Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/22/2017, 11:20 PM   #1
bcb577
Registered Member

clam in 14 gallon. biocube

Hi all,,,,,i have a 14 gallon coralife biocube 14 gallon tank with stock lighting except I did add the optional led white strip. I really at some point in my lifebwant a clam,the smallest easiest clam I can get.my questions is,,,,,,,is the stock lighting with the extra led strip ok? or do I need stronger lighting? My guess with this hobbys demand, that ill need to upgrade my lighting.i just want to have a great environment for my clam,thanks!

bcb577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 06:13 AM   #2
carrots
Registered Member

IMO the tank size is way too small for any clam. In a tank that small it will be very hard to maintain optimum water conditions stable enough for a clam. I bet that even the best large reef tanks still only have a 50% chance at keeping a clam alive for over a year. Again IMO it would be best to wait until you have a bigger tank and better lighting.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 09:59 AM   #3
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

the smallest giant clam available also happens to be the one with the highest light demands. T. crocea stays the smallest of all the commonly kept giant clams, but requires considerable light levels to survive in captivity. i doubt that the stock lighting in a bio cude plus an extra LED strip would be adequate.

additionally, i would echo parts of what carrots said. 14 gallons is a very small water volume given the ability of these clams to suck up alk and cal. the larger the tank the easier it is to keep things stable, so it would be more challenging (though i'm sure not impossible) to keep a clam in that small a tank. it would likely require lots of dosing, and a keen eye on your params at all times.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote