Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/09/2017, 12:08 AM   #1
Darth_Tater
Registered Member

Marineland 300DD Bottom Support

I've seen a couple Marineland 300DD tanks for sale lately, and I really really like the dimensions. However, they have a nasty reputation for blowing the front bottom silicone joint.

My question is this: If I got a piece of glass cut and siliconed it to the front, along the bottom, and to the back of the tank (inside the tank and later it would be covered in sand), would this provide any meaningful structural support? How thick do you think it would need to be to provide meaningful support?

I contacted customer support and was told the lifetime warranty to replace the tank only applies to the original owner, so I'm not worried about voiding that.

Thoughts would be appreciated!

Unread 12/09/2017, 06:23 AM   #2
rgulrich
greybeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Tater View Post
I've seen a couple Marineland 300DD tanks for sale lately, and I really really like the dimensions. However, they have a nasty reputation for blowing the front bottom silicone joint.

My question is this: If I got a piece of glass cut and siliconed it to the front, along the bottom, and to the back of the tank (inside the tank and later it would be covered in sand), would this provide any meaningful structural support? How thick do you think it would need to be to provide meaningful support?

I contacted customer support and was told the lifetime warranty to replace the tank only applies to the original owner, so I'm not worried about voiding that.

Thoughts would be appreciated!
What you've described (if you take it a step further and put a couple strips along the sides as well) is what my custom built 100 had along the bottom (80's, Athens GR). Euro bracing done with glass. If you can get a 2" strip of 1/2" glass cleanly adhered, you'll provide a good compound joint. You would have to ensure it's as close to "new glass to glass", much like any of the seams, for it to be truly effective.
Hope this helps.
Cheerd, Ray

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 360 degree walk around 300 DD island–4 300W & 2 165W ViparSpectra, 4 Kessil A350W, 2 A360WE, 3 XF150, 1 XF250, 1 XF350 Gyre along with 2 PP40 and 2 IceCap 3K gyre for robust current. Basement 150 gallon RubberMaid sump, SKIMZ skimmer, DCP18000
rgulrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 09:32 PM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

If you google glasscages or coasttocoast tanks you will see that they do internal eurobracing along the bottom seams. I think it's a very good idea. I would think that you'd need to remove the internal fillet of silicone in order to get good adhesion.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2017, 10:31 PM   #4
Darth_Tater
Registered Member

Interesting. I looked at one this evening. I can get the tank and stand for cheap enough I'm far more interested than I should be. I'll have to look into this internal bracing.

Unread 12/13/2017, 04:31 PM   #5
CRreef
Registered Member

i just commenting randomly to get 10 post to send a pm to a friend please don't ban me

CRreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 12:35 AM   #6
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRreef View Post
i just commenting randomly to get 10 post to send a pm to a friend please don't ban me

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 06:59 AM   #7
EnderG60
Plumbing Engineer

Get a well made stand and you wont have issues.

You can add bracing but that involves cutting out the old silicon and resealing the tank with the new pieces.

Ive had my 300DD on a custom plywood stand for the past 10 years with zero issues, and I have honestly never heard of this issue with the 300DD's before and I know plenty of people who own them.

EnderG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 01:00 PM   #8
McPuff
Registered Member

I've got the 300DD and love it. I just made sure the tank is flush with the stand in all places. The stand is a beast, true, and level. I bought it used as well and got a great deal. Was a little nervous at first due to all the stories about blown seams but it's been over a year and now I never think about it.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 09:43 PM   #9
Darth_Tater
Registered Member

Are you using the Marineland stand?

Unread 12/15/2017, 08:49 AM   #10
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderG60 View Post
Get a well made stand and you wont have issues.

You can add bracing but that involves cutting out the old silicon and resealing the tank with the new pieces.

Ive had my 300DD on a custom plywood stand for the past 10 years with zero issues, and I have honestly never heard of this issue with the 300DD's before and I know plenty of people who own them.
Insert random search engine here and you will see several threads regarding 300DDs busting seams. I was going to purchase one a while back but after coming across a few threads on this portal the tank was quickly removed off my list. I love the dimensions and have seen a couple in person. Ended up going a different route in the end because, well, 300 gallons is a metric ton of water.

With regards to the OP I personally would pass on a 300DD especially used. On the other hand if you want to replace it the advise removing, cleaning, bottom euro brace, and reseal is probably the safest. Good luck either way - really nice dimensions on the tank otherwise.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote