Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/01/2013, 10:58 AM   #1
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

My 150G piece of heaven

OK, so big updates for the start of a new year!!

- Plumbing leak was fixed (just needed to tighten something teenie bit more), so everything is dry, dry and dry!

- Skimmer has stopped overflowing several days ago, and has helped get the southdown particulate out of the water column. The water is actually very clear now, and when I start running carbon\gfo, it will all be even better. I'm gradually turning up my MP40s to get as much of that silt off my rocks as possible. This skimmer is AWESOME. It is producing a thick nasty gunk with it running at 2\3 (setting). It's HUGE, and one of the greatest features versus the small one I have upstairs, is the fact I can bring over a 5G bucket, take the hose that is connected to the bottom of the cup, open the cap, and drain it. So much nicer. I realize I need to keep the neck clean, but when someone is watching my tank while I'm gone, it's so much easier. Highly recommend this skimmer for the price. It will do heavy bio-load to upwards of around ~300G.

- I picked up 10 bluelegged crabs, and 10 astrea turbo snails to get things moving a little bit in there. I have been testing my parameters, and everything is zero except for Ammonia which has been .25ppm since last Saturday. I'm wondering if my API test kit is even good anymore, I bought it almost two years ago when I setup the cube upstairs. Either way, I'm not moving anything until that goes to 0. I don't want to risk even the cheapest of fish as it is unnecessary.

- Radions..... I can't say this enough, this things are absolutely awesome. I'm so glad I invested in these and not the China LED fixtures. I have it set to the Sipadan Reef on natural mode, and the gradual blue on ramp up\down is absolutely beautiful. I of course have nothing in the tank yet, but I love the color, it's so subtle and calming versus my on\off blues upstairs. I was doing a water test yesterday at about 6PM when all of a sudden the clouds rolled in, and we had a 25 minute thunderstorm. Real cool. Honesty, it probably does nothing for live stock, but the humans get a kick out of it!!

- I am getting the mesh ordered with Goat today, and need to get that done as I have a feeling my wrasse is going to get the crap scared out of him when the first thunderstorm hits. That is, if I can get him out of the cube's overflow. I hope to have parameters stable, and moving my livestock to the big ocean this weekend! I would think this ammonia should go down by then. Anything I can do to help accelerate, or just wait?

Finally.... pictures. The tank has been ramping up for about 1.5hrs, so these are the nice tranquil lagoon blues. I'll post pictures throughout the day. Dre has volunteered to bring over a PAR meter this week and get some readings, so maybe I will get him to take some nice pictures as well.

Personally, I feel this tank has come a long way.. It has been a lot of work, a lot of money, but boy is it awesome. I can't wait to see it stable, stocked, and topped off with a beautiful Gigantea.

Thanks for tagging along everyone, enjoy.

FTS from my office. Son's play area on the right side. I need to get the cables mounted for the MP40s, but don't know where I will keep them yet, haven't seen how the flow is enough yet... but that's on the list.

Dark FTS...

Notice the tiny bit of shadowing... Doesn't bother me, but nothing really I can do about it. Ecotech's solution was to buy another Radion (four!!!!). Yea, let me just go spend another $600. heh.

Here are the Radions... We came up with a little bit of an ingenious way of hanging these, and not having to buy their stupid kits since they are in a hood. We used extra 1" PVC, zip tied through the top of the canopy in three spots to keep it nice and steady. Then used picture wire wrapped around to hold up the lights. Good thing, these babies are pretty light, so there is zero strain on that picture wire. Another good thing is, I can just slide the individual fixtures around without having to redrill, or do ANYTHING! They lights are about 7-8" above the water which is where I probably want them. So far so good!

Plumbing. Big props to Dre for spending a couple of days helping me get this going. Seriously, thank you. The Radion ballasts are zip tied to an old sheld rack thing, which sits on top of my ATO tank. I haven't set that up yet either, but really need to ASAP. I have all of the parts I need to get it working. Return is the back pipe, drain is the closest. Voretechs, ReefKeeper stuff mounted and screwed to the stand itself. Zip ties keeping cables manageable. I am proud of it all!

