Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/14/2015, 05:01 AM   #1
rygar
Registered Member

750 gallon glass tank

I ended up getting a 750 Miracles glass tank. 10 x 4 x 2'6. Will be here in 6 days. Was planning a shallow reef, had all kinds of ideas, but changed my mind...again...for about the 10th time. It weighs just under 1200lbs according to an on line calculator. My brother in law has a pettibone that will lift it off the truck and into the garage where it will sit on a stand with the face in the wall to the den. Problem is the arm of the pettibone can't go far enough into the garage to put it on the stand. It can only set it just inside the garage. The stand is about 5' away.
Looking for ideas, pictures, videos on how you big tank guys got your tanks in place.

rygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2015, 06:30 AM   #2
ATT
Registered Member

My 215g custom tank was 600lbs empty, we built a temporary stand with casters on the bottom. Rolled the tank across the room on the stand and then 6 of us lifted it I to place. We could have just carried it 10ft to its new home but my tank is rimless cube and I didn't want any trying to grab it from the top of the glass.

ATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2015, 06:49 AM   #3
tom obrecht
Registered Member

If you have to manhandle it in with people rent suction cups so everyone has a easy place to grab. They will make it much easier to handle this beast.

Unread 03/14/2015, 11:29 AM   #4
DNA
Registered Member

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/Ea...zcjkx.jpg.html

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2015, 11:47 AM   #5
dave.m
Registered Member

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2015, 03:10 PM   #6
rygar
Registered Member

Thanks guys. 2 of those lifts would be perfect. Gonna stop at the local rental companies on Monday to try to track some down. They probably have those suction cups too.

Unread 03/30/2015, 04:49 PM   #7
rygar
Registered Member

The tank is in. Went really well with a my brother in law's pettibone to get it off the semi, and 4 hydrolic rolling carts to wheel it in place. Took 8 guys to slide it on the stand.
But....it is a used glass tank so I'd like to add more to the existing eurobracing.
It is completely open in the center. This makes me nervous. Would like to add a cross brace. What are your recommendations? And with what type of silicone? I'd also like to run an additional 4" x 48" piece of glass directly on top of the existing eurobracing on each side of the top. The only difference is this piece would overlap the seam and go completely from front to back. The factory bracing goes completely across lengthwise with front to back bracing butting into that.
Thoughts?

Unread 03/30/2015, 10:11 PM   #8
NanoReefWanabe
Registered Member

miracles knows their poop…if they built it like that i am sure it is fine…if the previous owner removed or broke anything i would certainly replace it…

how thick is the glass? and how many cross braces does it have?

i assume the existing eurobrace is 4" wide?

PS: none of this happened without pics..

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2015, 06:14 PM   #9
WrassePains
Registered Member

Any updates on the tank?

WrassePains is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2015, 06:07 AM   #10
rygar
Registered Member

Nothing much with the tank. Just getting the fish room ready. Its being divided into a couple of rooms so I can hide the mixing barrels, holding tank, and all the supplies. The electrician is coming this week and hopefully within a month or two, I can find a drywaller who can make the time to drywall and finish it. But around here, houses are going up like mad and getting a drywaller is next to impossible unless your a builder.

Does anyone on this site run large tanks like this with Metal Halides? Looked into LED's, but spending 10,000 just wasn't in the cards. I found 3 coralvue 400 watt dimmable ballasts with 6 month old bulbs, the large reflectors for 225 bucks. They are the newer style. Plus I already had one setup like them and he threw in another 400 watt ballast for free.

Picked up 120 pounds of the fake handmade purple Fiji live rock to get started and am "cooking" another 100 pounds of standard live rock now. Planning on 2 or 300 more pounds of fake rock.

Not running a large main pump. Don't think its necessary, but will be using MP 60's. Maybe I'll try a couple of those new maxspec gyre pumps too.

Not running a large skimmer either. Just a bubbleking 250 supermarin that I used on my 600. Bioload will be small with a lot of open space.

There will be a standard sump under the tank for the skimmer, reactors, all that messy stuff... A "pond" for the deep sand bed, caulerpa, and mangroves will be in the open area of the fish room. This will be on basically a lone system with its own small pump from the sump. Will most likely use a maxspec gyre pump for this. Some fish and inverts will also probably be in there too. Maybe some lower light corals too. The size layed out on the floor is 4' x 6' and planning on it being shallow...maybe 16".

