Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/16/2014, 09:46 AM   #26
MarineDepot
Sponsor

New Product! Current USA Orbit Marine LED Aquarium Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearmotions View Post
Would the 18-24" model be okay for a 20 gallon tall tank with a torch coral and bubble tip anemone? Thanks!
This should be perfect for LPS corals in a 20 gallon tank. Just be sure place the coral appropriately in the aquarium.

MarineDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2014, 11:06 AM   #27
KCFITZ78
Top Prospect

I have a 65 gallon Hexagon Marine Aquairum with sand bottom, live rock, fish, a haddoni anemone and plan to keep corals too. The longest length light I can keep under the canopy is 2 foot long and could place two fixtures side by side. My tank is 28 inches deep, 25 inches across (flat to flat) and 28 inches across (corner to corner) and with 14 7/16 inch wide sides. Would this be a light fixture for my setup? 1 or 2?

Unread 04/16/2014, 12:01 PM   #28
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCFITZ78 View Post
I have a 65 gallon Hexagon Marine Aquairum with sand bottom, live rock, fish, a haddoni anemone and plan to keep corals too. The longest length light I can keep under the canopy is 2 foot long and could place two fixtures side by side. My tank is 28 inches deep, 25 inches across (flat to flat) and 28 inches across (corner to corner) and with 14 7/16 inch wide sides. Would this be a light fixture for my setup? 1 or 2?

With the depth and shape of your aquarium, I think you would be much happier with a pendant style light such as the Kessil A350 or A360 fixture.

Unread 04/25/2014, 12:12 AM   #29
saltman123
Registered Member

Could this be retro fit into a hood?

Current Tank Info: 12 Gallon Aquapod
saltman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2014, 10:06 AM   #30
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltman123 View Post
Could this be retro fit into a hood?
Yes, the Orbit Marine is perfectly suitable for installation inside a hood. The fixture does not include any kind of retro-fit hardware or suspension kit as it is designed to mount directly on the aquarium. Therefore, you will need to come up with a way to attach the fixture to your canopy.

Unread 05/08/2014, 06:55 AM   #31
Midnightt
Registered Member

I'm debating about this light for a refugium. I can't seem to find out if it will retain the settings on the coloration if I used the APEX to control it. I haven't decided on if that is actually going to happen cause I'm still finalizing all the plans.

Midnightt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2014, 09:25 AM   #32
thebilljamin
Registered Member

Would the 24 -36 " be able to have full coverage of a 36 bow front? (30x15x21)

thebilljamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2014, 08:21 PM   #33
Tritons trident
Registered Member

they can be synced they make a splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineDepot View Post
We looked into this and haven't found any information anywhere that would indicate they can be synced and used together on a single timer (although we can certainly understand why that would be optimal).
I Have tried it and was able to run two units on one controller and Power supply using the splitter i eventually opted to run two controllers and just synced then though the time setting and on and off times.

you only have to set the time of day independently then the rest can be done to both at the same time if the two ramps are together, as both will work from one remote being IR.

I have two of these units on a 45 gal bow front and i am growing everything i would hardly refer to these as toys,
if you have to turn down the intensity so they dont burn your corals my whites run a 4% minimum intensity and a max of 35% and the blues at minimum 35% and a max of 100% i may need to boost these values over time

Tritons trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2014, 08:22 AM   #34
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Exclamation Good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritons trident View Post
I Have tried it and was able to run two units on one controller and Power supply using the splitter i eventually opted to run two controllers and just synced then though the time setting and on and off times.

you only have to set the time of day independently then the rest can be done to both at the same time if the two ramps are together, as both will work from one remote being IR.

I have two of these units on a 45 gal bow front and i am growing everything i would hardly refer to these as toys,
if you have to turn down the intensity so they dont burn your corals my whites run a 4% minimum intensity and a max of 35% and the blues at minimum 35% and a max of 100% i may need to boost these values over time
Thanks for chiming in, Tritons trident. We appreciate the clarification and detailed explanation!

Unread 10/06/2014, 05:51 PM   #35
xaflatoonx
Registered Member

I have a 90 gallon 4x2x1.5

Can i be okay with 1 48-60?
or do i really have to buy 2?

i play to focus more on fish - but will have 100lbs LR and a few corals.

xaflatoonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2014, 10:46 AM   #36
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi Xaflatoonx,

Thanks for your inquiry. One strip would be sufficient for liverock and fish.