Here is the Bubble Magus Curve 9 in action. This baby is AWESOME!!!!!! We also did two ball valves which will be used once I get my reactors. I plan on running Carbon, GFO and Calcium. What reactors does everyone recommend? I need to get those ordered ASAP.

Unread 01/01/2013, 11:00 AM   #2
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

More plumbing shots and under the stand...

Fuge area... I need to get some more rock from my tank upstairs, or just a nice rock from someone locally that is real rich in biodiversity. Any takers want to hook a brotha up? I have some real nice marco rocks I can trade... I didn't end up using them all.

Another FTS... The lights are ramping up as I take pictures. I LOVE these Radions.

Left structures.... Lots of holes, crevices, and little arches for fishies to swim through

Right side

Unread 01/01/2013, 11:17 AM   #3
dviper150
Registered Member

Great looking setup and very clean!

Unread 01/01/2013, 11:25 AM   #4
gig
Registered Member.

nice work!

you might want to use the cable holders for your MP40's, if they happen to fail and the dry end falls that far to the floor, it would likley damage it.

Current Tank Info: Current Tank Info: 180G RR in wall mixed reef moving toward SPS dominated (247 gal total system), 300lbs+ LR, VHO/T5 mix of lighting, X3 MP40w ES.
gig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2013, 11:31 AM   #5
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gig View Post
nice work!

you might want to use the cable holders for your MP40's, if they happen to fail and the dry end falls that far to the floor, it would likley damage it.
Yea, I know and I will, just need to make sure I get them positioned in the right spot before I commit to cable holders.... So it's very temporary, but appreciate the input.

Unread 01/01/2013, 11:41 AM   #6
Breadman03
New Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtlosx View Post
Yea, I know and I will, just need to make sure I get them positioned in the right spot before I commit to cable holders.... So it's very temporary, but appreciate the input.
Temp fix- use a couple of those Command strips. http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M...+5924736&rt=r3

When done, just pull the tab on the adhesive strip and it comes right off.

Your tank is going to look fantastic once you start getting some livestock in there!

Last edited by Breadman03; 01/01/2013 at 12:24 PM.
Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2013, 07:45 PM   #7
Irshhooligan
Registered Member

I'll be tagging along, keep the updates coming. Nice start.

Irshhooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2013, 07:50 PM   #8
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irshhooligan View Post
I'll be tagging along, keep the updates coming. Nice start.
Thank you!

Current Parameters are..

Salinity - 1.026
pH 8.0
Ammonia - .25ppm
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

Once that Ammonia comes down, it will all be kosher... I need to find another local rock to add to the biodiversity in this tank. Otherwise, I wait. I really, really hope this weekend things will be good enough to move my live stock from my 60 cube over, but it's looking increasingly like it might be next weekend....... I don't want to rush anything here.

Unread 01/06/2013, 11:22 AM   #9
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

I finally setup my ATO the other day, which is absolutely amazing... I used to manually top off my cube for two years, and this is just the biggest convenience ever. Also, I setup my MP40s to be in Reef Crest, anti-sync mode just now as well. We're getting closer to it being the final way I want things to be.

Depending on how tests go today, might add something in the tank today..... We'll see. Otherwise, I'll add something next week. All depends on those parameters.

As always, this thread would be useless without updated pictures, but since I have added a couple of nice pieces of live rock to the fuge, it has cleared up probably 90% since last weekend. Here are some pictures just taken.

Unread 01/06/2013, 11:43 AM   #10
bartek101
Registered Member

very nice

Unread 01/06/2013, 11:58 AM   #11
Reef1589
Anemones for life

Thats very nice! i like it.

