did see the coral expelling a large amount of material following this weeks massive cleaning though. some real dark, long stringy looking stuff and then a shrimp-sized mass of grayish material that looks very similar to wet lint/dust bunnies.

hope that's normal. don't necessarily thing the gray stuff was the shrimp though, as i do feed it a few times a week and that was the first evacuation i've noticed, though there are some other signs around...