Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/01/2014, 07:02 AM   #1
ml708
Registered Member

anyone had a large angel complete a spawning rise

such as scribble, gold flake etc

by successful I mean with release of the gametes.

if so what is the height of your tank?

ml708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2014, 09:41 AM   #2
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Username Paka... Had a lot of success with this, you may have heard of her Karen Brittain. Her tank is deep, not sure how deep but looked to be 4ft or more.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2014, 11:27 AM   #3
paka
Registered Member

My deepest tank is 3 ft and that is the G. personatuss tank. I would love a deeper tank and I believe that deeper tanks are better for spawning but they are also very expensive and heavy as well as difficult to clean.
My other spawning tanks are 30 inches tall. The bandit angels and centropyge have spawned successfully at that tank height.
I have heard of larger fish such as blue tangs spawning at shorter tank heights so it is possible but if purchasing a tank for the purpose of spawning I would go 30 inches or higher.

paka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2014, 01:22 PM   #4
ml708
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paka View Post
My deepest tank is 3 ft and that is the G. personatuss tank. I would love a deeper tank and I believe that deeper tanks are better for spawning but they are also very expensive and heavy as well as difficult to clean.
My other spawning tanks are 30 inches tall. The bandit angels and centropyge have spawned successfully at that tank height.
I have heard of larger fish such as blue tangs spawning at shorter tank heights so it is possible but if purchasing a tank for the purpose of spawning I would go 30 inches or higher.
Very nice to see someone else who is into sustainable spawning of marine fish, and with great experience! Your personatus must be bringing in some coin for you haha.

I only have a year's experience in attempting to breed fish, and my deepest tank is also 3ft. I really hope that is sufficient for a spawning rise. Any deeper might place too much pressure on my flooring, not to mention a prohibitive running cost, though of course ideally I would want one 5ft or more.

I do have a bandit among my other angels. What do you recommend for feeding the larvae? I understand the larvae are extremely fragile, even by angel standards. Is this due to inadequate nutrition or an extended pre larvae stage?

Currently I have one bandit, but I'm planning to get another one in order to attempt breeding. Any idea on how long the female to male transition will take? Don't want to have them fighting and having to place one in a betta box for long.

Unread 11/02/2014, 12:42 AM   #5
paka
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml708 View Post
Very nice to see someone else who is into sustainable spawning of marine fish, and with great experience! Your personatus must be bringing in some coin for you haha.

I only have a year's experience in attempting to breed fish, and my deepest tank is also 3ft. I really hope that is sufficient for a spawning rise. Any deeper might place too much pressure on my flooring, not to mention a prohibitive running cost, though of course ideally I would want one 5ft or more.

I do have a bandit among my other angels. What do you recommend for feeding the larvae? I understand the larvae are extremely fragile, even by angel standards. Is this due to inadequate nutrition or an extended pre larvae stage?

Currently I have one bandit, but I'm planning to get another one in order to attempt breeding. Any idea on how long the female to male transition will take? Don't want to have them fighting and having to place one in a betta box for long.
I would recommend feeding the larvae wild caught plankton or cultured calanoid copepod nauplii. The nutritional value of the food is important and will help the larvae get through the larval phase. I have not successfully raised bandits yet so I'm not sure the length of their larval phase.

I'm not sure how long the female to male transition will take. I find it best to introduce a small fish to a bandit already at home in the aquarium. This takes a little longer to get mature fish that will spawn but it's easier on the fish in terms of the larger one accepting the smaller and having them pair up.

paka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2014, 01:10 AM   #6
ml708
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paka View Post
I would recommend feeding the larvae wild caught plankton or cultured calanoid copepod nauplii. The nutritional value of the food is important and will help the larvae get through the larval phase. I have not successfully raised bandits yet so I'm not sure the length of their larval phase.

I'm not sure how long the female to male transition will take. I find it best to introduce a small fish to a bandit already at home in the aquarium. This takes a little longer to get mature fish that will spawn but it's easier on the fish in terms of the larger one accepting the smaller and having them pair up.
Hmm, yeah, Frank of rct reared his on copepods iirc. If I am correct, he only managed to get two past the larval stage. Its a pity that he isn't trying again.

Do you happen to know why your larvae didn't make it?

Bandits are very pricey so I have to save up for my second one! I'm surprised that they are actually rather aggressive. Mine attacked and killed two orange spot filefish by nipping at their fins