Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/22/2020, 07:17 PM   #1
lilouisianagal
Registered Member

Best online sources for fish and corals?

What are the best online sources for fish? I've poked around LiveAquaria some, but are there any other options I should consider?

Unread 09/24/2020, 01:15 PM   #2
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

A year or so ago I would have recommended Live Aquaria, but they made several changes that have caused me to boycott them. My next fish purchase will probably be from my local fish store. I do have a few sites to list that you could check out, but I haven't tried all of them.

KPAquatics.com is my favorite store for Florida/Caribbean species, like Royal Grammas. Plus they sell farmed live rock. $40 shipping.

Bluezooaquatics.com has been around for a while, so they must be doing something right. $40 shipping.

Saltwaterfish.com ships for $30 and $99 purchase gets you free shipping.

Check those three out. Hope this helps!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2020, 04:18 PM   #3
lionfish300
Registered Member

Yep that is too bad about the changes with Live Aquaria. I have bought a lot of fish and corals from them over the last 15 plus years

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2020, 08:11 PM   #4
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionfish300 View Post
Yep that is too bad about the changes with Live Aquaria. I have bought a lot of fish and corals from them over the last 15 plus years

What changes have they made recently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2020, 02:37 PM   #5
lionfish300
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djryan2000 View Post
What changes have they made recently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Recently? I have not keep up but Prices, Policies, Inventories, Cuctomer service you name it

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2020, 11:54 AM   #6
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I have no desire to turn this into an anti-Live Aquaria thread. They really may have been the best. Here's why I thought so: Free shipping on $99 livestock purchase, $49 on dry goods. I often buy multiples of fish, so it was pretty easy to get free shipping. Also being able to get heavy things like salt and sand shipped without shipping cost was awesome. Their arrive alive guarantee was fair too, and most fish arrived alive and healthy. A key feature was when you needed to get refunded for a DOA, they credited your credit card. I didn't realize how important this one point was until it was gone.

Now it's $149 livestock and $29 on dry goods. I will probably continue to buy dry goods from them, with this policy upgrade. The bump up to 149 is a bummer, after $99, but isn't terrible. This change alone wouldn't have driven me away.

What ended my patronage was a combination of two things: the quality of livestock took a precipitous dive, where most, if not all fish arrived sick or dead. And the credit policy shifted from credit to your card, to store credit only. This lead to a situation where I kept reordering dead fish, only to be shipped more dead (or dying) fish. Store credit locked me in to a carousel of credits and shipping changes. As those shipping charges piled up, I had no fish to show for it. Worst of all, I began to question my own abilities and love for the hobby. And these key changes made it obvious to me that they made (a lot) more money shipping dead or dying fish to their customers.

That's my experience. So for me, LA is no longer a good choice for aquatic livestock. I would be delighted to tell anyone who IS the best online retailer of livestock, but with the pandemic/economy I haven't bought fish in months. I intend to give my fish business to my two, excellent, local fish stores. If I order fish online again, I'll likely order from KPaquatics.com. I've had excellent experience with livestock from them.

Sorry to ramble on! I hope this is helpful.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2020, 04:28 AM   #7
Axel33
Registered Member

I've used live aquaria. I also like their compatibility chart.

Axel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2020, 12:30 PM   #8
lilouisianagal
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback!

Unread 10/03/2020, 12:47 PM   #9
djryan2000
Registered Member

I was very satisfied with Fish of Hex for coral shipment.

He rigorously quarantines new corals and all of the corals he sells are grown and fragged in his system. The only pest he has is vermetid snails. He does also provide coral dip for peace of mind.

He also has the parameters and PAR the corals are grown under readily available to avoid shocking them. All 13 frags I ordered were open and happy in my tank within 30 minutes.

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote