Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/25/2015, 01:05 AM   #1051
Reefocd
Registered Member

Coral Tank from Canada (1350gal Display Tank) - split

Peter, it's been said, grown men don't cry. I got to the third or fourth full page of your March 11th update and must say a few tears were shed.... Your writing style is very effective at putting the reader in the room as you came upon this very sad sight. From your wife thinking intruders to you standing in front of the tank trying to reconcile what you're seeing to then implementing the disaster plan, heavy stuff... Thanks for sharing this event, as it should get the attention of aquarists at all skill levels. This can happen to any and all of us I for one, will be reviewing my redundancy and disaster plans, some of which do not currently exist Finally, of course, you should rebuild the reef, what else you going to do, raise pachyderms ....

Reefocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2015, 11:47 AM   #1052
nineball
Registered Member

Brief Update...........

When I started to document this journey on Reef Central I was very much a novice and came searching for answers from a knowledgeable caring community. I went out of my way from the very beginning to cultivate a positive culture free from obnoxious behaviours that all too often frequent typical forum conversations.

I am still grieving the loss of our aquarium and trying to adjust to a massive change in circumstance after 5 years of discipline and routine. I have decided to find a fresh starting point by doing a bunch of things that have to be done in the short run.

Before I try and figure out what I'm doing next I have to comment on each and every member of this community that has commented or read this journal from the sidelines. Not one, not one single inappropriate word or phrase has appeared in this thread through the whole lifespan.

What a wonderful testament to just how good this internet culture can be. You can all take a bow. You have all contributed to an experience that is an example of just how high the bar has been set by people from all stations in life from global cultures as diverse as it gets in pursuit of a shared passion for nature and a healthy ecology. The world is a better place for all your contributions and I am very proud to be associated with each and every member of this forum community.

Mr. Wilson, the brothers Grimm and I have been 'cleaning up' from this disaster and even learning from it in spite of the pain of it all. We are removing virtually everything associated with the system for the time being. We have found good homes for all the animals we were able to save. I need a bit of time and space before I make a final decision on whether to embark on Peters Fish Tank 2.0 or call it a day.

If the decision is to continue the journey then I will be looking to this community to participate in the planning of the new venture from imagineering the new environment to helping to select the right equipment and to continue the search for the best practices for the hobby.

For the moment however I just want to say Thank You, Thank you for the wonderful support, Thank You for keeping this community and culture so exceptionally mature and thank you for taking the time to express your support. Judy and I read each and every comment and we thank you for your understanding.

Peter

Current Tank Info: SW mixed reef 1350 gal in progress
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2015, 12:04 PM   #1053
ERivera65
Registered Member

I am terribly sorry to hear about all the troubles, Peter. In spite of all that has happened, I'm glad to see you and your crew have done the best you can and move forward. I couldn't imagine going through all that has happened. I hope and pray for the best for you and the guys. Hopefully you will continue and make a better system since all the experiences and knowledge you have gained will contribute to nothing but a better system. Best wishes on your journey and I hope you will get some reimbursement for the damages caused by the tank failure although the horrible feelings cannot be taken away. I know you were trying to keep the system environment stable and up to par for all your critters and I am sure better things will come your ways for sure. Best wishes and lots of luck. From: Erwin in Miami, FL.

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon mixed reef
ERivera65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2015, 01:17 PM   #1054
am.gee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
When I started to document this journey on Reef Central I was very much a novice and came searching for answers from a knowledgeable caring community. I went out of my way from the very beginning to cultivate a positive culture free from obnoxious behaviours that all too often frequent typical forum conversations.

I am still grieving the loss of our aquarium and trying to adjust to a massive change in circumstance after 5 years of discipline and routine. I have decided to find a fresh starting point by doing a bunch of things that have to be done in the short run.

Before I try and figure out what I'm doing next I have to comment on each and every member of this community that has commented or read this journal from the sidelines. Not one, not one single inappropriate word or phrase has appeared in this thread through the whole lifespan.

