Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/16/2017, 02:49 AM   #1
Wagonpitt
Registered Member

Rock anemone huge

I just got 3 new rock anemones. I already had one. 2 out of the new ones get extremely big at night once all lights have been off a few hours. Has anyone else noticed this ? One of the new ones stays small closes up a little at night and opens during the day. Just like the one i already had.

Pic 2 the blue-er pic is durin the day when lights are on. The one with darker colors on very left stays "normal". The two on the right get 3 or 4 times bigger/puffier

Pic 1 is at night time. The rock anemone which is in the middle in pic 2 has puffed up so much it pushed the other one off the rack. The other one is on my sand also very puffed up.

Anyone noticed this before.? Like i said the rock anemone i already had and one of the 3 new ones are very "normal".

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0139.jpg (55.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0126.jpg (78.2 KB, 94 views)
Wagonpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2017, 05:01 PM   #2
Wagonpitt
Registered Member

So ive had them for a few days now and still same. During the day often the have open mouth. Sometimes i see like a black mucus floating ontop of the anemone. Ive read that this can be thier "guts". usually i only see this in the morning when lights first come on. They still inflate during night about 2 3 times normal size. The inflation is in the foot not so much the top open part where mouth is that we usually look at Lots of views on this thread but no comments yet. I highly doubt im discoving something new because im not special like that so someone has to have an idea of whats going on. On another hand it doesnt seem like rock flower anemones are very popular like bta or other anemones so maby thats why not many people have experienced it and the right people armt seeing the thread.

Unread 05/25/2017, 05:46 AM   #3
elegance coral
They call me EC

I don't see anything out of the ordinary in the pic's. They're probably just adjusting to the new lights. The "black mucus" is probably zooxanthellae.

Current Tank Info: I'm trying to see how many tanks will fit in my house before the wife loses it.
elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2017, 05:24 PM   #4
Pond Boy
Registered Member

It's just acclimating itself to your water nems expand and contract night or day depending on conditions.

Current Tank Info: JBJ 12g
Pond Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2017, 02:11 PM   #5
Wagonpitt
Registered Member

How do i know when its dying and when its time to take it out of the tank ? 2 of them are not improvig at all and only looking worse.

1 of the new ones never looks too happy but not as bad as these 2.

The 1 one i had befor i got these 3 is always happy fully open never gaping mouth never any mucus just little poop pellet once in a while.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0163.jpg (71.9 KB, 18 views)