Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/15/2020, 08:53 AM   #1
Chris918
Registered Member

Help me choose my lights

Hello friends.

I recently ordered a Waterbox Frag System. It was on sale due to them discontinuing it for a slightly taller model. I like shallow tanks anyway so it all worked out.

The tank is 24 x 24 x 12.

I'd like to use LED lighting on this aquarium and it will be an SPS dominant system. Now we get to lighting options and I'm struggling to find the best option. I have Kessil lights already. I hear back and forth about how they may not be powerful enough to grow SPS. That and people bring up the shading issue. I bring up Kessil because I have an A360WE and 2 A160 lights. I already own them so of course no money out of pocket is an attractive option. Is that enough light though and will it give good results with SPS growth and coloration? I would hope 3 fixtures would eliminate shadowing.

I've also looked at the Radion G5, Kessil AP700 and Kessil A360x but I'm open to other options. The reason I shy away from the 360x somewhat is because it doesn't seem to be more powerful than the Kessil A360WE and it just offers a wider spread and better cooling. It isn't any brighter and unless I buy the controller I don't get access to the red, green and UV channels. $100 extra per light and another $100 controller for basically a light I already own is iffy.

With all that being said, I'd love some feedback. This tank is shallow and not very big so hopefully I'm not out a ton of cash if the Kessils I have in storage won't get the job done. Please share your experiences and offer advice if you can.

Thanks very much

Chris918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2020, 05:34 PM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

IMO, hybrids of LED and T5 provide an excellent defused light for all corals.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2020, 02:22 PM   #3
Pokerman11
Registered Member

I would buy an Aquatic Life Hybrid t5 fixture. It is designed to mount your Kessils. The 360 for sure, not sure about the 160s but perhaps you can figure out a way. Then you have best of both world.

IF the Kessils don't work out then you can switch them to RAdion's or other Kessils while still using the t5s

Pokerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kessil, radion led, sps