What a wonderful testament to just how good this internet culture can be. You can all take a bow. You have all contributed to an experience that is an example of just how high the bar has been set by people from all stations in life from global cultures as diverse as it gets in pursuit of a shared passion for nature and a healthy ecology. The world is a better place for all your contributions and I am very proud to be associated with each and every member of this forum community.

Mr. Wilson, the brothers Grimm and I have been 'cleaning up' from this disaster and even learning from it in spite of the pain of it all. We are removing virtually everything associated with the system for the time being. We have found good homes for all the animals we were able to save. I need a bit of time and space before I make a final decision on whether to embark on Peters Fish Tank 2.0 or call it a day.

If the decision is to continue the journey then I will be looking to this community to participate in the planning of the new venture from imagineering the new environment to helping to select the right equipment and to continue the search for the best practices for the hobby.

For the moment however I just want to say Thank You, Thank you for the wonderful support, Thank You for keeping this community and culture so exceptionally mature and thank you for taking the time to express your support. Judy and I read each and every comment and we thank you for your understanding.

Peter
Peter,
the thing is, that we all have to thank you for your contributions to this hobby. i have learned so many things from you, even though i am in the hobby for more then 17 years now.
once there was a time when i had to break down a former tank because of a massive algae outbreak. i was really thinking about to stop it completely and not to start the tank again. but after 3 months i started to miss something, i realized, that i cannot live without a reef tank and so i started again.
i was really shocked to read about your disaster and my feelings are with you!
all i can hope now is, that you come back, stronger then before!
as i live in germany the real bad thing is, i can only help you with some words

so far, Peter and Mr. Wilson, take your time and then come back

Michael, near by Berlin in Germany.

Current Tank Info: 520g sps dominated with giant diy led with real time weather
am.gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 04:15 PM   #1055
Kipps
Registered Member

Peter,

I have been a faithful follower of your project from the outset. The experience, following this exceptional collaborative enterprise has certainly had its ups and downs, with plenty of drama, humor, and interest. You mantra of "best practices" is a concept that I have instituted in my company with fantastic results.

We have all learnt so much and are grateful for you and your team taking your time to share your experiences with us. Best Practices has shown the need for publishing your experiences in a future reference manual on how to do things right.

I am sure the "drama" still has a part to play, but I would like to thank you and your team for sharing this wonderful experience with us all.

We salute you...

Rodd Kippen
Seattle

Kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 09:28 PM   #1056
nighthawk26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_CoupleClowns View Post
IMO if your "insured", the insurance company works for you. You are paying for their service. If they will not cover another tank in the home, the first thing that needs to be done is find another insurance company that will be able to take care of your specific situation and give you the coverage you need and are paying good money for.
I'm very new here, but I had found this thread months ago while researching for my 180G build which to me is pretty big. I have had NIGHTMARES just thinking of a leak, so I cannot possibly imagine how Peter is feeling.

I can say I called my insurance company to see if there was additional coverage needed for something like this, and what was or was not covered. They did take the time to talk to their underwriters, and days later called back saying all was covered in terms of damage caused by a failure like this, but with some exceptions. A manufacture defect would not cover the tank, and any damage caused to the house would be, BUT the contents of the tank would fall under "pets", and the max coverage there was $2000. Again, a mere pittance for Peter with this collection. I should note, I'm also in Canada like Peter and there could be different insurance regulations here.

I believe Mr.Wilson commented that the company would not unsure a tank by the SAME manufacturer again.

Again Peter, I'm truly sorry. I oddly heard of this when I made the trip from Kitchener Waterloo to Aquatic Kingdom to look at some fish and when we talked about live rock he brought me over to a tank and explained they had some rock from a 1300G+ tank that had failed in Oakville. My stomach dropped as I knew exactly who it was.

All the best!

nighthawk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2015, 10:21 PM   #1057
icedizzle
Registered Member

I remember reading this thread when you first started. It has been an absolute pleasure to see your project grow from a vision to an amazing reality. While I am devastated for your loss, I think the only true tragedy in this situation would be if you didn't use all the invaluable lessons you've learned to start again.

