Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/17/2017, 07:38 PM   #1
Chris918
Registered Member

Question Coral Growth and Reef Chemistry

Hello everyone,

I wanted to discuss coral growth and the impact my chemistry has on it in my IM 30L. The tank is a mixed reef system and is fairly new. I'd say 3 or 4 months at this point. Current corals:

SPS:
Pink Seriatopora (3-4 weeks)
Green Seriatopora (2-3 months)

LPS:
Green Duncan (3-4 weeks)
Hammer Coral (3-4 weeks)

Calcium reading is high at 480 ppm.
Alkalinity is at 9 or slightly above 9.
Mg is around 1400.

Phosphate comes back at 0 ppm. Nitrate just slightly above 0 ppm, but I have some slight algae growth.

2 Kessil A180 about 8 hours of light per day.
Flow at 1428 gal/hr

My biggest issue is growth. I can't seem to find a successful formula for getting these corals to grow. I hear consistency is key and I've tried to maintain stable parameters. My green birdsnest has turned brown and hasn't grown much in the 2 months I've had it. One of the heads on the hammer doesn't ever want to open. I haven't noticed any growth on the pink birdsnest and the Duncan has grown slightly. Flow is provided by the return pump into two separate flow nozzles and two Tunze Nanostreams to provide flow. Could it be they are not receiving enough light? Lights are on a lower setting to reduce possible algae issues since even though Phosphate and Nitrate read almost 0 there must be some since I have a tiny bit of algae growth. I feed once every other day and add Red Sea Coral Nutrition the day I do not feed. Does anyone have any advice or see any problems as to why I am not getting much growth?

Currently considering an MP10 to replace the Tunze pumps for more random flow.

Please share your experience. I look forward to hearing any and all opinions and I'm happy to provide more info if requested.

Chris918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2017, 07:43 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

The color change in the coral could be due to lower lighting, which also might inhibit growth. I don't know anything about the power range of that fixture, though. You might need to ask in the SPS forum about that.

The parameters are fine as is. I agree that the calcium is a tad high, but that level is fine for growth. The algal growth might indicate that there's some nutrient flow into the water, which could impact the corals directly or indirectly.

I'd probably check the lighting level with someone who has some familiarity with that system, and work from there.

Unread 11/18/2017, 12:48 PM   #3
Daddi0
Registered Member

When I add a coral to my reef, it seems to take a bit of time before it settles in and colors up. For me corals are a test of patience and I know in my tank it takes a while for a coral to show any growth. Stability is a key and at approx. a month I think your corals are just settling into your parameters which may be completely different than the tank they came from. Also, your tank in still very "young". On our reefs, my first goal is to keep a coral happy and not let it die. If I can do that then growth is almost guaranteed. Remember the saying that nothing good happens fast in this hobby.
Cheers! Mark

Daddi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 01:12 PM   #4
Chris918
Registered Member

Thank you both for your words of encouragement and advice.

Cheers!

Chris918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2017, 07:22 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

You're welcome. Good luck!

Unread 11/19/2017, 02:02 PM   #6
josephxsxn
Registered Member

My Green Duncan's grow like crazy when feed in a consistent manor, they eat almost any pellets I give them. I have found most of the LPS corals in my tank do better if I have found a food they like to eat and feed then once/twice a week. Make sure to stick around after they consume whatever you're trying (LPS Pellets, Mysis, Fish Pellets, etc...) as they may initially consume it but vomit it back up after a while. For what its worth almost all of my Euphyllia (FrogSpawn, Torch, & Hammer) do not like any foods I have ever feed them.

josephxsxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 06:25 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Corals do not grow that fast..
Its only been a few weeks..
Patience..

Sometimes taking pictures and comparing them is the only way to notice growth over months..

Nothing good happens fast in this hobby..

Unread 11/22/2017, 02:15 PM   #8
smatter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephxsxn View Post
My Green Duncan's grow like crazy when feed in a consistent manor, they eat almost any pellets I give them. I have found most of the LPS corals in my tank do better if I have found a food they like to eat and feed then once/twice a week. Make sure to stick around after they consume whatever you're trying (LPS Pellets, Mysis, Fish Pellets, etc...) as they may initially consume it but vomit it back up after a while. For what its worth almost all of my Euphyllia (FrogSpawn, Torch, & Hammer) do not like any foods I have ever feed them.
Glad to hear that your Euphyllia don't eat either. I have several and the only thing they might take a little of is Goniopower. I don't even bother anymore really and they are happier than ever.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2017, 09:36 AM   #9
lingwendil
Man who sold the world

Location: Oakley, behind enemy lines in communist occupied California.
What's your PH? Low or unstable PH is a sure fire way to slow growth.

Unread 11/23/2017, 03:59 PM   #10
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris918 View Post
Does anyone have any advice or see any problems as to why I am not getting much growth?

Mixed species require different needs. My LPS takes off and grows like weeds with lightly dirty water. Strong SPS that's easy to care for I can grow for a year or two.

Your problem is just a new tank if I had to guess, be patient.

It very well could be your lighting, we have no ideas what it is or how long its on.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2017, 09:31 PM   #11
Squidmotron
Registered Member

I wouldn't worry about it much. They seem like they're not growing at all, and then all of a sudden they are huge and encrusted and thriving.

It just seems like it takes awhile at first.

Current Tank Info: 210 Gallon "Mixed Reef" Tank (84 inches wide)
Squidmotron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral growth, reef chemistry