Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/31/2014, 07:05 PM   #1
Diamond Dave
Registered Member

Kole tang ich

Hello everyone. I'm running a 34 gallon QT tank with a cobalt heater, 350 bio wheel, and korallia wake maker. Tank has been cycled by ghost feeding for two months. Water is rodi from brs unit with IO crystals 32 ppt. Got a kole tang two weeks ago. Took him 6 days to start eating and he was nice and fat. Started prazi pro this morning. Removed carbon from biowheel and added an air stone, dosed 8ml into the filter to distribute. Upon returning home from work the tang has full blown ich and also some dark spots on his sides and fins. Any advice appreciated.

Diamond Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2014, 06:33 AM   #2
Diamond Dave
Registered Member

See a lot of looks but no replies. Tang is doing worse this morning, he's got a ripped tail to go with his ich. He's nodding side to side. Should I start cupramine with prazi running? Finish prazi's five days? Do water change run carbon to remove prazi? Is starting copper now going to kill him off? Help.

Unread 11/01/2014, 07:36 AM   #3
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

are there other fish in the tank with him?

i have never used any medications in qt, i use tank transfer instead. not sure how tt would work with an already stressed fish but it might be worth a try.

sorry for your troubles. kole tangs are gorgeous fish. i added one to my 75g several months ago after a round of tt and then 4 weeks of observation in qt.

good luck!

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Current Tank Info: i gave my reef away and i feel like a bird out of a cage!!
Nina51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2014, 08:23 AM   #4
Diamond Dave
Registered Member

Running carbon and poly filter. Made 30 gallons fresh water. Going to do some water changes today. Yeah he's been alone in the tank. He's laying down in his pvc breathing hard.

Unread 11/01/2014, 11:41 AM   #5
lagatbezan
Registered Member

Have you checked for ammonia? It will easily/fast go up in a qt. I would do a large water change first. You can use cupramine but the best method would be tt. If you gonna do cupramine go slow raising the levels and make sure you have a good test kit to test the concentration.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2014, 08:09 PM   #6
avandss
I'm hooked

did you have a chance to check ammonia?

also could you post pics, it would help to see what the dark spots are

avandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2014, 05:12 AM   #7
Diamond Dave
Registered Member

Thanks to those that helped,but the tang has died. I think it was ammonia poisoning. I didn't test because I don't have the test kit. I was thinking my qt would be fine because it was running for more than 2 months. The fish was fine until I started prazi pro. I think removing the filter cartridges to remove the carbon took too much bacteria and there wasn't enough left to detoxify.

Unread 11/02/2014, 07:35 AM   #8
lagatbezan
Registered Member

Sorry to hear it died. get yourself a ammonia badge. They are a only few bucks and easy to use warning you of rising ammonia levels so you can do a water change or use ammonia neutralizes.

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote