Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/20/2017, 07:57 PM   #1
mfinn
Registered Member

Pump noise on the RD3 pumps

I know everybody says the RD3 pumps are very quiet, but I'm wondering has anyone actually measured it?

I bought a RD3 150 watt for my closed loop.
I'm waiting on a couple plumbing parts for that install.
But I'm considering switch out my current return pump ( a very quiet dc pump) for a RD3 80 watt.

When I look at a pump, one of the first things I consider is the amount of noise it makes.
Has anyone done a test to determine decibels on a Rd3 80 watt?

Unread 05/20/2017, 08:22 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinn View Post
I know everybody says the RD3 pumps are very quiet, but I'm wondering has anyone actually measured it?

I bought a RD3 150 watt for my closed loop.
I'm waiting on a couple plumbing parts for that install.
But I'm considering switch out my current return pump ( a very quiet dc pump) for a RD3 80 watt.

When I look at a pump, one of the first things I consider is the amount of noise it makes.
Has anyone done a test to determine decibels on a Rd3 80 watt?
I have not put a dB meter to mine but I can tell you this. I run a pair of RD3 230's. They are the same motor as the RD3 150. Only the impeller and volute are different besides the power output of the controller. When I first swapped out my Reeflo Superdart gold and setup my first RD3 230 for my closed loop and turned it on, my heart sank. It made no noise and no vibration at all. I literally thought it was dead and was truly bummed out. My closed loop dumps out under my live rock so at first glance I had no indicator that it was running and since I couldn't hear it or feel anything when I put my hand on it, I was pretty frustrated. Honest to god. It wasn't until I looked below the rocks and saw sand getting blasted out that I realized it was actually working. This is an honest to god true story. Once I realized it was working, I was shocked. I had never seen or heard a quieter pump and I've seen them all.

To say they are near silent is an understatement. It wasn't but a month after that that I bought a second one for my return pump because I was truly sold. It's now been over 2 years since I made the switch and I couldn't be happier. I paid for them out of my own pocket just before I took a role with Royal Exclusiv and I would do it again in a heart beat. They are by FAR the quietest pumps on the market and are built like tanks. Mine replaced a pair of Reeflo Super Dart Golds which were pretty damn quiet but there is no comparison. Not only are they pretty much silent but they also run cold to the touch. They are not like a typical DC pump. These run high voltage but low current AC to the block so there is not any real heat transfer generated from them. The controller is heavy and made of out aluminum and ultimately is where most of the heat is bled off. My tank dropped a couple degrees when I switched from the Darts.

I've had my hands on every high end pump out there and done installs with pretty much all of the good pumps that are said to be quiet.. The RD3 150 and RD3 230 are in a class all their own. When you get that thing installed, you be sure to come back to this post and let us know what you think. I can all but promise you that you are in for a serious pleasant surprise. Anybody that has run these pumps will tell you the same. You will NOT be disappointed.

If you want feedback from others, join the Royal Exclusiv Facebook group. There are several members that have the RD3 230's and RD3 150's. Post there and ask the question.

Here is a link to the group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Bubb...?ref=bookmarks

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2017, 08:52 PM   #3
mfinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I have not put a dB meter to mine but I can tell you this. I run a pair of RD3 230's. They are the same motor as the RD3 150. Only the impeller and volute are different besides the power output of the controller. When I first swapped out my Reeflo Superdart gold and setup my first RD3 230 for my closed loop and turned it on, my heart sank. It made no noise and no vibration at all. I literally thought it was dead and was truly bummed out. My closed loop dumps out under my live rock so at first glance I had no indicator that it was running and since I couldn't hear it or feel anything when I put my hand on it, I was pretty frustrated. Honest to god. It wasn't until I looked below the rocks and saw sand getting blasted out that I realized it was actually working. This is an honest to god true story. Once I realized it was working, I was shocked. I had never seen or heard a quieter pump and I've seen them all.

To say they are near silent is an understatement. It wasn't but a month after that that I bought a second one for my return pump because I was truly sold. It's now been over 2 years since I made the switch and I couldn't be happier. I paid for them out of my own pocket just before I took a role with Royal Exclusiv and I would do it again in a heart beat. They are by FAR the quietest pumps on the market and are built like tanks. Mine replaced a pair of Reeflo Super Dart Golds which were pretty damn quiet but there is no comparison. Not only are they pretty much silent but they also run cold to the touch. They are not like a typical DC pump. These run high voltage but low current AC to the block so there is not any real heat transfer generated from them. The controller is heavy and made of out aluminum and ultimately is where most of the heat is bled off. My tank dropped a couple degrees when I switched from the Darts.

I've had my hands on every high end pump out there and done installs with pretty much all of the good pumps that are said to be quiet.. The RD3 150 and RD3 230 are in a class all their own. When you get that thing installed, you be sure to come back to this post and let us know what you think. I can all but promise you that you are in for a serious pleasant surprise. Anybody that has run these pumps will tell you the same. You will NOT be disappointed.

If you want feedback from others, join the Royal Exclusiv Facebook group. There are several members that have the RD3 230's and RD3 150's. Post there and ask the question.

Here is a link to the group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Bubb...?ref=bookmarks

Thanks.
That's what I've heard and what convinced me to spring for the RD3 150 watt.
I'm trying to convince myself to make the move to replace my current dc return pump with a RD3 80 watt.

Unread 05/25/2017, 08:07 AM   #4
kennytze
Registered Member

I've been running the RD3 Speedy 80 watt pump as my return pump on my 180 gal mixed reef tank for a year and a half. It is so quiet it is scary. The only way to know if it is running is if the display tank is siphoning back to tank. It is a bit pricey but I absolutely recommend.

kennytze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 08:22 AM   #5
Breadman03
New Old School

I used a dB app, Decibel 10th, on my iPhone that claims to be very accurate. It measures 46.5 dB about 2 feet away from an RD3-230 at 70%. It's been in constant use on my basement sump since shortly after MACNA 2015.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 09:57 AM   #6
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

I'm running a new RD3 80w that I just got installed and running this past week. It's so quiet that when I first started it up, I had to do a double take to make sure it was on and pumping water. I was.

Unread 06/08/2017, 10:37 AM   #7
mfinn
Registered Member

Just a follow up.
Did spring for the RD3 80watt pump and I love it.