Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/18/2017, 03:53 AM   #1726
Shelbytwp123
Registered Member

Question that I know has multiple answers but I guess I am looking to draw conclusion on happy medium..so here we go... 40 gallon breeder tank mixed reef .. mars aqua 32" 300w .. about 10" above the water surface... can any you guys post what % do you guys have your full spectrum(white) and what % you guys have tour blues on as well as for how many hours each do you keep on thru out the day... I don't have PAR meter so I am trying to figure things out with out causing to much pain to the eco system and my tiny reef ...

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Shelbytwp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2017, 05:40 PM   #1727
garygonzales
Registered Member

i have my blues all the way up and the whites about 1/4 way

garygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 06:09 AM   #1728
triscene
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJAB View Post

Hello All,
I wanted to provided the 165W LED layout that i made in case anyone was looking for it. Just like "rgulrich" 300W layout mine was put together using pictures and any information gathered online I'm also including how I'm planning to mod mine this coming weekend (providing the LED's finally get here from china). I hate how yellow the daylights are so Im replacing all (6) Warm White 3500K, and (4) Neutral White 7500K LED's with (4) 20000K, (4) 490nm, and (2) 395nm LED's as shown below:

if you all have any comments, questions, or concerns please let me know
I plan to mimic this setup, already ordered some leds on Ebay.
still good or would you adjust something?
I like blueish look so tank doesnt look washed out.

triscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 04:21 PM   #1729
themummra
Registered Member

I have heard from multiple people now that a 300w can cover a 40breeder without shadows on the sides.

Can anyone confirm before I buy one, preferably if you have a picture?

themummra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 04:35 PM   #1730
maddmaxx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themummra View Post
I have heard from multiple people now that a 300w can cover a 40breeder without shadows on the sides.

Can anyone confirm before I buy one, preferably if you have a picture?
the 300w damn near is the length of the tank lol...300w for a 40B is what i recommended every time

Current Tank Info: 40B Mixed reef
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 11:19 PM   #1731
mikeynolan122
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic081 View Post
My Frag tank needed a upgrade for lights and I decided to give the Chinese Led lights on Ebay a shot. Im very impressed right now with them and for the money i don't think they can be beat. (I have no affiliation with these lights, im a hobbiest like everyone else.)

Link to the Ebay Site.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Dimmabl...item5658e7c2e9

Description :

Dimmable 165W LED Aquarium Light with Lens for each led.

Dimmer One(28 LEDs): 8 x Cool White 12,000k, 6 x Neutral White 7500k, 6 x Warm White 3500k, 2 x Red 660nm, 2 x Green 520nm, 4 x Blue 460nm

Dimmer Two(27 LEDs): 7 x Royal Blue 450nm, 20 x Blue 460nm

Two Dimmers, two power cords and two on/off switches to control blue &white separately

Output Optimized for PAR, Sufficient Lights Spectrum, Super Light Penetration

PAR of the light is: 28PAR for Lens can output more PAR

3 Watt Epistar LED

LED Output Power: 55pcs*3watt

Dimension: 400mm*212mm*60mm

Working temperature: -20 to 40 Degree Celsius

Input voltage: AC85V-265V

Lifespan: 50000-100000hours

The range of power consumption under 110V: 123W-130W; 220V: 120W-126W

Black painted casing.

The LED Spectrum ratio can be changed for big order (more than 2pcs).

Ordered on Monday evening. Arrived Friday afternoon.

Packing was very good

Out of the box

Mounted on my Frag tank. They did not give off a huge area of light, the frag tank is only 12" tall so i mounted them where they can hit everything in the tank. They are still a little high, Ill lower them later to let corals adjust.

All blue, and all White so you can see them side by side.

Randoms of the frag tank. These colors are VERY true to the real life colors. Im very happy with that.

Overall im happy with these lights and would recommend them for a cheap alternative. I dont think they can be connected to any controller, so they are just a basic on and off with a dimmer.

I have had same lights for 7 months very happy with them
I purchased a bluefish controller and wired them up so have full control from app on phone even thunderstorms plus real time location weather simulation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeynolan122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 01:37 PM   #1732
iced98lx
Registered Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCSbukB3Ieg

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2017, 10:43 PM   #1733
dz6t
Registered Member

This video caused a long debate on *********, basically, the take home message is that the $100 light can grow coral. Actually I have seen plenty of beautiful reef tanks including SPS dominated under various brands of black box led.
If you want a piece of nice furniture and controllability, and you have the spare change for it, go get the $800 light.

dz6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2017, 10:46 PM   #1734
dz6t
Registered Member

Well, I will take back the last sentence, if you want a nice piece of furniture and controllably, you can go with something like Reefbreeders, SB reef light, Led zeal, lumini Aqua, Everygrow (the same models as photon v2), Zetlight etc, plenty of choice out there.

Unread 10/02/2017, 05:34 PM   #1735
reeferfoxx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz6t View Post
Well, I will take back the last sentence, if you want a nice piece of furniture and controllably, you can go with something like Reefbreeders, SB reef light, Led zeal, lumini Aqua, Everygrow (the same models as photon v2), Zetlight etc, plenty of choice out there.

Reefbreeders photon v2 or anything similar to photon V2, Zetlight and others lack spectrum blending. In fact a lot of those lights space diodes out too far creating huge disco light effects and spectral separation. If anyone has put any faith in BRS's spectral analysis, you'll understand that spectrum blending should be a concern. I looked at a lot of Zetlight fixtures and found them to be missing the 390-420nm range and doesn't quite hit all chlorophyll needs. I think this something that is better achieved with black box designs and shouldn't be entirely frowned upon.

reeferfoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2017, 06:31 PM   #1736
dz6t
Registered Member

Have you ever use a Radeon and a photon v2 side by side? If you have not, please try them in person and not just rely on what other people said.
I have both, I can tell you there is no visible disco ball effect on both.

Unread 10/02/2017, 06:32 PM   #1737
dz6t
Registered Member

I can also tell you that for almost two years of using both of them, the reefbreeders photon v2 has no difference in coral growth vs Radeon G3. Also, there are much less shading for SPS colonies from photon v2

Unread 10/02/2017, 08:50 PM   #1738
reeferfoxx
Registered Member

Ok, but I didn't say anything about the radion.

Photon V2 disco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-5exIALQWU

Unread 10/02/2017, 08:55 PM   #1739
dz6t
Registered Member

I used to quite concern about spectrum blending and believed the cluster types of led such as AI hydra and Ecotech are the only way to blend spectrum. But in years of research and using various types of led in my coral lab, I found these results may help answer some questions:
1. If coral are position 5 to 6 inches below water surface, the water above the coral actually help blend the spectrum well.
2. White led are the full spectrum led, they contains the blue, red and green spectrum as the other color led chips. Other color is more like enhancements such as the blue and violet, as well as the so called "UV", which are at 400 to 420 nM.
3. If the almost useless green and red channels are reduced to low level or turn off, there is no visible disco ball effect.

4. Coral utilize a wide range light spectrum and their photosynthesis action curves are wider than plants on the land.
Also there is one thing coral do that plants can not, is to manipulate light spectrum and convert them to be useful for photosynthesis via their proteins.
So as long as white led is used, there should not be a concern of lack of some spectrum.

4. Coral growth in long term actually not much different among various led despite their design. But shading for SPS colonies, small or big, is very different between cluster types and grid type lay out.

Unread 10/02/2017, 08:59 PM   #1740
reeferfoxx
Registered Member

Oh cool, copy and paste.

there should not be a concern of lack of some spectrum.
If the almost useless green and red channels

Let's at least research what we copy and paste.

Unread 10/02/2017, 08:59 PM   #1741
dz6t
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferfoxx View Post
Ok, but I didn't say anything about the radion.

Photon V2 disco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-5exIALQWU

Is that your video?
The effect in the video is the type of shimmer caused by grid lay out led. Also if the red and green is set to low or turn off, there is no color separation on the sand bed.

Unread 10/02/2017, 09:00 PM   #1742
dz6t
Registered Member

Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

Copy and paste? I type all these on my phone, lol
Copy from what?

Unread 10/02/2017, 09:05 PM   #1743
reeferfoxx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz6t View Post
Is that your video?
The effect in the video is the type of shimmer caused by grid lay out led. Also if the red and green is set to low or turn off, there is no color separation on the sand bed.

No it's not my video. However, spreading the diodes out creates shimmer, yes. Adding other colors to help fill the required chlorophyll a,b, and c does create disco. If the diodes were closer together you wouldn't notice it as much. Furthur more the spectrum blending would be much better.

So, this argument for you has taken place before and I see you don't much faith in BRS's video(original point). It's ok. Your photonn v2 is OK. Not great but ok.

Unread 10/02/2017, 09:12 PM   #1744
dz6t
Registered Member

Quote:
No it's not my video. However, spreading the diodes out creates shimmer, yes. Adding other colors to help fill the required chlorophyll a,b, and c does create disco. If the diodes were closer together you wouldn't notice it as much. Furthur more the spectrum blending would be much better.

So, this argument for you has taken place before and I see you don't much faith in BRS's video(original point). It's ok. Your photonn v2 is OK. Not great but ok.

Adding red and green led does not contribute to the so called full spectrum as the white led chips are already cover that spectrum.
The reason red and green led are there because of marketing. Some people just don't buy led with out red and green because they think there is a lack of so called full spectrum.

Unread 10/02/2017, 09:14 PM   #1745
dz6t
Registered Member

I have AI, ecotech too and I really don't care who make those led lights. Coral growth is important to me, cluster types of led just won't cut it without t5 supplement.

Unread 10/02/2017, 09:18 PM   #1746
dz6t
Registered Member

Quote:

Well, Ryan from BRS has been pushing grid layout led too. For matter of fact, grid layout led just works better than clusters type led regardless who make them and what price range.

Unread 10/02/2017, 09:21 PM   #1747
dz6t
Registered Member

Since we are in the marsaqua thread, the best led lighting situation is to cover the whole tank with blackboxes side by side.

Unread 10/02/2017, 09:26 PM   #1748
dz6t
Registered Member

Mars Aqua Chinese LED review (Ebay)

For one of my 8 feet acro frag tank, I covered the whole tank with led.
You can see the photo of a small section of my frags here:
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/...al-lab.158503/

Unread 10/09/2017, 02:13 PM   #1749
themummra
Registered Member

Should I remove the lenses on a 300w mars aqua? It will be 16-20" above a 40breeder

themummra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2017, 05:25 PM   #1750
garygonzales
Registered Member

you shouldn't have to...should have plenty of coverage

garygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote