Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/30/2017, 08:35 AM   #1
devildog999
That Guy

Seeding Copepods

Current setup is a 50g with 20g sump. Its being built around a pair of H Erectus seahorses (not yet purchased, letting tank mature) but I do have a male Mandarin. Most recently, I bought 2 of the 5k copepods from AlgaeBarn so a little over 10k. Going to be adding a female Mandy as well. My question is how often should I add new copepods to a)add new genetics and b) keep numbers up? I was thinking of ordering a 20 oz order from a local company once a month (comes with about the same amount as AlgaeBarns 5210 copes) but thinking maybe I'm putting in too many at that point?

Appreciate input

devildog999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 08:42 AM   #2
ktownhero
Registered Member

I put one bag of pods I bought on Amazon in my tank about a year ago. It is a 4'x2' tank, and my mandarin has been happy as a clam. Haven't added anything else since. I keep a bunch of rubble and chaeto in the sump which probably helps.

I wouldn't overdo it. Just get some in there to start and once they take hold they should colonize nicely. Their populations will always adjust to demand.

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 08:48 AM   #3
MurphyLong
HMFIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog999 View Post
Current setup is a 50g with 20g sump. Its being built around a pair of H Erectus seahorses (not yet purchased, letting tank mature) but I do have a male Mandarin. Most recently, I bought 2 of the 5k copepods from AlgaeBarn so a little over 10k. Going to be adding a female Mandy as well. My question is how often should I add new copepods to a)add new genetics and b) keep numbers up? I was thinking of ordering a 20 oz order from a local company once a month (comes with about the same amount as AlgaeBarns 5210 copes) but thinking maybe I'm putting in too many at that point?

Appreciate input
IMHO, having 1 Mandarin (let alone 2) in a 50g is too much.... with that said, as long as you're prepared to keep buying pods, more power to you.

MurphyLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 10:48 AM   #4
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

how long has the tank been set up?
how much rock do you have?
do you have a functioning refugium?

i'm assuming you're not going to rely on pods alone to feed your seahorses?

when i add pods it's usually just early on in the tanks lifecycle to help seed things. after that, as long as they're given a place to live and reproduce away from predators, and you're feeding them enough (by this i mean indirect feeding. feeding your other fish or adding a little food to the tank to help give them some nutrients is really all they require) then over time the population should stabilize on its own.

i think for something in the area of 50 gallons, with a mandy and eventually seahorses, having a functioning fuge would be more beneficial than just dosing pods once a month. with that you will be able to give pods a place to reproduce on their own, and food (algae and detritus). this will also have the benefit of macro-algae to help absorb to excess nutrients from the seahorses when you get them since they require so much feeding and tend to be messy eaters.

tldr; rock heavy, functioning fuge, and proper feeding, i wouldn't be too worried about dosing monthly.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2017, 04:22 PM   #5
devildog999
That Guy

I have 50lb LR in the DT. I have a 19g sump with a refugium compartment they are quite fond of (not hard to find them when looking on the glass, they all over). I'm also going to add a mantis setup to the system (connected to the sump) that will be treated as a fuge as well. Since I cannot keep other critters with the mantis, figured some more macro and pods was a good idea. I SHOULD be able to out produce what the predators are eating but figured it couldn't hurt to get other opinions.

On a side note, the only concern isn't keeping a pod count high enough to sustain itself while being picked off by some serial killers. I also want to ensure new genetics are added once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
how long has the tank been set up?
how much rock do you have?
do you have a functioning refugium?

i'm assuming you're not going to rely on pods alone to feed your seahorses?

when i add pods it's usually just early on in the tanks lifecycle to help seed things. after that, as long as they're given a place to live and reproduce away from predators, and you're feeding them enough (by this i mean indirect feeding. feeding your other fish or adding a little food to the tank to help give them some nutrients is really all they require) then over time the population should stabilize on its own.

i think for something in the area of 50 gallons, with a mandy and eventually seahorses, having a functioning fuge would be more beneficial than just dosing pods once a month. with that you will be able to give pods a place to reproduce on their own, and food (algae and detritus). this will also have the benefit of macro-algae to help absorb to excess nutrients from the seahorses when you get them since they require so much feeding and tend to be messy eaters.

tldr; rock heavy, functioning fuge, and proper feeding, i wouldn't be too worried about dosing monthly.

Unread 10/31/2017, 06:43 AM   #6
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

i think that sounds like a solid plan then.

as a side note, if you haven't already seen these little doo-dads, Paul B the creator calls them feeding stations, they can be real helpful for dispensing live food like white worms to slow eaters like dragonets or seahorses.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2166449

good luck with the system mandys, seahorses, and mantises are some of my favorite critters. so far i've only had the opportunity to keep the mandys though.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 06:41 PM   #7
devildog999
That Guy

Appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
i think that sounds like a solid plan then.

as a side note, if you haven't already seen these little doo-dads, Paul B the creator calls them feeding stations, they can be real helpful for dispensing live food like white worms to slow eaters like dragonets or seahorses.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2166449

good luck with the system mandys, seahorses, and mantises are some of my favorite critters. so far i've only had the opportunity to keep the mandys though.

Unread 12/13/2017, 02:50 AM   #8
Pdisner
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog999 View Post
I have 50lb LR in the DT. I have a 19g sump with a refugium compartment they are quite fond of (not hard to find them when looking on the glass, they all over). I'm also going to add a mantis setup to the system (connected to the sump) that will be treated as a fuge as well. Since I cannot keep other critters with the mantis, figured some more macro and pods was a good idea. I SHOULD be able to out produce what the predators are eating but figured it couldn't hurt to get other opinions.

On a side note, the only concern isn't keeping a pod count high enough to sustain itself while being picked off by some serial killers. I also want to ensure new genetics are added once in a while.

I have separate cultures of pods (and rotifers). I raise the pods separately because it takes up to a month for one of those little guys to mature. There’s too many factors against you in a refugium, at least in my experience. There’s a better way: I just have a few buckets and a couple small glass aquariums with a little macro algae. There’s a few other tricks....but do the research on the species that you’re trying to raise. Pick the right one, that’s easy to culture and feed. Make sure you know what they eat. It’s not just Phyto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pdisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 06:05 AM   #9
alton
Registered Member

For the sea horse care contact Cheryl from MAAST.org our local club. She is the Queen of Sea Horses and their care. On the Mandarins hopefully you can get them trained on eating additional foods along with pods. Since you are only having Sea Horses, there will not be any competition for regular food for the mandarins. When I had my 29 with Jawfish I needed something to help with food clean up and found a Green Spotted Mandarin that loved mini mysis and spirulina brine.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote