Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/19/2013, 02:36 PM   #1
InvertCrazy
Registered Member

Minimum Tank Size For Mantis Shrimp

When i say minimum I mean the absolute minimum that it would be okay in Thanks

InvertCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Islandoftiki
Registered Member

I got away with a two gallon tank for a very small G. Viridis. Keep in mind, this was a pretty advanced level tank and ended up being a contest winner. I don't know that I'd recommend anything but the smallest mantis for a tank this small. Honestly, it would have been a lot less expensive to build a larger tank...

Anyhow, take a look at the tank build and you'll see the amount of expense it takes to make a tank this small really work. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/29713...ontest-winner/

For what it's worth, if I just wanted to keep a small mantis and keep things simple and uncomplicated, I'd do a Petco dollar-per-gallon sale 10 gallon tank, and AC70 modified into a filter/fuge and a low budget lighting setup and go with mushrooms and other low light corals. You could do most of the smaller mantis in a 10 gallon. It can be hard to find the really tiny ones for sale regularly.

There's my 2 cents.

Islandoftiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Kharn
MANTISMAN

There are so many minimal tank sizes that can be used for these creatures due to their vast size differences...

Small G.Viridis of only 55mm can live in tiny little nano cubes...larger 150mm+ smashers like O.scyllarus etc. are going to need at least 100L.

I based my tank volume off Dr.Caldwells recommendations on this invaluable site...http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthrop...raca/royslist/

Unread 07/19/2013, 08:00 PM   #4
hossa81
Registered Member

All depends on species, I have an N. Wennera in a three gallon tank.

Current Tank Info: 180 FOWLR, 29 BioCube
hossa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2013, 08:20 PM   #5
unreal45
Registered Member

I have a six gallon jbj nano, which mantis species would be best?

unreal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2013, 02:10 PM   #6
KusabiKuri
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreal45 View Post
I have a six gallon jbj nano, which mantis species would be best?
You can choose from a lot of good species. The bigger question is which are available to you and what your budget is. Just look through Dr. Roy's list and anything recommended for 20 liters or less would be fine for your nanocube.

KusabiKuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2013, 10:23 PM   #7
unreal45
Registered Member

I will take a look at that list, thanks.

unreal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2013, 01:21 PM   #8
peasofme
Registered Member

any tank smaller than 10g is hard to keep stable. and even then. i would replace water daily and use a drip. a 10g loses about half a cup of water a day. i had a tiny mantis in a 2.5g for several months till one day the parameters fluctuated and killed him. he was the most active mantis i've ever had.

peasofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharn View Post
There are so many minimal tank sizes that can be used for these creatures due to their vast size differences...

Small G.Viridis of only 55mm can live in tiny little nano cubes...larger 150mm+ smashers like O.scyllarus etc. are going to need at least 100L.

I based my tank volume off Dr.Caldwells recommendations on this invaluable site...http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthrop...raca/royslist/

Agreed, just divde the litres by 4 to find out the gallons of the tank. Do note that the shape of the tank play an important rule in tank size. I've kept a peacock in a 6 gallon... because the 6 gallon was as long as a 30!.. I still upgraded him to a 30 for the extra swimming space.

EDIT: OH YEAH and if you go with any type of smasher make sure its a plastic, or acrylic aquarium. The thickness of glass and size of mantis just tells you how many hits it needs, if they can break clams and rocks which are more sturdy than glass... then I wouldn't trust it.

Last edited by Calappidae; 08/31/2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Warning about glass
Calappidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2013, 10:38 PM   #10
Kharn
MANTISMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calappidae View Post
Agreed, just divde the litres by 4 to find out the gallons of the tank. Do note that the shape of the tank play an important rule in tank size. I've kept a peacock in a 6 gallon... because the 6 gallon was as long as a 30!.. I still upgraded him to a 30 for the extra swimming space.

EDIT: OH YEAH and if you go with any type of smasher make sure its a plastic, or acrylic aquarium. The thickness of glass and size of mantis just tells you how many hits it needs, if they can break clams and rocks which are more sturdy than glass... then I wouldn't trust it.
I wouldn't be to concerned on the glass end of things, all my tanks are glass and my only concern lay with my largest smasher who has struck the glass making a very loud noise.

Unread 08/31/2013, 10:51 PM   #11
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharn View Post
I wouldn't be to concerned on the glass end of things, all my tanks are glass and my only concern lay with my largest smasher who has struck the glass making a very loud noise.
I know its a rare occurence of glass breaking but hey, who wants to risk cleaning up after a leaking tank? Its worth the precaution in the long run better safe than sorry. My peacock did put a few small scratches in his acrylic but they are hardly noticeable.

Last edited by Calappidae; 08/31/2013 at 10:58 PM.
Calappidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2017, 08:26 AM   #12
Sarah_Katherine
Registered Member

I'm with you there.. I'm considering getting a Peacock sometime in the next year so I may need help from everyone.

Sarah_Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote