Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/25/2017, 06:40 PM   #1
Nekko123
Registered Member

Gluing Frags with Gorilla Glue

Question about Gorilla Glue (the original stuff). Have you used it? If not is it because it doesn't work or because it is toxic. I would really like to know.

The regular Gorilla Glue now comes in a clear drying formulation. All I can confirm is that it is a Polyurethane Adhesive.

They also make a Super Glue Gel, which is the same as Super Glue (Ethyl Cyanoacrylate adhesive( but it's the same as Super Glue.

I have used the Gorilla Super Glue with no issues. But I think the Gorilla Glue would be even better (It needs moisture to activate). I would like to try it but not until I have some assurance that it would not be toxic in the tank.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Nekko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 04:51 AM   #2
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Seems to me like it would be a huge pain. It foams and expands if it gets wet and cures too quickly, plus the cure time means you'd have to find some way to support the frag for a while.

Super glue works very well - it's quick, strong, nontoxic, and works under water. If you need something more substantial, you could use epoxy putty - either one of the hobby branded products from an lfs or waterweld from the hardware store.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 07:16 AM   #3
mluntz
Registered Member

I tried Gorilla Glue Gel and it didn't work well for me. I tried epoxy and it made my skimmer go nuts. I bought some CorAffix glue, it's made by TLF, seems to work ok, and has no adverse affect on my skimmer.

Unread 09/26/2017, 08:43 AM   #4
ktownhero
Registered Member

Use Gorilla Gel Glue coupled with an epoxy like JB Water Weld. Use the Gel on both sides of the epoxy putty and you're golden.

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 08:46 AM   #5
mako61
Registered Member

The best method i have found for attaching is

super glue - epoxy - super glue sandwich

works very well just gets glue on your fingers. The glue holds the epoxy to plug and rock and forms a good surface to bond.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 10:48 AM   #6
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako61 View Post

works very well just gets glue on your fingers. The glue holds the epoxy to plug and rock and forms a good surface to bond.
This is what I do but lately, I've been using Aquamaxx Reef Welder instead of epoxy. I like it much better because you don't get leftovers on your fingers when mixing and it has no effect on my skimmer.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 11:29 AM   #7
jd371
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako61 View Post

^This! I actually get less glue on my fingers now instead of when I would squeeze the tube in the tank.

I would wind up using too much glue because the frag wouldn't hold and I 'd use more glue and hold it place until it bonded, getting glue on my fingers and on top of that trying to shoo away the fish or shrimp that would harass me to no end thinking it was feeding time.
What I do now is after the frag is dipped and ready to go into the tank I cut off the bottom part of the frag so just the disc part is left. I take small ball of the epoxy putty(TLF Aquastik), put some glue under the frag and press the ball of putty onto the frag to flatten it out some, I then put some glue on the putty and place the frag sandwich where it belongs in the tank.
With this way you're not squeezing the tube of glue inside the tank and making a mess. The putty also conforms to the shape of the rock for a better hold, instead of being held in place by just a small part of the frag with a spot of glue. I press the frag onto the rock and it stays put, no more finding frags breaking free or being knocked over anymore since I've been doing it this way

jd371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 07:12 PM   #8
cch1321
Registered Member

I wouldn't recommend it. I even tried the gorilla glue super glue. It still foams and makes a big ol' mess. Just pick up super glue brand (or generic brand) gel.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon mixed reef (Moving towards the SPS side of things)
cch1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 07:38 PM   #9
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cch1321 View Post
I wouldn't recommend it. I even tried the gorilla glue super glue. It still foams and makes a big ol' mess. Just pick up super glue brand (or generic brand) gel.

??? Gorilla glue super glue does not foam. It's just plain super glue with a gorilla glue sticker on it.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2017, 03:04 AM   #10
cch1321
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
??? Gorilla glue super glue does not foam. It's just plain super glue with a gorilla glue sticker on it.
That's what I thought too when I used it. I'll post a picture of what it did to my frags later when the frag tank lights come on

Unread 09/27/2017, 03:08 AM   #11
cch1321
Registered Member

Quote:
That's what I thought too when I used it. I'll post a picture of what it did to my frags later when the frag tank lights come on

Also worth noting is I'm taking about the gorilla super glue gel. I always use gel superglue since the consistency is better.

Unread 09/27/2017, 06:12 AM   #12
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Also worth noting is I'm taking about the gorilla super glue gel. I always use gel superglue since the consistency is better.

Yea. Gorilla glue super glue gel is just normal super glue and doesn't react differently than any other brand super glue.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2017, 06:35 AM   #13
cch1321
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Yea. Gorilla glue super glue gel is just normal super glue and doesn't react differently than any other brand super glue.
The picture with the 2 frags is with the gorilla super glue gel. Notice the bubbles in the glue and the expansion.

The same day I did the single frag using a similar amount of generic home depot gel super glue. No bubbles or expansion.

(Please ignore the algae one the bases of the frags)

I found it consistently did this. I haven't had that issue with any other brand. Just my experience, though.

Unread 09/27/2017, 06:47 AM   #14
ktownhero
Registered Member

I've never had the gorilla super glue gel create bubbles, but I also don't apply it under water. That said, there's no point in buying anything but the cheapest available -- it's all fundamentally the same stuff.

Unread 09/27/2017, 06:52 AM   #15
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
I've never had the gorilla super glue gel create bubbles, but I also don't apply it under water. That said, there's no point in buying anything but the cheapest available -- it's all fundamentally the same stuff.
Just buy from a store with lots of turnover and keep it in the fridge. It expires quickly and old glue that's been sitting on a shelf for months will make you frustrated.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
Unread 09/27/2017, 07:14 AM   #16
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
Just buy from a store with lots of turnover and keep it in the fridge. It expires quickly and old glue that's been sitting on a shelf for months will make you frustrated.
We've had different experiences. I've had open bottles of super glue gel that sit in a drawer for months and I use it just like the day it was opened. Just need to clear the nozzle.

Unread 09/27/2017, 08:07 AM   #17
mluntz
Registered Member

Quote:
Use Gorilla Gel Glue coupled with an epoxy like JB Water Weld. Use the Gel on both sides of the epoxy putty and you're golden.
Does the JB Water Weld make your skimmer go nuts?

Unread 09/27/2017, 08:37 AM   #18
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
We've had different experiences. I've had open bottles of super glue gel that sit in a drawer for months and I use it just like the day it was opened.
Me too. But I've also had bottles that were older when purchased that started to lose strength after a month or two. And I once bought some that was obviously old from a tiny little drug store when I was in a pinch, and it was garbage right on day one. Buying it fresh and keeping it cool doesn't cost anything extra, I've been doing it by default for a decade or two as a preventive measure.

Unread 09/27/2017, 10:16 AM   #19
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mluntz View Post
Does the JB Water Weld make your skimmer go nuts?
No, doesn't affect my skimmer at all.

Unread 09/27/2017, 01:37 PM   #20
chaudhry
Registered Member

I have tried original gorilla glue and it does not work. I was just experimented gorilla glue on a frag plug (without a coral) on it and tried to attach it to another piece of rock under water.
It does not work.
And it just spill over the frag and does not make a blob as you would get with the gel formula.
Gorilla gel formula works the best. Put a big blob, drop few drops of water in it to cure it for few seconds. Take it underwater. Twist it on the rock few times to get a bond. Wait 1 minute and walaah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chaudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2017, 03:18 PM   #21
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

I just used some gorilla glue gel and it didn't foam up under water. If you want cheap and effective, get Jurassic Gel. I used one tube to create my entire aquascape and it worked great.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote