Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/22/2019, 06:43 PM   #276
748S911
Registered Member

Awesome pics, everyone is looking good and healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

748S911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2019, 01:04 PM   #277
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Nice pictures.
Please add name to the corals and fishes if you can.
I would love to know the names of your corals.
OrionN - I will try to post the names of the corals. Problem is many of them had color shifts or were dying off at some point so when I fragged them I forgot what they were. Fish I can do for sure...lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Nice Henry, corals are really starting to take off.
Love the hammer/wrasse shot.
. Matt - Some are really starting to take off. The milli at the top is one of the fastest growers. My problem is I keep having color shifts so I don't know what is what...lol. It's back to the ole school coral identification for me. Pretty blue tipped coral....lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 748S911 View Post
Awesome pics, everyone is looking good and healthy.

Jesse - hope the frags are coming along in your tank. I am starting to see some growth from the ones you gave me last time you stopped by.

Its been a while since my last update but things are plugging along nicely. I am a little behind on updating as I was getting ready for vacation. I am finally back from Mexico and before I left I picked up a few new items. My top on my frag tank stopped working like a week before my trip and panic ensued. I have frequent power outages in my area so I brought a Ecotech Battery Backup before my vacation for some circulation. This thing is much bigger than I expected and its heavy. It seemed to have done its job while I was in Mexico as well. I was fighting some phosphate issues so I picked up the NoPox as well. I will start using in a few days once things get settled from vacation. I had both tanks on an auto timer for twice a day and the phosphates did not rise much more than they were before I left so I am pretty happy about that. My next update with be with the t5s I am adding for the center of the tank were the LEDs are not really reaching since they are not that high off the tank.

IMG_6887 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 08/11/2019, 08:59 AM   #278
748S911
Registered Member

I had a dino bloom and struggling at the moment. The green slimer is gone, one of the acros on a plug is done now too, smh!

It was the 40 lbs of carib life rock I added. It said no cure time, but I dont know if that meant no cycle time? In any event im struggling to keep my animals alive....such a rookie move smh!!!!

Unread 08/11/2019, 07:50 PM   #279
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
I had a dino bloom and struggling at the moment. The green slimer is gone, one of the acros on a plug is done now too, smh!

It was the 40 lbs of carib life rock I added. It said no cure time, but I dont know if that meant no cycle time? In any event im struggling to keep my animals alive....such a rookie move smh!!!!
Jesse,
Sorry to hear about the issues man hopefully the tank will pull through. Don't throw them away. I have had ones that looked pretty bad and from only a few polyps come back. Move them to a non direct flow area and hopefully a few polyps will survive. Slow and steady wins the race...lol.

Unread 08/11/2019, 08:08 PM   #280
nightOwl
Premium Member

Picked up some new frags in the last few weeks and waiting for them to settle in and color up a bit.

1. Acropora SPS
Acropora SPS by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

2. Acropora Millepora
Acropora Millepora by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

3. Blue Tort Acropora
Blue Tort Acropora by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

4. BC Rainbow in Spain Acopora
BC Rainbow in Spain Acopora by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

5. Acopora SPS
Acopora SPS by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

6. ASD Rainbow Millepora Acropora
ASD Rainbow Millepora Acropora by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

7. Walt Disney Acropora
Walt Disney Acropora by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

8. Acropora Millepora
Acropora Millepora by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

9. Blue Tenius Acropora
Blue Tenius Acropora by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

10. RC Poison Ivy Acopora
RC Poison Ivy Acopora by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 08/11/2019, 08:29 PM   #281
nightOwl
Premium Member

1. BC Blueberry Fields Acropora
BC Blueberry Fields Acropora by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

2. WWC Yellow Tips Austera Acropora
WWC Yellow Tips Austera Acropora by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

3. Acopora SPS
Acopora SPS by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

I also added a new fish to to QT on 08/02/2019...another addition to the wrasse collection. The wife has named him Orion. He came in around 2.5 inches but has been eating very well. He is eating everything I have put in the tank so that is a good sign.

Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis)
Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis) by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

My Flame Wrasse is really starting to color up and I was finally able to get a decent picture of him. It won't be long before I can get a better picture of him. He has started to to be very bold.

Flame Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus jordani) by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 08/14/2019, 07:56 AM   #282
748S911
Registered Member

Wow! You’ve got some amazing acros...

I hope some pull through, fingers crossed.

Unread 08/16/2019, 07:15 AM   #283
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Wow! You’ve got some amazing acros...

I hope some pull through, fingers crossed.
Jesse,
Thanks man. I think I am running out of places to put corals now...lol. I need more fish now. Hopefully your corals will bounce back. I have been in the same place as you. Make sure if you have not done so already you dose some amino acids.

Unread 10/25/2019, 10:37 AM   #284
eonflux123
Registered Member

WOW Nightowl! From the beginning of your set up I have been in awe of you pushing through and completing your dream tank! I am so happy you got through the hard patches and now having real success with it all. HOWs everything going? Have you thought about getting any more BIG fish? The tank looks quite empty with those little tikes everywhere! Keep it up man!

eonflux123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2019, 04:39 PM   #285
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux123 View Post
WOW Nightowl! From the beginning of your set up I have been in awe of you pushing through and completing your dream tank! I am so happy you got through the hard patches and now having real success with it all. HOWs everything going? Have you thought about getting any more BIG fish? The tank looks quite empty with those little tikes everywhere! Keep it up man!
eonflux123 - Thanks for the kind words. Everything is fine with the tank...fall time of the year I sorta neglect the tank when football season starts. I am behind on things like water changes but things are plugging along. Phosphates are currently up but they are not killing anything yet...lol. Corals are growing pretty good and I have added one new fish since my last update I think. I added a Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus isosceles) and that thing is a beauty. I am not sure what other big fish I will add. Once the corals really start to grow in they will will be limited on space. I have a few more wrasses to add, a few anthias, some cardinals, maybe a butterfly or reef safe angel fish but I am not sure of what other big fish I may add. When you say big fish what type of fish are you talking about? The three tangs in there now are lazy...lol. I hardly see them grazing or looking for algae. I am past due for an update so maybe in a week or so I will dig through some pictures and upload a few.

Unread 12/31/2019, 02:30 AM   #286
chris.viner87
Registered Member

Subscribed

chris.viner87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2020, 09:17 PM   #287
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.viner87 View Post
Subscribed

chris.viner87 - Thanks for joining.

Unread 01/02/2020, 10:00 PM   #288
nightOwl
Premium Member

Things are coming along nicely...attached are a few growth shots:

IMG_8573 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_8575 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_8584 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_8591 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_8644 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_8646 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_8653 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_8663 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_8669 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 01/02/2020, 10:42 PM   #289
nightOwl
Premium Member

A few fish shots:

1. Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus isosceles)
IMG_8722 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

2. Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis)
DSC00501 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

3. Yellow Tang, Hawaii (Zebrasoma flavescens)
DSC00404 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

4. Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus isosceles)
DSC00376 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

5. Yellow Tang, Hawaii (Zebrasoma flavescens), Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum), and Squaretail Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus truncatus)
DSC00314 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

6. Flame Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus jordani)
DSC00264 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

7. Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis)
IMG_8734 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

8. Flame Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus jordani) and Yellow Tang, Hawaii (Zebrasoma flavescens)
DSC00202 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

9. Hooded Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus)
IMG_8730 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

10. FTS 12-31-2019
IMG_8746 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 01/17/2020, 04:32 PM   #290
nightOwl
Premium Member

I'm starting the year off with a rough start for the basement and frag tank. So far one minor flood (1-9-2020) and one failed return pump (1-12-2020) on the frag tank. The floor overflowed from the fish room leaked under the laminate floors and into the area past the french doors. The issue was my skimmer overran for some reason dumping about 15 gallons of water from the sump and keep running which caused the top off to dump 20 more gallons into the floor into the sump. This weekend I will do some much needed adjustments. I also going to change the plumbing on the main display from a failed Oceans Motions pump. It began making a grinding sound a few months back. Customer support did not respond so I am swapping it out for two 1" SCWD's. I will see how long they last and then figure out a real solution.

Unread 01/17/2020, 05:58 PM   #291
748S911
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that bro, did it affect any corals? I Had the dc800 foam out once too and it was a mess. Foam everywhere but I dont remember if any water leaked out of sump.

Unread 01/17/2020, 09:05 PM   #292
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear that bro, did it affect any corals? I Had the dc800 foam out once too and it was a mess. Foam everywhere but I dont remember if any water leaked out of sump.
Jesse,
It did not impact any corals but the frag tank which is a mess. The corals in there just kinda grow in bad conditions but still grow. I am gonna revamp it in the next month or two.

Unread 01/17/2020, 09:31 PM   #293
748S911
Registered Member

Thats good to hear.. make sure you set aside a frag corner for my next build, hopefully i set it up this summer. I gotta all this Ecotech crap and hear möbius system is out and amazing. Can’t wait to get back in the game.

Unread 01/18/2020, 07:49 AM   #294
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Thats good to hear.. make sure you set aside a frag corner for my next build, hopefully i set it up this summer. I gotta all this Ecotech crap and hear möbius system is out and amazing. Can’t wait to get back in the game.
Jesse,
I got you! It will be your "tankwarming" gift...lol.

Unread 01/18/2020, 01:54 PM   #295
Andy.T
Registered Member

I've just joined the forum and sat and read the thread from start to finish. I admire your patience and attention to detail. When this tank grows out its going to be awesome.

Andy.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2020, 03:11 PM   #296
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy.T View Post
I've just joined the forum and sat and read the thread from start to finish. I admire your patience and attention to detail. When this tank grows out its going to be awesome.
Andy.T - Thanks for the kind words. I will be adding some new picture updates in a few days along with some new equipment I picked up. Stay tuned!

Unread 02/03/2020, 08:49 PM   #297
nightOwl
Premium Member

Long overdue for an update.
General Updates
Dec 2019
I finally replaced the pump on my saltwater mixing station back in December. It was hard to find a good affordable DC external pump. After reading some reviews I settled on the Hydor pump and it was been working great externally. So far no leaks.

I switched over to Me Coral Alkalinity and Calcium products on the main tank. So far so good with them. I brought the dry products in bulk so I should be good for a while.

The main display because of the pump placement has all the corals growing towards the end of the tank. To combat this I brought a gyre XF350 and installed it in the main display on the overflow side. I have not really configured it yet but the flow is pretty good so far on the basic pattern I have set up. I need to lay around with it a bit more to tweek the flow the patterns.
IMG_8717 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_8712 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 02/04/2020, 08:13 PM   #298
nightOwl
Premium Member

General Updates Continued...
Jan 2020

I have started to revamp my frag tank and get it back on the right track now that corals in the main tank a growing at a good rate. So far on the frag tank I have completed the following.
  1. Replaced Oceans Motions with SCWD Wavemaker
  2. Added an Apex Breakout Box
  3. Replaced the return pump
  4. Changed the ATO to Tunze Osmolator Nano

The OM was a little overkill on the frag tank and made accessing the front of the tank difficult at times with the plumbing. I revamped the plumbing and replaced the OM with a 1" SCWD. Instead of four outputs there are two. So far it seems to be doing well. I brought 3 the first go around and plan to put the other two on the main display. I will probably run into the same issue with support as I did with OM. Initially I was in contact with Paul over at 3iQ Ventures LLC and communication was great. Things kinda slowed down with his responses and I have not heard from him since Dec 16th. Oh well we will see how well these last.

I added the breakout box after I flooded the basement a weeeee bit. Something sent my skimmer on the fritz and caused it to overfill the skimmate container. In turn the the ATO kept pumping water. In all about 30 gallons or so were pumped into the floor. That flooded the fish room and ruined the floor in bar area and then made it the carpet area all the way to the sectional. So wifey strongly suggested I get my act together! I had to redo the floor all the way to the third row from the right due to user error. When the floor flooded I decided to take my blower and point it under the floating floor. At the time it seemed like a great idea but after the air caused the whole floor to lift it snapped loose where my bench was. The only way to fix was to take up the whole floor to that point .

My Simplicity return pump failed the day after the flooding of the floor. The pump itself did not fail but the controller head did. Simplicity customer support is top notch and I worked closely with them to order a new power supply. I had been meaning change the pump from a 2100 to a 1600 for a while so I guess it was a blessing in disguise. With the new 1600 I don't have to throttle the pump back as much.

I finally changed out the ATO to a Tunze Nano ATO. The micro ATO was a little annoying with the beeps and for some reason it would not work consistently. It was probably user error but I don’t think it like being turned on and off. I probably needed to put it on socket 4 or 8 but I just replaced the ATO.

With the above items I am making progress to get the frag tank back on track. I still need to make a cover which I hope to complete in the next week or so.

DSC00526 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

DSC00530 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

DSC02363 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

In Progress ...if you look you about 4 boards in from the left you can see the seam toward the fridge
DSC00535 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

All Finished
DSC00538 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

I ordered some new fish and gave a new place NY Aquatics a chance since Live Aquaria lost their minds with a silly box charge and changes to how credits were applied. Ever since they were brought out they have been going down hill.

The fish arrived in in great shape and packing was done well. I ordered three fish and a couple of inverts. The inverts did not make it but I followed the DOA procedure and I choose to have my money refunded. No issues on refunding my money! Fish were healthy and great size. I will probably give them another try after these ones come out QT.
  1. Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis)
  2. Sailfin/Algae Blenny (Salarias fasciatus)
  3. Spotted Mandarin (Synchiropus picturatus)

Spotted Mandarin (Synchiropus picturatus)
Sailfin/Algae Blenny (Salarias fasciatus) by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis)
Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis) by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Spotted Mandarin (Synchiropus picturatus)
Spotted Mandarin (Synchiropus picturatus) by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 02/19/2020, 09:09 PM   #299
nightOwl
Premium Member

General Updates

02/09/2020 - I was near the Richmond area and found a cool little shop called Tiki Corals. If you are down near that area check them out. I picked up two Peppermint Shrimps, an Emerald Crab, and two Cleaner Shrimp. Very clean and neat little island vibe in the store. Live stock in the tanks looked healthy and the owners were nice.

02/19/2020- I moved the orange back from QT into the main display today. He is in the acclimation box and will remain in there for a week or so to see if the other wrasses bother him or not.
A few new pics of the corals

01. IMG_8749 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

02.IMG_8765 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

03.IMG_8774 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

04.IMG_8788 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

05.IMG_8804 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

06.IMG_8808 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

07.IMG_8815 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

08.IMG_8822 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

09.IMG_8824 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

10.IMG_8827 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Unread 02/19/2020, 09:13 PM   #300