Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/11/2017, 09:53 PM   #1
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Growing your own fish food

Michael Langerman grows algae to feed his FW guppies, but this could be done in saltwater too...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MichaelLangerman-1-plain.jpg (22.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg MichaelLangerman-2.jpg (14.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg MichaelLangerman-3.jpg (16.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg MichaelLangerman-4.jpg (14.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg MichaelLangerman-5.jpg (21.3 KB, 36 views)
Unread 12/12/2017, 10:36 AM   #2
Devolver
Registered Member

ive been growing lettuce algae in my sump instead of chaeto. fish go crazy for it. I pluck it out of the sump and put in in a nori clip. seems to work great.

Only down fall is that I am not removing the phosphate or nitrate because the fish are eating it and pooping it back into the water...

Devolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 11:02 AM   #3
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devolver View Post
Only down fall is that I am not removing the phosphate or nitrate because the fish are eating it and pooping it back into the water...
That's not a downside unless you see it as one. Nature doesn't have feeding and nutrient export, it has a complete cycle like you do in your tank.

Think of it this way - that algae meal is offsetting some of the need for you to add more food to your tank, so in a sense it is helping by limiting the nutrient imports.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 01:57 PM   #4
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Quote:
not removing the phosphate or nitrate
You certainly are. The nitrogen and phosphorus are being kept in less of an inorganic state (nitrate, phosphate) and in more of an organic state (food, poop, fish tissue).

Unread 12/12/2017, 04:01 PM   #5
HBtank
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devolver View Post
ive been growing lettuce algae in my sump instead of chaeto. fish go crazy for it. I pluck it out of the sump and put in in a nori clip. seems to work great.

You are reducing the import side of the equation

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 10:07 AM   #6
Devolver
Registered Member

yes that is all true. I don't have much of an issue with nutrients at the moment but I could see a path down the road where I might need an algae scrubber as well

Devolver is offline   Reply With Quote