Reef1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2013, 08:43 PM   #12
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

Thanks everyone. Parameters have settled down, and just to be certain and probably overkill I'm doing a weeks course of Seachem Stability. We added a yellow tang tonight (something we've been wanting for a while) and is doing excellent. Went through a small algae sheet I cut for him, and ate frozen like a champ. So far, the only inhabitant.

I can't wait for the next couple of months and I can start working on that Gigantea :-)

So far so good!!

Unread 01/06/2013, 08:43 PM   #13
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

Thanks everyone. Parameters have settled down, and just to be certain and probably overkill I'm doing a weeks course of Seachem Stability. We added a yellow tang tonight (something we've been wanting for a while) and is doing excellent. Went through a small algae sheet I cut for him, and ate frozen like a champ. So far, the only inhabitant.

I can't wait for the next couple of months and I can start working on that Gigantea :-)

So far so good!!

Unread 01/09/2013, 08:53 AM   #14
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

OK so a lot of updates since the weekend. Ammonia dropped to zero, has stayed zero, and just to be 100% positively sure, I have been dosing daily with Seachem Stability. I will continue to do so for a week to make sure parameters are spot on. So far, everything is perfect.. Since things have leveled off, I have added our first two inhabitants. First came a nice Yellow Tang, and last night came our Hippo. Both are eating, although the hippo is too concerned about chasing herself in the glass to do much else, but eats Rod's and garlic soaked mysis just fine. Hoping she figures it out eventually before getting too stressed and sick. We'll see though.

Secondly, I put some more liverock from my fuge upstairs down here to get pod growth going, and also got a nice lump of chaeto, little bit of red grape algae, and the rock I got even has a real cool red colored feather duster. All in all, my fuge is starting to grow. I came down late last night, and saw pods scattering all over the sand, so it's coming together.... My Mandarin is going to need some food when he gets in here!

Today, my BRS Carbon & GFO reactor came in the mail. For the first time, I actually have a reactor... Pretty darn neat... In my old tank I used chemipure elite, but boy, this is a MUCH better route. Dre had plumbed in a ball valve into my return line, so no external pump, just the pressure from the return, and dumping right back into the fuge. It's awesome, I love it!!

Tomorrow, I will get the screen top setup. I got the mesh today (thanks goat), and got the framing, spline, and tools from Home Depot. I'll tackle that one tomorrow, but so far, so good!

I moved three hammer colonies into here this afternoon and all of them are responding great. They're opening up just as big as in my cube with no visible issues whatsoever. If when I wake up tomorrow and everything is great, I'll move my basketball size bi-color frogspawn down.... then the Todd's Torch colony, and down the line.

I realize that I need some sand stirring animals, so tomorrow when I feed the cube, I'll grab some nassarius that are burrowed in the sand and start moving them over....

Anyways, as always here are some pictures from the sun slowly going down on our reef (Thanks Radion Natural mode!!)

Unread 01/27/2013, 11:10 AM   #15
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

So I added a Maldive's Exquisite Fairy Wrasse this week... full size, beautiful coloration, and getting along just fine with the Yellow Fin & Whip Fin fairy wrasses... No aggression, fin nipping, nothing. I'll get pictures of everyone when I clean the glass here shortly.

Also, a local reefer will be hooking me up with some frags of Tyree SPS to see how the Radions do compared to his MH.... Strawberry Shortcake, Pink Lemonade, ORA Red Planet, etc.... Looking forward to watching these grow out!

Here are some pictures of what it looks like right now.. when the glass is clean I'll take some zoom shots of corals, etc. The small sandy particulate from the super fine sugar sand is slowly starting to settle down... In time, it will all be crystal clear, but until then I wait!

FTS

Powder Blue & Yellow Tang

Powder Blue, Exquisite Fairy Wrasse & Longnose Hawkfish

Side shot...

New Exquisite... Maldive variety. Beautiful fish, large, and eats like a hog!

Unread 01/27/2013, 11:13 AM   #16
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

Side Shot.

From the left

Unread 01/27/2013, 03:07 PM   #17
bluegreg1997
Registered Member

Nice setup love the LED lights

bluegreg1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2013, 07:45 PM   #18
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

Just realized that I have neglected a FTS..

Current fish stock

- Powder Blue Tang
- Yellow Tang
- Hippo Tang
- Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
- Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse
- Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse
- Yellow Fin Fairy Wrasse
- Whip Fin Flasher Wrasse
- Yellow Watchman Goby
- Spotted Mandarin
- Long Nose Hawkfish
- Newly Mated Booyah's Onyx Clownfish Pair
- Cleaner Shrimp

As well, I added a purple Gigantea last week that is now the residence of the Onyx.... Now the pictures! Don't mind the non-clean glass... I need to scrub that tonight......

Unread 04/08/2013, 02:31 PM   #19
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

OK, well I haven't done an update in a long while and a lot has happened, so I figured maybe I should document what is going on..

So for one, you can never rinse out dry base rock enough is the moral of my story.. We have ~130# of marco rock in the DT and another couple of #s in the fuge. I rinsed the rock, and sand a LOT before going into the tank, but apparently not enough. After adding my fish and the one gig, I started getting a real bad cyano bloom. To the point where I had to re-home my prized SPS colonies to a buddies house (thanks jfuka). Thankfully, they'll recover and can come back when things are done, but I continue..

Everything was going great, skimmer rocking and rollin', parameters perfect, all was good.... One day, my skimmer just lost foam head and wouldn't regain it. I was puzzled, it hadn't done that in two months. I pulled it out, cleaned it, checked everything, worked just fine. I thought maybe I over GFO'd too quickly, or over carbon, but neither turned out to be the case. In fact I never figured out what in the heck actually caused it to happen. After about 1.5 weeks of basically NO skimming it came back and started working again, then the next thing happened.....

The cyano just came one day, and wouldn't go away. It would pick half of a rock or so, cover it like a mat, then be gone. This has been going on for probably 1.5 months now, but the spots that got it first are burning out, and I'm seeing less and less... Keep in mind I have been running GFO & Carbon constantly throughout the process so I am exporting as much of the phosphates as I can. Never did we get cyano on the sand, just the rock. So essentially whatever was trapped and died on the rock just 2 months into it, started coming out. In the process we lost our Hippo & Powder Blue. Total bummer.. I have since then been doing weekly 20G water changes which have taken me from a state of (tank crash freaking out) back to normal now.. it's under control.. To keep my inhabitants on top of their game, their food is all soaked in Selco, and periodically garlic, algae sheets daily, etc, etc... So I have stopped the bleeding, and good news is, the crap is burning out. Soon enough, my tank will be purple. We have coraline popping up all n the back glass, and on pieces of rock... Sadly, whatever was in the rock overwhelmed my biofilter, and the tangs were the most sensitive, so they didn't make it.. truly, what a bummer.. I have a bout of stress ich right now with some of my fish, but working through my mini almost crash it's getting much better... slowly but surely.

Recently, I picked up a Green Gig to go along with our Purple which has been making a miraculous recovery.. Gigs look AWESOME and knock on wood, neither medicated with cipro...

I run Natural Mode (Shallow Reef) on my tank so during mid point of the day it's around a 10-12k temperature which the gigs LOVE.... the light and daily feedings are helping them come back in a quick method. I'm experimenting with changing the depth, and now am running at 31ft down, so getting some blues in their as well, overall, I am loving this natural mode with the Radions. The tank truly is centered around the Gigs, and I hope eventually when everything is settled down and I feel a little less on edge, to get a blue Gig to complete my group.. Wonder if my Onyx's will notice the green gig right next door.

You can see in some of the pictures, the red cyano mat that takes over the rock, but it just gets smaller, and smaller, and eventually is gone... Soon enough, all of my rock will be purple\pink :-)

End of the day I'm reminded how delicate our tanks are, and nothing good happens quickly in this hobby no matter how much we think we know.

