Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/26/2018, 06:30 AM   #1
dmsprague
Registered Member

New coral recommendation

Hello all. I'm trying to decide on a new coral and haven't had any luck finding anything local. I would like something somewhat colorful that will get kind of tall and bushy not just cover the rock. Placement will be about 1/2 way up a 28" deep tank under black box LED with SBreef upgrade board in a moderate to high flow area Any suggestions?

dmsprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2018, 06:34 AM   #2
dmsprague
Registered Member

I would like to place it up on the rock shown here above and to the left of the green mushrooms as kind of a focal point.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Unread 09/26/2018, 11:21 AM   #3
Dsekula
Registered Member

I personally like euphyllia coral for this type of spot, espically judging the other coral in the tank. There are many colors and growth patterns to choose from and most are relatively hearty (about comparable to the bubble coral pictured Ime).
The other potentially more challenging choice I'd like is a branching acro or maybe another sps piece like a birds nest.
There are tons of pieces that could potentially grow well here so it will be a function of personal preference but those are some of the pieces I'd personally consider.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2018, 02:41 PM   #4
ThePurple12
Registered Member

I think an acro colony would look great there

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2018, 05:26 PM   #5
dmsprague
Registered Member

Thanks for the input. It's tough decision. This is is a full tank shot. Nothing spectacular but we enjoy it. It's 6ft tank and the way its divided I really want a really nice coral on that rock to draw attention. The nems have been kind enough to stay on the opposite end for over a year so it's kind of divided with nems on one end and corals on the other and the sand bed.

Unread 09/26/2018, 05:40 PM   #6
IonicBond
Registered Member

The duncans seem happy, I would definitely put a Torch there if it were my tank. It will inhabit a lot of that negative space and put a dynamic motion in the middle zone.

IonicBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2018, 05:48 PM   #7
Dsekula
Registered Member

An Aussie gold torch would look cool if you could find one in an acceptable price range. That would give some nice color contrast and be more of a center piece type piece. If you want to pm me I'll share where I got mine online, they do some decent blackfriday sales and I've gotten good customer service and clean coral from Them.

Unread 09/27/2018, 06:56 AM   #8
dmsprague
Registered Member

Thanks for the input. I really like the Aussie Gold Torch from images I found. They are expensive but most nice items are in this hobby. My wife about had a stroke when I paid $60 for a single live rock lol. I tried a torch once but it withered away and died. That was quite a while back though and the tank is much more established now. I'm thinking of looking for a healthy specimen locally that isn't too expensive and if it goes well then maybe pony up for a Aussie Gold if I can find one. Maybe put it on my xmas list.

Unread 09/27/2018, 03:34 PM   #9
Dsekula
Registered Member

Here's my gold, it's under just the whites on my bb LEDs in the pic. It's as close to true color as I can manage.the one in front of it is a "neon torch" which is also cool, I also like the "black or midnight torches" (their just really dark not auctually black
But given your current stock I personally think the gold would stand out the most as a centerpiece type coral.KIMG0943.jpg

Unread 09/27/2018, 03:36 PM   #10
Dsekula
Registered Member

The other one on my list of wants is the gold hammer that live aquaria sells in their ccgc section.

Unread 09/28/2018, 10:49 AM   #11
dmsprague
Registered Member

Thanks the image.

Unread 09/28/2018, 10:59 AM   #12
Dsekula
Registered Member

No problem, when I turn on the blues the gold hue is much more vibrant but that will obviously change depending on your individual lights so I wanted to give you the closest true to life idea of what to expect if you got one. It's certainly not what some of the photoshopped images would lead you to believe but imo a nice addition to the average ref tank.