Brother in law is a heating and cooling guy and will be working with me on managing the evaporation.

Thats about it for now. Its moving along, just really slowly.

Last edited by rygar; 08/16/2015 at 06:23 AM.
Unread 08/18/2015, 12:41 AM   #11
WrassePains
Registered Member

Nice, glad to hear things are moving along. Keep us posted on progress... sounds like you've got some cool plans.

WrassePains is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2015, 04:51 PM   #12
boogie01
Registered Member

Love the tank, interested to see what you choose for lighting.

boogie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2015, 05:12 PM   #13
rygar
Registered Member

Thanks, I used to know how to post pictures. I really should put some on here so you guys can see what Im doing in the fish room. The tank pictured isn't mine.
I'll ask my kids to help me out with some pictures.

Unread 08/18/2015, 06:28 PM   #14
dave.m
Registered Member

Upload your images to a dedicated on-line image service like Photobucket, Flickr, etc. Copy the Direct URL for your image on that service.

Then come back here to RC. In the RC Editor you will see a yellow icon of a mountain.

Click the yellow icon and a box appears. Paste the Direct URL of your image into the box. Save.

Dave.M

Unread 08/19/2015, 01:30 PM   #15
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Can't wait to see the pictures

Main reason we went with acrylic was getting it in the house... still was a beast with 1" acrylic.

Now I wish we did starphire haha... ended up doing starphire on our frag tank.

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2015, 05:26 PM   #16
rygar
Registered Member

In a way I wish it was acrylic. I am super nervous about the tank springing a leak. Never even gave it a thought with my acrylic tank. Do you have a tank thread?

Unread 08/20/2015, 01:09 PM   #17
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygar View Post
In a way I wish it was acrylic. I am super nervous about the tank springing a leak. Never even gave it a thought with my acrylic tank. Do you have a tank thread?
Good point, also a bit nervous with long spans of glass.

Here's my build thread

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2386255

Unread 08/20/2015, 07:55 PM   #18
rygar
Registered Member

Just checked it out....AWESOME

Unread 08/21/2015, 09:05 AM   #19
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygar View Post
Just checked it out....AWESOME
Thanks

Unread 08/21/2015, 09:26 PM   #20
rygar
Registered Member

having a rough time figuring out how to get my rockwork done. Can't find what I need. Marco Rocks doesn't have their mortar anymore. I gave up trying to get ahold of them. Don't return my call or email. Then read I can use quickrete Portland cement #1. went to get it and can only find 1/2....not just 1. Something so simple has become a bigtime obstacle. How do these guys do it...and seemingly so easily. Like they just run out to the store... a store that has everything they need and presto...all done.
So right now, Im completely stuck.
I've had the tank for over 5 months now. That's too long to be staring at an empty tank.
Oh...and I couldn't find the mr. Wilson thread. someone told me about on the DIY section. I also looked up reef ceramics. It just brought me back to reef central.
Also spent hours trying to figure out how to get pictures from my phone to photobucket, and from my phone to my email, then to photobucket. No luck there either. And the kids couldn't figure it out either.
Just not having good luck lately. Feeling a little beaten down.

Unread 08/21/2015, 09:46 PM   #21
dave.m
Registered Member

Mr. Wilson has, in the past, recommended "BASF Emaco S88ci waterproof marine grade cement that is protected against sulphide attack. Microsilica as a 10% admix will help make it more sculptable, cure faster, pH balanced, stickier and stronger without shrinkage cracks."

HTH

Dave.M

Unread 08/24/2015, 02:05 PM   #22
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Was able to get a fairly decent scape without using any rods or mortar.

The Marco Rock, especially after being acid bathed is very sharp and stacks together very well.

Almost two years later and nothing has moved.

Unread 08/30/2015, 06:53 PM   #23
rygar
Registered Member

[IMG][/IMG]Attempting to get some pictures posted. This one is when it was unloaded 5 months ago.

Last edited by rygar; 08/30/2015 at 07:04 PM.
Unread 08/30/2015, 07:15 PM   #24
rygar
Registered Member

[IMG][/IMG]

This one shows how close the boom was from the top of the garage.

Unread 08/31/2015, 09:49 PM   #25
Raul R Badillo
Registered Member

amazing tank. I am jealous lol.

Raul R Badillo is offline   Reply With Quote