For corals, you will need 2 strip or more; depending on what corals you plan to keep.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Unread 10/15/2014, 12:23 PM   #37
javdog2001
Registered Member

72 Gallon Bowfront

I am thinking of purchasing this light for my 72 gallon bowfront. I have stocked mostly soft corals. Would one 48-60 be sufficient for my needs? Thanks!

javdog2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2014, 01:04 PM   #38
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Hi Javdog2001,

Thanks for your inquiry. Most soft corals will be fine under this light. However, if you are looking to keep anything other than soft corals, you will need a stronger light or a second strip.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Unread 10/16/2014, 10:21 AM   #39
DamonG
Registered Member

I really don't have a question, but a feedback. I just purchased a second orbit and the light levels with both are great! I'm running it on a 50 long and I actually had to turn the unit down a bit after adding the second. Things that I have found are :

1. The two sensors for remote changes are very, very forgiving in their pickup pattern. I had to actually put the remote almost touching the face in order for the other (next to it) to not pick up the changes I was making. With that in mind, I think I've gotten about 10 get max and have no problem with inputs not being recognized.

2. You can and I do, control 2 units with one remote. You still will have 2 controllers /displays.. But you operate with one remote. Much like the Reefbreeders..

3.the light levels indeed are high with 2 fixtures! Even with them being lower wattage diodes, theres a ton of them.. I haven't metered it yet, but I think i'm going to have to at some point because these things are really, really bright now.. Lol, I could do the old "look at them and if they hurt my eyes test", but I am just going by the brightness increase to my eye on comparison to my old breeders and they are indeed bright!

4. I called current 3 times prior to ordering my 2nd unit and the only things I was advised I possibly may not grow quickly with the 2 fixtures was maxima clams. And honestly, after seeing the two fixtures together, as skeptical as I was, I believe them.

Just my little feedback on the fixtures together as I've dug and not seen anyone else running 2 of them..

DamonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2014, 10:27 AM   #40
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Thumbs up Current USA Orbit Marine LED Aquarium Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonG View Post
I really don't have a question, but a feedback. I just purchased a second orbit and the light levels with both are great! I'm running it on a 50 long and I actually had to turn the unit down a bit after adding the second. Things that I have found are :

1. The two sensors for remote changes are very, very forgiving in their pickup pattern. I had to actually put the remote almost touching the face in order for the other (next to it) to not pick up the changes I was making. With that in mind, I think I've gotten about 10 get max and have no problem with inputs not being recognized.

2. You can and I do, control 2 units with one remote. You still will have 2 controllers /displays.. But you operate with one remote. Much like the Reefbreeders..

3.the light levels indeed are high with 2 fixtures! Even with them being lower wattage diodes, theres a ton of them.. I haven't metered it yet, but I think i'm going to have to at some point because these things are really, really bright now.. Lol, I could do the old "look at them and if they hurt my eyes test", but I am just going by the brightness increase to my eye on comparison to my old breeders and they are indeed bright!

4. I called current 3 times prior to ordering my 2nd unit and the only things I was advised I possibly may not grow quickly with the 2 fixtures was maxima clams. And honestly, after seeing the two fixtures together, as skeptical as I was, I believe them.

Just my little feedback on the fixtures together as I've dug and not seen anyone else running 2 of them..
Awesome feedback! Thanks for sharing.

Unread 10/16/2014, 01:43 PM   #41
DamonG
Registered Member

Thanks.. I am just being honest..

Unread 10/21/2014, 03:31 PM   #42
DamonG
Registered Member

Now we will see what the orbit really can do. I picked up three little frags today:

1. Green stag
2. Blue tip acro
3. Unknown brown piece

And yes, I know the color is off because of the led. But im going to use these as a test. The two fixtures are at 40% white channel, 80% blue channel. Let's see how this goes. Don't let me down orbits!

uploadfromtaptalk1413926973882.jpg

Unread 10/21/2014, 03:45 PM   #43
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Thumbs up Current USA Orbit Marine LED Aquarium Light

Quote:
Don't let me down orbits!
Attachment 294911
We look forward to hearing updates in the weeks/months to come!