I look forward to seeing the 2.0 version of your tank!

icedizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2015, 06:32 AM   #1058
cromag08
Moved On

Joined the forum just to comment on this thread (i see others have too!). this is so tragic, but I am happy to see so many people showing support and solidarity during this event. there are good people out there and we should stick by each other.

cromag08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2015, 07:39 AM   #1059
tjsailosullivan
Registered Member

Peter,
Your tank was an absolute inspiration to me and words cannot say enough. I hope that you will continue your passion. We all will be looking forward to your future plans. Keep your head up as you have contributed so much to this community.

Tim

tjsailosullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2015, 11:26 AM   #1060
AkoAung
aka -iDestroya-

Hi Nineball,

This sucks eh? really sucks. Have to tell you that your tank certainly was an inspiration to me and a whole host of local hobbyists. We were all rooting for you and watched your videos. And we very much looked forward to the growth and maturity of your tank. Thank you for sharing your journey.

In the short time I've been involved in this hobby, I've observed that big setbacks seem to be very much a part of this hobby. Almost an inevitability. Something does go wrong at some point because we are trying to replicate perhaps the least understood part of our world.

I support your decision to take time away from the hobby and refresh your spirits. As devastating as the tank's failure was, the beauty and happiness it contributed to you and many others who followed its journey over the years surely exceeds that many fold. That is pretty neat.

regards,
Aung

AkoAung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2015, 06:03 PM   #1061
jestronix
Registered Member

Nineball, thank you for sharing your journey over the years, i have followed with keen interest and is part of the reason i have a reef tank 8 years later This morning i sat down in front of my tank, looked in and thought man I feel for Nineball, i looked in at the little ecosystem and happy fish and appreciated it that little bit more. Realizing, nineballs tank can never die, too many backup tanks through inspiration around the net Take a hard earned break and know you have a **** load of followers just waiting to see your return. I love your idea about getting ideas from the community for the next tank.

jestronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2015, 06:34 PM   #1062
Flippers4pups
Home made abyss

Peter, thank you from our hearts, your passion and undeniable dedication to this life we call "hobby". Your spirit and drive live within us all here and share in your grief, as if it happened to us.

I've always said "you can take the water out of the salt, but the salt will always be in the blood".

Flippers4pups is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2015, 09:45 AM   #1063
MrRBW
Registered Member

Peter and your team - So sorry to hear for your losses. I can't even imagine. I lose my mind when even the slightest of marine life dies in my tank, let alone such an amazing and varied collection of marine life that you guys faced. Your tank came up in a discussion in one of my lfs in Montreal and we all stated that your practices and system development are one of the gold standards. You have learned a lot during your last 5 years but you have had the incredible ability to share it with everyone around the world improving yourself as well as everyone else in this amazing hobby. I must commend you on handling such a disaster with poise and grace. Not sure if I would have been able to be so calm about everything. Keep your chin up and be sure that whichever decision you make in regards to a fresh start or not, be sure that it is because you want to, for yourself and family, and be sure it will fill you with joy again.

MrRBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2015, 09:52 PM   #1064
sowildpaul
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about it. I just can't believe that ATM made your defective tank. They should know better that 1" is too thin for 1350 gallons. smh

sowildpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2015, 09:23 AM   #1065
captngreg
Registered Member

Peter

Been there done that; Sorry to hear about you loss. Yours & Ching’s threads got me back into the hobby with a 500 gallon new build after 3 total collapse. I’m from Naplo Peru 40 mile south of Lima, the earthquake capital of the world. I’m no stranger to aquarium failures. After some trial & error I found a solution that appears to stand up. Look into a tempered low E glass tank assembled on site with a 1” S/S frame with 1” cross bracing every three feet.
If you need a little alone time, you & Judy are welcome to spend some time at my ocean front condo. You will still have a 500 gallon tank to look at & putter with if you wish. My house keeper will take care of the tank and the security guard will put the beach chairs & umbrella out on your private beach each morning and retrieve then after use. I'm in RI so the condo is not being use, the tempture outside is 72 and there is no snow!!!!
Captn Greg

captngreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2015, 10:13 AM   #1066
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captngreg View Post
Peter

