Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/13/2019, 06:17 PM   #1
Reefers4U
Registered Member

MalFormed Tiny Starfish on New Clam

Found this guy crawling around the mantel of my new clam

Are these starfish a clam predator?

It is tan and white and not symmetrical as far as i can tell

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190113_161319.jpg (54.5 KB, 22 views)

Current Tank Info: 120 Visio // Radions // Eschopps Skimmer // MP40 x2 // Tunze ATO // BRS Dosing Pumps and Dual Reactor // Apex Gold //
Reefers4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2019, 08:34 PM   #2
Chuckd76
Registered Member

It's an asterina star.
It's asymmetrical because it's lost limbs to reproduce or something picked them off.
Some of them (the grey ones, I believe) are known to eat corals but I've never seen the ones in my tank eating any.
I'm not sure long term how they do with clams but if it makes you feel any better I had one crawling around on my derasa for a couple of days last week with no visible ill effects.

Unread 01/14/2019, 09:28 PM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

They're rather nice if you don't have anything they eat. Yes, they nosh coraline, but in most mature tanks that's a recommendation, not a problem.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 09:32 AM   #4
Reefers4U
Registered Member

Thanks guys - I thought so but just wanted to check given the malformed body.

Current Tank Info: 120 Visio // Radions // Eschopps Skimmer // MP40 x2 // Tunze ATO // BRS Dosing Pumps and Dual Reactor // Apex Gold //
Reefers4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2019, 07:49 PM   #5
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

I have had tanks for 16 years and have had hundreds of them over the years. So far I haven’t had a coral get eaten by any. There is apparently a species that will, but I have never seen it. As for coraline, my three urchins pretty much take care of that so I can’t really say how many it would take before they could decimate the coraline population in a healthy reef.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote