Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

View Poll Results: How would you keep my lighting affordable yet effective?
MH and T5 combo 29 61.70%
keep power compacts add retro T5 7 14.89%
keep power compacts add retro MH 11 23.40%
add another power compact unit 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2013, 07:05 AM   #276
firebirdude
User and Abuser

Good luck with the hair algae. It's probably the number one nuisance that causes people to leave the hobby. Can be pretty tough to battle. But remember your faults of last time. Don't go crazy trying to kill it by constantly tinkering with your tank. Do your research and keep additions/changes slow. Post up updated pics!

firebirdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 08:29 PM   #277
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderreef View Post
Just read through this entire thread. I think I remember it from when you started it back in 2010. Anyhow, I was blown away when you changed your aquascaping from the original pile of rocks to the true pillars! In my opinion, that made all the difference in the beauty of your tank. It really makes the column tank look like a column tank. Glad you have not lost intrest. Now, we all need to see some updated pix!! BTW, if you need to remove some corals because you have too much in your tank, I'm sure my 6'er would make a great home for some. Just a thought.
Borderreef,

thanks for the feedback. I agree changing the aquascaping made a world of difference. My camera isn't working so I havent been able to figure out how to fix it to post pics but will very soon.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon blue line rimless tank
reeftanknewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 08:32 PM   #278
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdude View Post
Good luck with the hair algae. It's probably the number one nuisance that causes people to leave the hobby. Can be pretty tough to battle. But remember your faults of last time. Don't go crazy trying to kill it by constantly tinkering with your tank. Do your research and keep additions/changes slow. Post up updated pics!
Firebirdude,

I agree but I have learned to be patient and not worry too much. HA has been growing in my tank since October so as you can see I am learning from my past mistakes (LMAO). As soon as I can get my camera fixed I will post pics. thanks for following my thread and for the great feedback.

Unread 07/12/2013, 04:17 AM   #279
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderreef View Post
Just read through this entire thread. I think I remember it from when you started it back in 2010. Anyhow, I was blown away when you changed your aquascaping from the original pile of rocks to the true pillars! In my opinion, that made all the difference in the beauty of your tank. It really makes the column tank look like a column tank. Glad you have not lost intrest. Now, we all need to see some updated pix!! BTW, if you need to remove some corals because you have too much in your tank, I'm sure my 6'er would make a great home for some. Just a thought.
Thanks for the good feedback and sorry for my slow response as I have been very busy with life stuff. I agree opening up the rock work made a difference and improved not only the look but flow of the tank. My camera is dead and I don't know how to upload pics from my smart phone yet so pics are on hold sorry everyone. Unless their is a teacher amongst us who can teach this tech noob something.

Unread 07/12/2013, 04:18 AM   #280
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Coming soon....big changes and an upgrade maybe.....

Unread 09/18/2019, 04:41 AM   #281
johnmuller
Registered Member

Thanks; me too.....Some of the corals are getting great growth now (finally) since I have been able to control the algae growth. I can't take credit for the idea on the hanging bar. I made the hanging bar myself by purchasing 1/2" conduit and bending it with a tubing bender. I was so easy to do. This was an idea I found here:

http://fishsubsidy.org/55-gallon-fish-tank/

johnmuller is offline   Reply With Quote