Been there done that; Sorry to hear about you loss. Yours & Ching’s threads got me back into the hobby with a 500 gallon new build after 3 total collapse. I’m from Naplo Peru 40 mile south of Lima, the earthquake capital of the world. I’m no stranger to aquarium failures. After some trial & error I found a solution that appears to stand up. Look into a tempered low E glass tank assembled on site with a 1” S/S frame with 1” cross bracing every three feet.
If you need a little alone time, you & Judy are welcome to spend some time at my ocean front condo. You will still have a 500 gallon tank to look at & putter with if you wish. My house keeper will take care of the tank and the security guard will put the beach chairs & umbrella out on your private beach each morning and retrieve then after use. I'm in RI so the condo is not being use, the tempture outside is 72 and there is no snow!!!!
Captn Greg
Thanks Captn, Judy and I appreciate your generous offer, especially now when the temp is 0 C and we are expecting snow tonight. However I don't think we are going to be travelling very much in the near future. I seem to have as much work ahead of me regardless as to whether I do another build or not. My next task is to have the main display tank removed and I am not looking forward to that.

So stay safe and keep the topside dry!!!!!!

Peter

Current Tank Info: SW mixed reef 1350 gal in progress
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2015, 09:38 PM   #1067
Zarfish
Registered Member

Peter,

Your tank was my goal as a reefer. I would put the youtube videos to everybody that came to my house and had any interest in reef tanks. So I am truly sorry about your lost. Hope you can get yourself ready to do the 2.0 build.

Add a follower from venezuela to your list from all over the world.

Unread 03/31/2015, 01:26 AM   #1068
mclayj
Registered Member

I have followed this thread since I joined RC and the pictures and videos that you have graciously shared with us all are what ultimately convinced my girlfriend to sign off on my reef aquarium last year (thank you for that!). I can't wait to see what you come up with next and hope that I will be able to share the experience both online and in person (moving back to Toronto from LA for work in June). I have learned so much from reading through your build journal and look forward to the next chapter. Best wishes to you during this trying time.

Jeff

mclayj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 11:48 AM   #1069
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Peter is still thinking about design possibilities and the best way to move forward. I have given him a few suggestions and we both seem to like the idea of a drop off reef (one end deeper than the other). It poses some of the same L shape tank engineering issues, but this time we will assure that care is taken to double check the specs. This is by no means a "Go", but it is a reasonable consideration for a replacement.

It opens up the tank environment so people can walk around it and better appreciate the different views. It also maintains most of the infrastructure from the last tank and we know what it will feel like, as it sits in more or less the same footprint.

The tank would be 16-17' long 4' wide, which is a foot wider, and 4' and 30" high at each end. As much as it would deb great to have a 4 or 5' tall reef tank, it is very hard to keep it looking pristine.

Here is what the old top view looked like...

This is what the new tank would look like...

mr.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 12:13 PM   #1070
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Drop off tanks are cool, but IMO more complicated than an L as far as construction goes. What is more difficult is the stand for one - and most important!

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 12:21 PM   #1071
tidus10
Registered Member

I love the idea of a drop off! but i would go with more of a 24" drop just to make it dramatic... but thats just me.. youll love some water but i dont think that is your goal.. so now instead of an L youre doing a peninsula right?

I like the idea a lot though

Current: 40B- Fish, Water, Rocks, Sand, Pumps, Heaters, Skimmer, Coral
93C build coming soon
tidus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 12:33 PM   #1072
Syho
Registered Member

18 seems perfect!

Syho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 12:34 PM   #1073
blrrobinson21
Registered Member

I love the idea. Might take a little work but.....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ucandoit.jpg (8.0 KB, 125 views)
blrrobinson21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 12:59 PM   #1074
screamingibis
Registered Member

The L shaped was awesome. What if you went with the same dimensions as before, just thicker acrylic and with a euro brace for good measure? Or was it a design flaw from the beginning combined with only 1 inch on the one end?

screamingibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 01:38 PM   #1075
ERivera65
Registered Member

Wow, what an upgrade! that would be an awesome looking tank for sure! I'm all for it!

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon mixed reef
ERivera65 is offline   Reply With Quote