Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/16/2017, 06:56 AM   #1
mechman_22
Registered Member

HOB filter for manits

most of the tanks I had were drilled or had a false wall to hide the filter/cleaning stuff, how many of you run HOB filters instead of sumps? do you run oversized HOB filter to help keep everything clean?

mechman_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2017, 09:38 AM   #2
mechman_22
Registered Member

anyone?

Unread 05/18/2017, 03:19 PM   #3
Mr. Manty
Registered Member

Its not about size. It is not difficult to get a strong cycle on a tank as so much of the bacteria lives on the liverock and sand anyway.

Nitrates are nitrates, and food will break down into nitrates whether they get sucked into the filter or it breaks down on the sand. Just rinse the filter regularly with tank water and you should be golden.

You should have a powerhead for oxygen and I would certainly recommend a protein skimmer for any of the more sensitive mantis

Mr. Manty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2017, 08:58 PM   #4
mechman_22
Registered Member

most of my reef tanks have been drilled and last two mantis tanks were 29biocubes just always heard bad stuff about hob filters like they are nitrate farms but i have never used them so really have no idea. was thinking of getting a 40gal and setting up a peacock tank again and thought about getting a hob for like a 75gal to extra clean, instead of drilling it.

Unread 05/18/2017, 10:02 PM   #5
nmotz
Registered Member

I would definitely opt for a HOB protein skimmer over an HOB filter, especially for a Peacock. Big difference in water quality IMO.

Current Tank Info: 20L Peacock mantis shrimp tank
nmotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2017, 06:27 AM   #6
Mr. Manty
Registered Member

Well HOB filters do not concern themselves with nitrate removal period. It is really just a filter pad to facilitate the nitrogen cycle.

One really nice thing about an HOB filter is that you can easily remove the filter every 3 days or so and give it a good rinse! This will significantly reduce nitrate production. They collect a lot of gunk for you in one convenient place that you can easily access.

But if you are going for a peacock or god forbid, a Havanensis, get a SKIMMER. Those guys are sensitive.

Unread 05/19/2017, 06:28 AM   #7
Mr. Manty
Registered Member

But like nMotz said: Skimmer over HOB filter any day.

Unread 05/19/2017, 07:58 AM   #8
mechman_22
Registered Member

Didn't even think of the HOB skimmers lol get I was over thinking the damn HOB filter lol. well I anyone have any good reviews for HOB skimmers, been couple years anything new and approved come out I should know about

Unread 05/19/2017, 08:38 AM   #9
nmotz
Registered Member

People seem to have good luck with the Reef Octopus BH-1000 and aquamaxx HOB skimmers. Really depends on what size tank you have. Not too terribly many upgrades are possible for a device as simple as a skimmer. You just need a good pump and preferably a large enough body for good mixing of air/water (i.e. smaller skimmers aren't usually as effective as larger models).

Current Tank Info: 20L Peacock mantis shrimp tank
nmotz is offline   Reply With Quote