Unread 10/21/2014, 07:29 PM   #44
DamonG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineDepot View Post
We look forward to hearing updates in the weeks/months to come!
Definately will do..

Just hoping I didn't push things adding these corals right now. My plan was to wait a good 3 to 6 months. But I've already got corraline starting on the rocks and many plastic places(overflow and return spout).. As long as they don't run upon this initial intro to the system, I "think" they will be ok. I have all fingers and toes crossed..

But I will post either way. Just will get up in the am really early to check on them..

Unread 10/22/2014, 10:55 AM   #45
DamonG
Registered Member

Quick feedback: everything is still alive (no rtn) thank god! I will Quick them and provide further update..

Unread 10/22/2014, 03:57 PM   #46
DamonG
Registered Member

Ok, called current again and a couple of things. First, with the two fixtures I was advised to start at about 40% on the whites with the three sps frags and then tailor to my like with the blues and work up to maybe 70% with 2 fixtures. Also, they advised probably mid level to start with the particular types I have a to not sick them. They also advised(as I inquired) what percent they guessed it increased the brightness with a second fixture, that somewhere between 60 and 70 percent in actual par value. Which given the 120 degree optics(raw diode from what I remember) isn't bad. Now if there were 90 degree optics, I'm sure it would skyrocket like the breeders and others with 90's.

So from my math and the little graph, the 400 original(marginal) par, the increase would take it up to 640(60% as I'm taking lowest percentages). I really wish I had a meter to accurately give values, as I'm just going off the minimum values given.

Ok, those are my findings so far as I will continue to inquire. But im going to watch the frags closely while time passes and keep the updates as time goes on.

Unread 10/22/2014, 05:44 PM   #47
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Ok, called current again and a couple of things. First, with the two fixtures I was advised to start at about 40% on the whites with the three sps frags and then tailor to my like with the blues and work up to maybe 70% with 2 fixtures. Also, they advised probably mid level to start with the particular types I have a to not sick them. They also advised(as I inquired) what percent they guessed it increased the brightness with a second fixture, that somewhere between 60 and 70 percent in actual par value. Which given the 120 degree optics(raw diode from what I remember) isn't bad. Now if there were 90 degree optics, I'm sure it would skyrocket like the breeders and others with 90's.

So from my math and the little graph, the 400 original(marginal) par, the increase would take it up to 640(60% as I'm taking lowest percentages). I really wish I had a meter to accurately give values, as I'm just going off the minimum values given.

Ok, those are my findings so far as I will continue to inquire. But im going to watch the frags closely while time passes and keep the updates as time goes on.
Thank you again for following up! It's always helpful to hear what actual users are doing and, of course, what the manufacturer recommends.

Unread 10/25/2014, 05:31 AM   #48
DamonG
Registered Member

Bumped to 55% on each fixture. Color on blue is still good and body is turning a green. Green stag was lightening up. Unnamed seems like it's main body is turning a light purple color. It's very strange because I've never had things in a system react so quickly. I did a 5 gallon water change and looked at the rock. The corraline is also popping up all over and the patches are increasing quickly..

Not sure if the corraline is the lighting, but I know the color of the coral is..

Unread 11/09/2014, 11:10 PM   #49
.Chris.
Registered Member

I'm considering this fixture for a 40G Breeder, with the intention of keeping only soft coral and LPS. Do you think the 36" fixture would be adequate, or would I require a second?

.Chris. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2014, 11:20 AM   #50
MarineDepot
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Chris. View Post
I'm considering this fixture for a 40G Breeder, with the intention of keeping only soft coral and LPS. Do you think the 36" fixture would be adequate, or would I require a second?
On a 40g breeder I would most definitely recommend the 36-48" model to cover the entire tank. A single fixture would probably be just fine for soft corals and LPS placed appropriately in the center of the tank.

http://goo.gl/leBdsx

Having said that, you will have room to mount a second fixture which would really brighten up the tank and give you the flexibility to place corals throughout the entire aquarium.

Good luck with the new tank and let us know how it works out!

Last edited by MarineDepot; 11/10/2014 at 11:21 AM. Reason: text

Tags
current usa, led, lighting, orbit marine