Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/31/2016, 07:04 AM   #1
thelawnwrangler
Registered Member

Would a Cone snail kill a tiger conch?

I lost 2 tiger conch this week. I haven't been adding algae to feed should I be?

I am usually very careful about research and what I add to my reef, but I though a snail what could go wrong. The LFS kind of said this might kill another snail, but I can't remember if they call it a cone snail. I will attach a picture of what it looks like.

Attached Images
File Type: png Cone snail.PNG (56.2 KB, 35 views)
thelawnwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2016, 12:10 PM   #2
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

After you find out more about cone snails, maybe you'll be more inclined to do the research first.

There are a variety of cones throughout the world, some 600+ versions and all are venomous. Some are mild, like a bee sting and a few are strong enough to cause death in a human. I'd remove it and be careful handling it until or unless you know specifically which species it is and how dangerous it might be to even a human. I'd consider using some kind of tongs or other device that keeps you away from the shell. It may be almost harmless, but then again...

I've seen, and picked up, one cone snail here in Florida. The animal inside was very cool. I didn't know about them at the time and now when I see a cone shell that I think is empty, I'm still very, very careful about how I deal with it. We do collect them because our Halloween Hermit crab uses cone shells for his home. Over the last 6 or 7 years it's grown and we give it bigger and bigger Cone shells to use.

http://www.wild-facts.com/2013/marbled-cone-snail/

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/wilde...article_em.htm

http://www.marinelifephotography.com...ones/cones.htm

Unread 10/31/2016, 04:04 PM   #3
dendrite
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
After you find out more about cone snails, maybe you'll be more inclined to do the research first.

There are a variety of cones throughout the world, some 600+ versions and all are venomous. Some are mild, like a bee sting and a few are strong enough to cause death in a human. I'd remove it and be careful handling it until or unless you know specifically which species it is and how dangerous it might be to even a human. I'd consider using some kind of tongs or other device that keeps you away from the shell. It may be almost harmless, but then again...

I've seen, and picked up, one cone snail here in Florida. The animal inside was very cool. I didn't know about them at the time and now when I see a cone shell that I think is empty, I'm still very, very careful about how I deal with it. We do collect them because our Halloween Hermit crab uses cone shells for his home. Over the last 6 or 7 years it's grown and we give it bigger and bigger Cone shells to use.

http://www.wild-facts.com/2013/marbled-cone-snail/

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/wilde...article_em.htm

http://www.marinelifephotography.com...ones/cones.htm
amen! micro liter for micro liter some of the most toxic venom in the animal kingdom

dendrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2016, 07:07 PM   #4
pagojoe
Team RC Member

Strombus luhuanus can look a lot like Conus tessulatus at a glance, but there are some easy distinguishing characteristics. The "Tiger Conch" has the strombid notch near the anterior tip of the shell, and typical conch eyes, with the dark pupil. The lip expands somewhat and is not parallel to the rest of the shell. The Conus shell has a lip that is parallel with the rest of the shell. This cone is not dangerous, though. It's a worm eater.

pagojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2016, 07:12 PM   #5
pagojoe
Team RC Member

...and no, I've never known of a Cone Snail killing a conch. I've watched them eat a lot of other stuff, though. What I have seen kill conchs repeatedly are Olive Snails. They have a pouch that looks like a slit on the bottom of the foot, and will engulf a conch snail and suffocate it. Chances are better that is what's in your tank, if you actually have something killing your conchs.

Unread 11/01/2016, 06:19 AM   #6
thelawnwrangler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagojoe View Post
...and no, I've never known of a Cone Snail killing a conch. I've watched them eat a lot of other stuff, though. What I have seen kill conchs repeatedly are Olive Snails. They have a pouch that looks like a slit on the bottom of the foot, and will engulf a conch snail and suffocate it. Chances are better that is what's in your tank, if you actually have something killing your conchs.
I am starting to fear I might have starved them- can I supplement feed the conch?

The snail I have that might be a cone snail was probably attracted by rotting conch

Unread 11/01/2016, 03:02 PM   #7
pagojoe
Team RC Member

Dunno, olives will both kill them and scavenge them after they are rotting. Cone snails won't scavenge, and don't leave any meat in the shell to rot after they finish extracting the animal. Does your snail of interest look like this?

http://www.gastropods.com/7/Shell_177.shtml

Unread 04/14/2017, 03:02 AM   #8
sadra
Registered Member

hi there
do you know how can i buy a cone snail?

sadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2017, 07:55 AM   #9
thelawnwrangler
Registered Member

No - I am thinking mine might just be a cowire

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Unread 04/15/2017, 07:35 PM   #10
SantaMonica
Registered Member

You would think the lfs would know about things like cones.

Unread 05/12/2017, 03:09 PM   #11
LJC6780
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadra View Post
hi there
do you know how can i buy a cone snail?

Why do you want a cone snail?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJC6780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2017, 05:27 PM   #12
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJC6780 View Post
Why do you want a cone snail?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To eat damn oenone fulgida worms. If that's what they do anyway...

Puffer, octopus, and mantis shrimp fanatic!
Hadla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2017, 10:19 PM   #13
pagojoe
Team RC Member

Conus vexillum eats them. Conus imperialis will eat the smaller bristle worms, but I'm not sure they could eat O. fulgida (probably could eat small ones). Conus vexillum grows to over 7.5 inches (almost 200mm).

http://www.gastropods.com/5/Shell_765.shtml

Unread 05/12/2017, 10:24 PM   #14
pagojoe
Team RC Member

As for local fish stores, they probably know less than you do about cone snails.

Unread 05/13/2017, 06:14 PM   #15
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

Ok so I should go with a vexillum for fulgida worms? Someone else told me c regius

Unread 05/14/2017, 03:09 AM   #16
pagojoe
Team RC Member

Well, the difference in C. regius (the Atlantic counterpart to C. imperialis) and C. vexillum is how big the prey can be. C. regius and imperialis are limited to fairly small polychaetes, probably including juvenile or small Oenone and related species. That, and the fact that C. regius are more readily available, while the Pacific species might not be. Conus vexillum is not at all rare, however, and should be available from an Indo-Pacific wholesaler to most local stores. A big C. vexillum (adults average 4 to 5 inches) can eat an eunicid that is over half an inch in diameter, maybe 20mm. That's not as big as they get, but it's still a pretty big worm.

Unread 05/14/2017, 07:36 AM   #17
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

Wow, yeah the ones I've seen are only ever about half a cm in diameter or smaller! Thanks so much! You've given me hope

Will definitely invest in the smallest I can find so I'll be able to keep it for many years!