Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Marine Depot
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/22/2015, 11:13 AM   #301
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi Miller_Time,

Since the skimmer is breaking in, we wouldn't worry about it. It is not unusual for the skimmer to behave erratically during break-in. Make sure the outlet pipe is fully open and leave the collection cup drain open as well and allow the water collected to go back into your sump.

What type of dry-rock was used? If it is a natural liverock that is dried (such as Pukani, Fiji and others), there is likely a dried up organics that is currently breaking down and causing an increase in viscosity. Additionally, if you are using any water conditioner or bacterial supplement, it may also be the reason of the overflowing.

Just a couple of tips that may help explain what is happening.

MarineDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2015, 02:00 PM   #302
Miller_Time
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineDepot View Post
Hi Miller_Time,

Since the skimmer is breaking in, we wouldn't worry about it. It is not unusual for the skimmer to behave erratically during break-in. Make sure the outlet pipe is fully open and leave the collection cup drain open as well and allow the water collected to go back into your sump.

What type of dry-rock was used? If it is a natural liverock that is dried (such as Pukani, Fiji and others), there is likely a dried up organics that is currently breaking down and causing an increase in viscosity. Additionally, if you are using any water conditioner or bacterial supplement, it may also be the reason of the overflowing.

Just a couple of tips that may help explain what is happening.
I have the outlet pipe wide open and the drain has been open since day one, it'll fill the cup in about 15 secs.

I'm using Marco's Rock and sand, along with their mortar. I did use some prime because I couldn't get all of the tap water out of the sand from washing it. But I chose Prime because it claims it won't aggravate the skimmer.

Here a pic, its been pouring out like this since Tuesday and still going strong!

Miller_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2015, 03:34 PM   #303
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi Miller_time,

Thanks for the info. The motar will cause the skimmer to overfoam. A couple of large water changes and activated carbon should correct the issue.

Unread 01/23/2015, 06:41 PM   #304
davidfrances
Registered Member

Is the CO-3 enough skimmer for a well stocked 250 G FOWLR (with some noxious softies)?

I am currently running a Skimz 251 skimmer, and the impellers fail after about 6 months. I have gone through over eight impellers in the last two years.

davidfrances is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2015, 06:48 PM   #305
MarineDepot
Sponsor

NOW IN STOCK: AquaMaxx ConeS CO-2 and CO-3 Protein Skimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfrances View Post
Is the CO-3 enough skimmer for a well stocked 250 G FOWLR (with some noxious softies)?

I am currently running a Skimz 251 skimmer, and the impellers fail after about 6 months. I have gone through over eight impellers in the last two years.
Most definitely, the CO-3 will handle a 250 gallon aquarium without a problem.

Unread 01/26/2015, 07:41 AM   #306
Miller_Time
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineDepot View Post
Hi Miller_time,

Thanks for the info. The motar will cause the skimmer to overfoam. A couple of large water changes and activated carbon should correct the issue.
That was it!! Did a big water changed and now it's running great! Thanks for the help.

Miller_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2015, 11:10 AM   #307
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear that everything is working as it should

Unread 02/12/2015, 10:14 PM   #308
chrisryherd
Registered Member

skimmer recommendation

I have a 90 gallon display, 55 gallon fug, 75 gallon sump ( a little over half full ). not fully stocked yet but probably will be heavy, mixed reef but mostly LPS. looking at the con vs the Ecomax, sump is in a open room so space is not an issue. what would you recommend?

Current Tank Info: 28g nano-cube quad cf and 90g with 55g fug, 75g sump.
chrisryherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2015, 07:17 PM   #309
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi Chrisryherd, if space is not an issue, we would recommend the ConeS. The larger reaction chamber and the cone diffusers help to maximize performance. Additionally, as the pumps for the ConeS-Series are on the outside, they are also much easier to access and clean.

Unread 03/14/2015, 04:25 AM   #310
JS_racer
Registered Member

morning,
my co-2 pump and bracket are making noise, it seems to be the bracket needs a tic of tension to be silent. i asked here and this was the response
“I'm pretty sure there is supposed to be an hour glass looking piece of acrylic with a screw that is now included with the external coneS series. I believe that goes horizontal between the two vertical pump plates to minimize vibration.”

am i missing a piece or just how to attach the pump to the bracket.
any help would we great, thanks!!

Unread 03/16/2015, 03:42 PM   #311
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi JS_racer,

most of the vibration is absorbed by the rubber feet and the silicone tubing between the pump to the skimmer body. The hourglass piece is something new that AquaMaxx recently started including and does help to hold the pump in place. It does help to hold the pump more securely: however, it is more a stability piece than a noise-reducing piece.

If you purchase the skimmer from us recently, please call or email our customer service team and we should be able to hunt one down for you or special-order that piece for you.

Unread 04/06/2015, 12:20 PM   #312
m3lacoste
Registered Member

I just installed a ConeS C03. It's very quiet. I have it set at 10" depth and any adjustment to the outlet pipe won't seem to lower the bubble level- bubbles are breaking just at the top of collection cup. It's skimming very wet (light tea color). Let me know if the sump needs to be at a lower level or the skimmer needs time to break in.

m3lacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2015, 12:51 PM   #313
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Congrats on the new skimmer! During break in, it's not unusual for the skimmer to skim wet or even overfoam. Simply let the skimmer drain back into your sump for the first couple of weeks.

The more viscous (thick) your water, the more the skimmer will foam. If the skimmer is still skimming very wet after 2 weeks, we would recommending doing a water change and running activated carbon to help thin out the water. Let the skimmer run for another week or so.

If it continues to skim very wet after the water change and running activated carbon, it is an indication that your water is fairly thick. We would then recommend raising the skimmer to an 8" or 9" water level at that time.

Unread 04/08/2015, 07:08 AM   #314
m3lacoste
Registered Member

Thanks for the recommendation. The skimmer seems to be dialed in now after I lowered the level to 8.5" from 10". It skims less wet where the bubbles are breaking just at the base of the neck area.

m3lacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2015, 11:51 AM   #315
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Thumbs up Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3lacoste View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. The skimmer seems to be dialed in now after I lowered the level to 8.5" from 10". It skims less wet where the bubbles are breaking just at the base of the neck area.
Excellent! Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Unread 04/14/2015, 08:22 AM   #316
karsco
Registered Member

Hello, looking for a skimmer for 300g fully stocked reef tank. Can the CO3 handle it?

Thanks,
Scott

karsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2015, 10:04 AM   #317
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi Karsco,

It depends on the bioload. If is a moderately loaded mixed reef, then the CO-3 should work nicely. However, if you have a heavy fish bioload and/or you are looking to keep nutrients as low as possible for stony corals, then you would be better off with the larger Cone-5.

Unread 04/16/2015, 11:16 AM   #318
micielo719
Registered Member

Hello, I was wondering if you guys are having any sale on the cones-03? I could either hold out till June and purchase the JNS from Big Al's for $100 less or see if you could offer a discount. Please let me know as I would like to order this today. Some people are actually stating that I should go with the 03 and I just wanted to confirm. I have a 120g w/40b sump. I will be setting it up as an lps/sps tank some fish with medium and possibly could be heavy bioload. What are your recommendations.. Thank you for your time

micielo719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2015, 12:37 PM   #319
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi miceilo719,

Thanks for your inquiry. For a 120G, we would recommend the CO-2. Drastically over-sizing a skimmer sometimes can have negative effects as there may not be enough protein to produce enough foam for the larger neck size.

Please do note that JNS skimmers are international models and do not have warranties in the US. Additionally, you don't get the wonderful support (pre-purchase, post-purchase, technical, warranty) that you would get if you purchase from us. With your purchase, you also get free shipping and also our super-limited, special-edition Pistol Shrimp MarineDepot t-shirt

Unread 04/16/2015, 01:18 PM   #320
micielo719
Registered Member

Are you guys offering a discount anytime soon? Any way of signing up for new member discount via email??

Unread 04/16/2015, 01:24 PM   #321
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Thumbs up The Magic 8-Ball says: Outlook good

Quote:
Originally Posted by micielo719 View Post
Are you guys offering a discount anytime soon? Any way of signing up for new member discount via email??
You just missed out on a 10% off sitewide sale, but we put new products on sale each and every week! You do get a $5 off coupon emailed to you when you create a new account. It's sent as part of a welcome series so it wouldn't arrive for a few days, although I can PM it to you if you'd like to order today. I would also say the likelihood of it going on sale through some sort of broad sitewide, category or brand promotion within the next couple of months is pretty good.

Unread 04/16/2015, 03:42 PM   #322
micielo719
Registered Member

Sure if you would like to PM it to me that would be great. Thanks

Unread 08/23/2015, 08:30 AM   #323
Mollydog
Registered Member

I have a 90 gal display tank and a 40 gal sump
what skimmer would i need the aquamaxx co-1 or the aquamaxx co-2 ?

Mollydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2015, 10:12 AM   #324
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollydog View Post
I have a 90 gal display tank and a 40 gal sump
what skimmer would i need the aquamaxx co-1 or the aquamaxx co-2 ?
Hi Mollydog,

We tend to overstock our tanks so have a preference to use over-sized skimmers. For our own aquariums, we would go with the CO-2. However, if you are better disciplined when it comes to stocking, the CO-1 can definitely do the job.

Unread 08/24/2015, 06:38 PM   #325
Mollydog
Registered Member

so the aquamaxx co-1 would do the job if i dont over stock.
but the co-2 would do it and i would not have to think about it.

Mollydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquamaxx co-1, aquamaxx co-2, aquamaxx co-3, aquamaxx cones, marine depot