Some updated pictures....

Unread 04/08/2013, 02:32 PM   #20
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

Unread 05/05/2013, 01:42 PM   #21
rupatel
Registered Member

How is that skimmer working out for you I was thinking about buying one, Is it loud.

rupatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2013, 04:40 AM   #22
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupatel View Post
How is that skimmer working out for you I was thinking about buying one, Is it loud.
I wouldn't say it's quiet, but my return isn't quiet either... Regardless of the sound, the darn thing works and comes in at a great price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topenjoin View Post
Nice setup
Thank you! It has come a LONG way now with the rock starting to turn purple in spots...... It's getting there finally.

Unread 03/25/2014, 01:11 PM   #23
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

Wow, so I just realized I haven't update this is a LONG time.... I mean long!

To make a long story short I struggled with cyano (so bad to the point I couldn't keep SPS, or really anything) since last September\October. For months I did 25-30% weekly water changes, ran high capacity GFO, tried carbon dosing, basically everything under the sun... no luck to completely eradicate it.

Fast forward about 3 weeks ago, i finally got the cyano to be minimal, and the road continued to be slow, slow slow there were just parts I couldn't get rid of. Under advice from a local reefer and a little bit of nudging (thanks Mark), I finally just did chemi-clean last Thursday. I really hate doing chemicals in my tank for anything, but I was at the end of my rope. I was at the point I was going to just tear the tank down and call it done. Boy am I happy I finally did it , and should've done it earlier. After two days, it looked at those cyano never happen. The chemi-clean got a bunch of sludge, gunk, and crap from my skimmer (and it seems to be performing much nicer), my rock is almost overnight encrusting with coraline, and in general, my SPS polyp extension has blown up... Overall, I'm VERY satisfied. It certainly isn't for everyone, and not a silver bullet, but it did perform what I think is a detox for my sick tank.. It sure as heck cleaned it out like a champ.

Also since the last update, I have started two part dosing as I realized my Alk was 6.3 and calc was 330. Now they are steady at Alk - 8.5 and Calc 440. The SPS are growing like weeds. I'm dealing with a little bit of bryopsis right now, because while my Alk & Calc were low, my Mag was just as bad, it was down to 1,000 at one point. I've been dosing Tech M now to both eradicate the Bryopsis and as well get my Mag to a stable level, which I am very close to. I'm sitting around 1385 right now and want to get it to 1500. I'm noticing the bryopsis that is left is getting brown at the tips and basically dying. Should be all gone in no time.

For the first time in probably six months or more, I'm actually proud to show off my tank... Here's some updated pictures, along with some of my SPS we have now. I've gone from not being able to keep absolutely anything to this...

Needless to say I'm very happy and enjoying the hobby again..

FTS.. Notice the nice clean sand..

Aussie Sarmentosa.

A. Plana (burnt a little when my mag was swinging) Growing back nicely now

Unknown but blue'ing up in my tank.

ORA Plum Crazy

Unknown Tenuis

Unread 03/25/2014, 01:13 PM   #24
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

Mother of Pearl

Copp's tabling hyacinthus. Encrusting rapidly and developing a green'ish tint where it's latched into a little cave.

Blue Stag w\ green polyps and base

Limeade

Tyree Pink Lemonade

Back Left to Right.. Cali Tort, Strawberry Shortcake, uknown and unknown

Forest Fire Digi, Oregon Tort, Yellow Millepora, Red Planet, Unknown tenuis and unknown neon green SPS in back

Oregon Tort

Unread 03/25/2014, 01:14 PM   #25
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

Absolutely no clue what this is.. It's light blue, orange, green, and everything in between.. This one is a stunner.

A. Loripes. Need to frag this one soon, it's growing very quickly

Markie Mark & The Funky Bunch aqua stunner

Last but not least, our S. Giganteas