Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/25/2017, 01:15 AM   #1
immortl
Registered Member

Question Aquamaxx WS-1 and Biocube 29

I am ready to give up on my Tunze 9001 and would like to try out the Aquamaxx WS-1 in my Oceanic Biocube 29. I would like to put it in the 2nd (middle) chamber along with the InTank media basket.

Does anyone have ideas if this will work, and if so, what would be required?

Based on what I've read so far, I believe it will need to sit on a stand of sorts to get it to the proper level, and I'll need to cut a hole in the side of the media basket to accommodate the pump intake. Will the rest of it all fit side by side in the middle chamber after the hole is cut? So far, I'm thinking having a real and functional skimmer is worth the hassle of having to pull both out to change out the media in the basket.

I also understand that the skimmer will be too tall to close the rear lid. I have ideas to cut it so that it can close around the skimmer/collection cup.

Anyone have any suggestions regarding or experience with this setup? Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Joe

immortl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 10:37 AM   #2
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I added the WS-1 a few months ago. It does need a slight stand (I actually just put a rock under it). As far as the media basket, that I'm not sure about.

I also don't think you'd be able to (or want to) cut the biocube lid to smoothly open around the skimmer lid, because it would make a big chunk out of the lid right in the middle-back center (right in front of the lid, you'd probably have to carve out 2-3"). It might look a bit off. That being said, it's very little effort to remove the skimmer cup when opening the lid.

Feel free to drop any other questions about the setup, since I've been running it very successfully the last few months, and am thoroughly impressed with the performance of the WS-1.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 12:29 PM   #3
immortl
Registered Member

So does the lid close with the skimmer in the 2nd chamber? I was under the impression that it would be too tall and the lid wouldn't close. If the lid closes, that's even better.

Thanks,
Joe

Upon re-reading your post, I think I understand better. The hole in the lid, in order to allow the lid to swing up and around the collection cup, would need to be larger.

Last edited by immortl; 09/26/2017 at 12:36 PM.
Unread 09/26/2017, 02:26 PM   #4
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Yes the cup can be on the skimmer while the lid is closed, however the back/top door needs to be open, but as you said, it sounds like you get what I'm saying. Let me know if you want me to upload pics.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2017, 01:12 AM   #5
immortl
Registered Member

Thanks for your help. I installed the skimmer last weekend and it's working great.

Thanks,
Joe

Unread 10/16/2017, 02:20 PM   #6
smatter
Registered Member

The WS-1 is too much skimmer for my REEFER Nano. I pulled it out recently. It did pull some nice skim, when it had something to pull. The thing sure releases a lot of bubbles though.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote