Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/12/2019, 10:35 AM   #1151
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Thanks for following, lifeoffaith!

I'm curious about your reasoning for abandoning weeds for sticks. No judgement, just curious. Would you care to share?

Reefing has a much better road map for success, than weed-keeping. By now, the important numbers to hit for corals are well known, as well as which devices are needed to hit them. So, I would think it would feel less daunting and mysterious to follow those well-worn steps.

For marine plant growers, there is a lot of conflicting information, and many of the methods and techniques fly in the face of conventional wisdom. I can see how some might shy away from such uncertainty.
I think part of it is similar to what you discovered in V1, that sticking to a specific region was more difficult than expected. I also had my new fish all dissapear, I suspect due to the arrow crab that was in the tank. He eventually died, and my other tanks were "out of sight, out of mind" and were being neglected. I had two fish that I wanted to put into this tank and they didn't fit with my plan to stick to Carribean species, so that kind of forced me out of the box. Also, I do really miss a decent coral set up which I haven't had for a while, so I decided to just change up my approach a bit and go back to corals.

All that said, I'm doing some very early preliminary planning for a frogfish tank, so I will likely go back to some sort of macroalgae/sponge tank in the new setup alongside my coral tank. You may remember that was my original plan for the macroalgae tank, and that got put on a back burner for a bit.

lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2019, 02:44 PM   #1152
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Outstanding pics. Your tank is so amazing, all the variety of flora and fauna. The colors are amazing too. The patch reef looks almost an extension out from the wall, very natural. Wow, those mangroves are shooting up fast!

Two questions for ya:

How are the tuxedos getting along now?

What's the algae in the upper LH corner of the wall?

Keep up the good work, and thanks for taking/posting pics! Great stuff, man!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2019, 05:11 PM   #1153
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Thanks Kevin!

I'm pretty stoked with how it's going! A lot of the life came from the live rock. I just provided the conditions needed, and voila! The mangroves have about a foot to go to reach the surface. I have no idea if they'll make it or not. They're turning out to be more than I expected - in a good way. The fake root was so big and horsey. These little guys are just right!

The tuxedo damsels have reached an understanding. Brutus and Papillon keep the left half of the tank, and Francois stays in the right half. At feeding time, he's allowed to eat, like everyone else. Otherwise he's basically been ostracized. Papillon, which I now believe to be female, visits him occasionally, and they seem to have some chemistry - more so than with Brutus, who shows no interest in spawning that I can see. I'm still kind of tempted to try to add one or two more. We'll see!

Is the algae you're asking about kind of gold-to-brown? If so, that's the brown grasilaria I've been trying to get rid of. It's been in decline, but it still hangs around.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018

Last edited by Michael Hoaster; 11/12/2019 at 10:47 PM.
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2019, 10:13 PM   #1154
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Thanks lifeoffaith! Good luck with your reef tank!

Old 11/12/2019, 10:21 PM   #1155
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

I hate when I post pics, then it goes to the next page!

Old 11/13/2019, 02:22 PM   #1156
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Excellent pics again. The algae that I was referring to is where the tuxedo damsel is in the 3rd pic against the wall.

Also, I meant to ask before, how is your barnacle blenny doing?

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2019, 02:40 PM   #1157
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Yep, that's brown grasilaria. It can look OK as a stem plant, but it also grows as a turf phenotype, which I have, and I really don't like it. The brown color looks dingy and dirty.

My two barnacle blennies are doing well. They do fine with all the other guys. Since they were in the tank first, they're pretty bold! They're not living super close to each other, but the female swings by to visit the male occasionally. I actually tried to get some pics of them, but none were good enough to post.

Old 11/14/2019, 08:07 AM   #1158
McPuff
Registered Member

Wow, it's really filling in nicely!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2019, 09:08 AM   #1159
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Thanks McPuff!

It's coming along. I'm not driving the system quite as hard as I did in v1. By that I mean I'm not dosing as frequently. I'm trying to maintain some control over growth, so I can rip stuff out if I want to, before it takes over.

Right now I have a macro or two I may want to remove. The more I look at it, the less I like the fern caulerpa, on the sand bed at least. It's fine on the back wall, though it's struggling against my army of snails for survival. I'm just not digging it between the grasses. I never planned for it to grow there, but I let it happen to see how it looks. I may pull it out this weekend, gumption permitting.

Old 11/15/2019, 08:00 PM   #1160
vlangel
Registered Member

The tank is looking fabulous! The mangroves really are cool and add a very pleasing dimension to the scape. Tbe grasses appear to have rebounded nicely.

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, ...and God sawthat it was good. Genesis 1:20 - 21

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon (AIO) high nutrient macro algae/coral reef, a 30 gallon seahorse macro algae reef w/ 20 gallon sump and a 2.5 old school dwarf seahorse tank
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2019, 10:43 PM   #1161
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Thanks Dawn!

I've had a blast tinkering with the scape, not unlike yourself! I must admit, I'm enjoying the mangroves much more than I expected. I know it's not that big a deal, but it just feels cool to grow trees in a marine aquarium!

The grasses are alright. I've got some good manatee grass plants, but they're not very tall right now. I'm not expecting much growth over the winter, but a little would be nice.

The general trend is to get more growth on the back wall, and to select which plants to remove. Filling in and weeding out…weeds…in my weed garden.

Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM   #1162
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

This weekend I decided to pull the fern caulerpa from the sand bed. I just didn't like the way it looked between the grasses. Plus I'm a little concerned it could having negative affects on them. On top of that I want to be able to see the individual grass plants better, from top to bottom. This way I'll be better able to keep abreast of their progress.

It was a tedious project! And I'm not done. Pulling them out stirred up a lot of dirt and stuff, so the water got too cloudy to see what I was doing. My plan is to let them bounce back a bit, so I can see what I missed, then go after them again to finish it up. In my experience, caulerpa is rarely ever 'finished', so I expect it to be somewhat of a regular maintenance item. We'll see how it goes. I don't plan to remove it from the back wall at this point. I don't mind it there, as part of range of plants that I hope will eventually cover it.

Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM   #1163
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Hey Michael. You have a great tank! Sorry if this has already been answered, but where do you get your seagrass?

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM   #1164
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Hey ThePurple12!

Florida Pets dot com, Aquarium Depot dot com, Gulf Specimen dot org all sell seagrasses. I also have a guy who collects in Florida, but his wife just gave birth, so he's not available for a while.

Good luck! Let me know if I can help more.

Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM   #1165
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Thanks!

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass