Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/26/2016, 03:40 PM   #1
Fitz19d
Registered Member

What about cherry shrimp/ghost shrimp?

Was reading into some options for feeding them especially when young. Had a hard time imagining them even eating iso/amphipods or at least getting any big enough.

Was wondering if small FW cherry/ghost shrimp would work well at all? Thought they dont suffer the lack of certain nutrients like feeding fw fish did. Even if not for baby cuttles but maybe for the kinda inbetween baby food and trying to get them on frozen.

Trying to figure out what I can raise without too much pain at home. (300 DD I'd like to maybe have a go at cuttles and if it fails just go conventional.)

Fitz19d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2016, 11:46 AM   #2
Opcn
Registered Member

There are marine feeder shrimp that are analogous to freshwater ghost shrimp. They wont start dying the moment you add them to the tank and their nutrition profile is more likely to be in line with the native diet of your ceph.

Opcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2016, 10:56 AM   #3
Fitz19d
Registered Member

Are those realistically able to be raised though on an ongoing basis. Idea is something I can culture to feed a continual crop of upcoming cuttles.

Unread 03/21/2016, 09:33 PM   #4
Betta132
Registered Member

There are a good few species of shrimp sold as ghost, glass, or grass shrimp. You should absolutely be able to find a small, transparent, saltwater shrimp that can be easily bred.

Unread 03/22/2016, 01:54 PM   #5
Fitz19d
Registered Member

Its in my other thread, but I solved my problem in that I found a local place that cultures live mysis for science applications. Going to do them, followed by the captive bred bigger shrimps. (Or possibly just pick them up from stores) until I get them on frozen.

Right now my big thing is figuring out how much will the cuttles eat roughly. My order is a minimum of 500 at a time, so figuring out for a handful of cuttles is that like week, month, way way way too much etc.

Unread 03/22/2016, 03:45 PM   #6
Protoavis
Registered Member

On the topic of ghost shrimp....it's a vague term given everywhere in the world will have "ghost shrimp" which are generally all different species based on location. Just as an example, east coast vs west coast of Australia have shrimp that are both called "ghost shrimp" they aren't even in the same genus. Which are both very different again from what those in America would call ghost shrimp (which I would guess are potentially several different species).

Protoavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2016, 07:43 AM   #7
Theokie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz19d View Post
Its in my other thread, but I solved my problem in that I found a local place that cultures live mysis for science applications. Going to do them, followed by the captive bred bigger shrimps. (Or possibly just pick them up from stores) until I get them on frozen.

Right now my big thing is figuring out how much will the cuttles eat roughly. My order is a minimum of 500 at a time, so figuring out for a handful of cuttles is that like week, month, way way way too much etc.
Consider 500 Mysid shrimp per week for a small group, as they will eat 4-5 twice a day each, depending on their size. My first group of cuttles is 1.5 months old and are taking live cherry shrimp as a treat every couple days as well.

Cuttles are eating machines, probably if I had enough Mysids mine would eat 4 times a day

Theokie is offline   Reply With Quote