Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/25/2021, 06:48 AM   #1
Looper121
Premium Member

Break Down Your Tanks - This Hobby Kills

Find some freshwater species which you can support and procreate ( African cichlids) - the end of reef keeping needs to happen sooner rather than later. Broke mine down 10 years ago, have been spreading g the word ever since s your $400 LED light isn’t going to make anything better for the coral.

Unread 02/25/2021, 06:46 PM   #2
Anemone
Cloning Around

Glad you're happy with the choice you made, but you're wrong. This hobby has resulted in most of the advancements in reef fish breeding and coral propagation, things that will become increasingly important as climate change continues to take an increasing toll on the world's wild reefs.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2021, 11:52 PM   #3
Raptor72
Registered Member

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL, Red Sea 170
Raptor72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2021, 05:57 AM   #4
Zionas
Registered Member

Really? You came back just to make this thread?

Zionas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2021, 07:19 AM   #5
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Glad you're happy with the choice you made, but you're wrong. This hobby has resulted in most of the advancements in reef fish breeding and coral propagation, things that will become increasingly important as climate change continues to take an increasing toll on the world's wild reefs.

Kevin
Look at the brain on this guy!!

He's right ya know.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2021, 08:03 AM   #6
Timfish
Registered Member

I'm supposed to kill animals I've kept and propagated for up to 27 years because you weren't able to keep things alive? I don't think so.

Unread 02/26/2021, 05:42 PM   #7
Misled
RC Mod

I supplied most of the Pittsburgh area reefers with RBTA'a a few years back. I think most of us are doing well keeping the hobby going.

Unread 02/27/2021, 05:31 PM   #8
Four drachma
Registered Member

Let’s come back to reality, his mom probably got tired of the higher electric bill and made him get rid of his algae infested tank...what a joke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Four drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2021, 06:20 AM   #9
lebowski
Notorious Reeferus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four drachma View Post
Let’s come back to reality, his mom probably got tired of the higher electric bill and made him get rid of his algae infested tank...what a joke!

Probably.

Unread 02/28/2021, 09:05 AM   #10
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post

Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionas View Post
Really? You came back just to make this thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
Look at the brain on this guy!!

He's right ya know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfish View Post
I'm supposed to kill animals I've kept and propagated for up to 27 years because you weren't able to keep things alive? I don't think so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four drachma View Post

^^^All of this^^^

I fully support your right to make the decision you did, and I'm sure that eventually I will decide to take my tanks down. It's been 32 years since my mom told me that although it was very pretty, my tank was just a phase and I'd certainly be tired of it in short order. I was 27 and had been on my own since I left for Basic/AIT in 1978. Mom's been gone since 2011 - RIP!!!, the tank(s) remain.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2021, 03:49 PM   #11
lebowski
Notorious Reeferus

Anything is gravy if you know what you are doing and have the resources to maintain it. I'm 32 and I'm about to get back into the hobby. Of course, I am preparing for a wife and family....

But it's things like a reef tank (which I have financed for decades to come) in that family setting which would tremendously help an individual as myself maintain that inner "hobby" balance and such... Plus... I'm not an idiot and won't shell out a grand to flush a Moorish down the toilet cause PetCo said it can be in a 29gal.

Perk up people. Freshwater is neat by the way, and I don't mean to attack Looper at all or seem negative.. and that's what I feel like following that thought train.

Unread 03/12/2021, 07:59 PM   #12
gipsyboy
Registered Member

I dont believe that if you are a reefer that put your heart in making your animals grow and thrive, that you could leave the hobby behind just like that. And it's not really true about those new 400$ leds.. If you use them properly they will make the change, but you need to give it time. In reefing that means months and years, because anything that goes fast in a reef is negative, and you can kill or make permanent damage in mere hours. Slow changes are mostly good, but need patience and passion. If you lost the passion you had, its propably due to something other in your life.

I did quit reefing because of divorce that broke my bones and pulverized my mind...
it took me 15 years to make the desicion to start a new tank. It was like starting at scratch with all the development and modernizing of everything, and the knowledge and understanding have grown so much during this year. At the same time that made things easier. Just look at the apps we control everything with now..
I hope your reason to brake down your tank will solve itself and you heal like I did, and that you come back. I really do, I want you to actually feel joy over keeping those beautiful creatures, and that it becomes a way for you to heal next time you start up.

gipsyboy is offline   Reply With Quote