Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/01/2014, 10:35 PM   #26
mikmikjg
Registered Member

Rubber will break down in salt water. If it is in your budget, grab some fish safe marine epoxy paint from pentair: http://pentairaes.com/plumbing-elect...oxy-paint.html

Use some Krylon fusion or just some acrylic paint to get the color and detail right then use the clear epoxy paint. Several coats of that and you should not have any worries!

I have used this method to make realistic rainforest-scapes in my amazon milk frog tanks with much success. Frogs are highly sensitive to any chemicals on their skin and in the air or water.

Current Tank Info: Just getting Re-Started (its been a while)
mikmikjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2014, 10:43 PM   #27
mikmikjg
Registered Member

Forgot to mention you can can seal the detail paint with a non toxic sealer called Shields All before adding the epoxy paint if you want extra protection. It is used in commercial zoos and aquariums to seal concrete and stone. Works well on many other surfaces including painted surfaces but this is only good if you use the epoxy paint on top!

http://www.hytechsales.com/prod50.html

Unread 04/01/2014, 10:59 PM   #28
mighties_keeper
Registered Member

Very unique project. Please include pictures when you finish.

mighties_keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2014, 11:40 AM   #29
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

mikmikjg you posted some good info, but I'm not clear on the order of the different sealers you mentioned.

Also, let me repeat again what I'm doing. I'm building the root with wire and foil. I'm sealing it with rubberized paint. This is an extra precaution/redundancy because the wire/foil/rubberized paint will be completely sealed in an epoxy sculpting medium that is non-toxic and aquarium safe-and very sturdy.

I'm very likely going to paint it once it cures, to get the color right. Given that, what do you suggest for paint and/or final/outside sealing layer?

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2014, 11:44 AM   #30
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

mighties_keeper, I look forward to posting pics as well! I may have some more construction stage pics soon. It is a tricky project, given my design and budget constraints. I'm getting there!

Unread 04/02/2014, 12:04 PM   #31
KafudaFish
Cyprinius carpio

I would just eat the cost of the project and start over without using metal and this clay for a build.

Instead I would use uv resistant pond foam or a marine cement and skip worrying about the color because what ever color you paint it will be covered up over time.

I would make the roots out of roughed up pvc pipe that I either used fittings or a heat gun to bend them to form the structure.

you could even make a loop with an external pump and have outlets in the roots.

It looks like a great project so good luck.

KafudaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2014, 05:17 PM   #32
karimwassef
Registered Member

Have you considered cement? You'll need a non metallic framework but then you can use concrete impregnated cloth as a paper mâché build. It's how I'm making my rock work with PVC pipe as the structure skeleton.

How expensive was the resin and hardner?

karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2014, 10:12 PM   #33
mikmikjg
Registered Member

Quote:
mikmikjg you posted some good info, but I'm not clear on the order of the different sealers you mentioned.
first detail paint (Krylon fusion or plain acrylic paint)
second ShieldsAll acrylic sealer
last of all Pentair clear epoxy paint

Not sure how much it matters what you use to build and shape the structure if you encase it in epoxy but I usually work with landscape expanding foam coated with polymer grout for texture. I have never had good luck using foam for completely submerged decor due to its buoyancy.
I have used just plain aquarium safe silicon for the final seal instead of the epoxy paint, it is much more cost effective but has a different look and texture. If you don't mind that you can put some latex gloves on and coat the entire structure with silicon - it is much cheaper than the epoxy paint.

Hope to see it as it progresses!

Current Tank Info: Just getting Re-Started (its been a while)
Unread 04/03/2014, 08:00 AM   #34
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Great, thanks mikmikjg! Yeah that epoxy paint is kinda pricey. It would make more sense if I was doing a lot of roots. Will consider the silicone.

Right now I'm focusing on just one of the roots, getting it coated with the rubberized paint and working on the attachment point. If all goes well with this one, I'll do the other ones, and then it'll be time to break out the two-part epoxy sculpting medium!

Slowly but surely I'm getting there! The key for me is to do a little work on it every day, so I don't get bogged down or discouraged.

Unread 04/05/2014, 04:45 PM   #35
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

More progress to report, and more pics!

The main trunk/root with new attachment points (male). 1 1/2" pvc glued in place.

Root with attachment point - female. I made this from a 1 1/2" pvc pipe cap. It's glued in place with pvc cement and sealed with silicone.

All 3 of the roots. Notice the covering? So, I wasn't satisfied with the rubberized paint seal on the foil-it was just too porous. So I went with universal solution to everything-duct tape! Yep, we're goin' low-tech!

As soon as all the glue and silicone dries, I'll be ready for the epoxy clay. Oh yeah…

Unread 04/06/2014, 09:47 PM   #36
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I've done the last phase of gluing and sealing. I just want to give it a 24 hour cure. Next up is the critical epoxy clay coating. I hope I have enough to do the whole job!

So far, I'm really happy with how it's looking. The roots have a nice natural shape, and with the epoxy coating and probably some paint, I'm hoping for a pretty realistic finished product.

Unread 04/06/2014, 10:29 PM   #37
sandyland
Registered Member

Following along.
really cool idea.
If you can't find it build it.

sandyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2014, 09:43 AM   #38
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Hey thanks, sandyland! I appreciate the positive comments.

As I said above, I'm getting close to finishing this thing. I'm very excited! And a little nervous. All the steps so far have been adjustable/redo-able, but the epoxy clay is the full-on commitment!

Either it works and I'm stoked or it doesn't, and I get to hear 'I told you sos' from all the people who posted that I should do it differently. Honestly, I'm feeling pretty confident.

Today's the day I commit to the clay! I'll post pics when I'm done.

Unread 04/07/2014, 10:25 AM   #39
Alavaster
Registered Member

Even with the epoxy clay sealing the foil and tape inside the root, I would still be nervous about those materials holding up over time. While its in nice sections have you considered making a mold and casting it in some sort of material like a resin? As an artist i've done a good bit of mold making and resin casting. If you make a cheap plaster mold, cast it in resin and then seal it in a marine safe epoxy the thing will be very very sturdy and will last forever. Plus you will have a mold to mass produce them.
Something like this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToIw2bTfoq8

Alavaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2014, 11:00 AM   #40
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yes, I considered the mold thing. My project is a bit complex already without making a sculpture, making a mold of the sculpture and then making the sculpture again. If my design constraints were simpler, it would make a lot more sense.

I enjoyed the video. Maybe, if all goes well, I'll consider making a mold of it if I need another one. But I hope to do one and done!

As much as I have enjoyed this project, I look forward to the next one. This is just part one of my Caribbean Biotope Seagrass Tank project.

The next phase is to transform the back wall of my tank into a mudbank, with lots of holes and caves, using recycled plastic bottles and pond foam. But that'll be another thread…

Unread 04/08/2014, 07:39 AM   #41
McPuff
Registered Member

It looks very cool. And great idea to go with duct tape! It's a miracle in itself. :0)

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2014, 10:54 AM   #42
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

This is a really neat project!

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2014, 11:46 AM   #43
clay12340
Registered Member

I think they're looking even better with a few more layers on them. It's going to look cool with the epoxy clay I'm sure. I'm excited to see how it works out for you. Epoxy clay sounds like it'd be interesting to work with for a rock wall instead of expanding foam.

Give us lots of pics of how the construction goes too.

clay12340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2014, 01:03 PM   #44
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Sugar Magnolia!

clay12340 thanks as well. I've posted some pics earlier in the thread to show earlier phases of construction. Did you see those? I'll post more when I make more progress. I did the first epoxy clay test yesterday, covering the top part of one root. It's hard as a rock today. I plan to get more done today-at least finish the first root. It looks like it's gonna be cutting it close on the clay amount. I hope I don't have to buy more, but I will if I have to.

By the way it's called Magic Sculpt (.com). If you're interested check it out. They've got a great FAQ page, and also numerous testimonials. I'll reserve judgement on it until I'm done, but it's looking good so far. Also, smooth-on(.com) is great for mold-making projects.

It would definitely work well for a fake rock wall, but not cost effective in my world. I'm on a pretty tight budget these days, which I think is how I ended up as a do-it-yourselfer!

From what I've read the pond foam doesn't expand as much as the 'great stuff', and the black color should be perfect for my 'mangrove mudbank' project. I don't anticipate having to paint it or cover it with sand, etc. I'll definitely start a new thread for that when I get this one done!

Unread 04/08/2014, 01:24 PM   #45
clay12340
Registered Member

Yeah I've looked at all the pics. I was talking about the magic sculpt phase. I find that DIY for me ends up costing far more than just buying it. Learning is a costly endeavor.

clay12340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2014, 07:20 PM   #46
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay12340 View Post
I find that DIY for me ends up costing far more than just buying it. Learning is a costly endeavor.
So true! The learning curve can be costly but builds like this help others learn from the mistakes. Kudos for taking this on!

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2014, 09:44 PM   #47
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I remember some guy writing about his experience growing his own vegetables. When he added everything up, his tomatoes cost hundreds each.

Hopefully that's not what's happening here.

Anyways, I've got some more pics with the epoxy clay application in progress:

First root in progress.

First root done and attached.

The roots won't be attached permanently. That way I can take it apart and get it in and out of my tank.

Sorry about the photo quality-old iphone and these were shot at night.

Coming along…

Yes, I hope I've inspired some you to try similar projects.

How would I do it differently if I did it again? It's a bit premature to say at this point, since I'm not done with it yet, but I'll let you know.

Last edited by Michael Hoaster; 04/08/2014 at 10:12 PM.
Unread 04/15/2014, 10:47 PM   #48
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

More Fake Mangrove Root Pics!

Getting there! I've got just a little more clay to add, then I will try a little sanding, and then the Paint and we're done!

Unread 04/16/2014, 01:04 AM   #49
Gorgok
Registered Member

Is that blinding white stuff snow? Isn't it summer already...? Is here at least =D.

Those look very nice though.

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2014, 07:09 AM   #50
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yes, it is snow. We got 10 inches of it the other day, here in Boulder. Spring here can be weird - snow one day, 70 and sunny the next!

I'm pretty happy with the look of them as well. I've just got a little more work to do, to smooth the transition from the main trunk to the 3 roots at the attachment points.

Maybe some sanding and then it's time to paint…

Tags
diy decorations, fake mangrove, mangrove