Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/04/2015, 10:13 AM   #351
OrionN
Moved on

Better picture with normal light (LED Radion)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2015, 07:25 PM   #352
Overboard
Premium Member

I need to start going by Petco more often, I guess! Never seen anything that great there myself. Really awesome Mag Minh. Love the column color.

Mark

Unread 03/04/2015, 07:39 PM   #353
OrionN
Moved on

Beggar can't be choosy. I have to get my anemones where ever I can. The MO often does not work out often for me. Only 1/3 of my current anemones were mail ordered. I lost many along the way.
Fortunately, Petco here in Corpus Christi have a pretty good Aquarium manager and I got several really good anemones there.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 03/04/2015, 08:09 PM   #354
Overboard
Premium Member

I bet the Petco manager likes fish and that makes all the difference. It's good you have that option.

Now that you mention it, I think my anemone experience is similar. The LFS anemones have done well for me. Also, FJW and others up here usually carry a variety of clowns and anemones so we are fortunate in that regard.

Unread 03/04/2015, 08:30 PM   #355
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Nice pickup. I did not get a chance to go look at my local petco. Rats... Missed out I bet.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2015, 08:31 AM   #356
OrionN
Moved on

There were another nice Magnifica. Light purple column with white tipped tentacles. I came back monday. If he was there still I would have got him but all were sold. the Corpus Petco got a total of 5 pushed Magnifica. The one I got and the light purple were the nicest.

Unread 03/07/2015, 01:13 PM   #357
OrionN
Moved on

The guilty party involved in the killing of my Kole tang is my Red Haddoni. He exploded is size last week. He easily added 2 inches to his diameter after eating the tang.

Unread 03/08/2015, 07:14 AM   #358
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice mag Minh,your petco doesn't have any saltwater tanks.

SNAKEMANVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2015, 05:39 AM   #359
OrionN
Moved on

Well, I though I was careful but not enough. Last night I spotted spiders in my tank that are eating my Acro. I also spot Monti eating Nudi in my tank last night also. Talk about bad news. This is a huge set back for me. I never get these pests before so did not really know how to look for them. I though I can learn from other people mistake. Apparently not.

I am going to reset up my QT system. Once stable, I will frag some of my nicer corals and kill the rest.
How long do you guys think that I should leave my tank coral free to kill the Nudi and Spiders? I plan to starve them to death, then re introduce my SPS. I got an idea how I got my spiders but not sure on the Nudi unless they come in hitch hike on a Acro then jump on to my Monti.

Unread 03/09/2015, 06:42 AM   #360
dave.m
Registered Member

These things can come in on rocks or plugs from any invert. Some parasites even come in on snail or clam shells. I would wait a minimum of 40-50 days to quarantine. Some people will wait up to eight weeks, including weekly dips. Some of these parasites are in egg form so just one dip will not kill them all. You have to keep dipping throughout the quarantine phase.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2015, 06:49 AM   #361
worm5406

I agree put them all in a your QT tank.

Let it go fallow for 3 months. That will give time for all to hatch and starve and even reproduce and hatch again if they seem to live for a bit.

Good luck and dip dip dip. You can tackle it. Not a setback just a time to regroup and redesign. LOL

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
Unread 03/10/2015, 08:10 AM   #362
dave.m
Registered Member

I was just reading how public aquarium facilities typically quarantine everything for 6-8 months. Clearly impatience is the hobbyist's greatest downfall.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2015, 10:39 PM   #363
OrionN
Moved on

I just feed my Magnifica a salmon chunk. I tink I will turn my tank to Anemone and LPS and some non Acro, non Monti SPS for a while until I starve these pest then restart.

Unread 03/21/2015, 06:50 AM   #364
OrionN
Moved on

I started to remove all my SPS, Monti and Acro from my tank to combat Acro eating flat worms and Monti eating nudibanches. Now I just have LPS, some bird nests, clams and anemones. Will wait several months before I start to restock SPS again. Will see if this will take care of the problem.
Really good QT this tiem and all will be treat prior to put them in my DT.

Unread 03/21/2015, 07:02 AM   #365
kegogut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I started to remove all my SPS, Monti and Acro from my tank to combat Acro eating flat worms and Monti eating nudibanches. Now I just have LPS, some bird nests, clams and anemones. Will wait several months before I start to restock SPS again. Will see if this will take care of the problem.
Really good QT this tiem and all will be treat prior to put them in my DT.
Do you have any coris wrasse? Ive never tried but I think they eat the flat worms.

"I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them." --Nicomo Cosca.

Current Tank Info: 225 mixed w/ 225 sump 550 lbs live rock,3x MarinePure ceramic blocks,Skimz SM201,Geo 618 CR,Vectra L1,DOS automatic water changes,3x 250w MH w/ 4x actinic T5,All ran by Apex thru Fusion.--57 community tank w/ OR T-247,120 nem tank.
kegogut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2015, 07:57 AM   #366
OrionN
Moved on

I just going to starve them. All my Acro are gone. There are several massive encrusting Monti that I cannot remove. Will see if these are infected with Nudi. If they are, the rock with them on it will be gone. Dry out after I frag some of the corals. I have some Caps that I don't think infected with Nudi, but if needed theyse will be gone too.
I had a Banana Yellow Coris wrasse in the past that was fine in my tank your years, then he just went crazy one day and destroyed two of my prized Maxima before I can get him out. I may try again but unlikely. Wrasses just don't do well in my tank with the carpets. All my wrasses and dottybacks were eaten after a few months.

Unread 03/21/2015, 10:20 AM   #367
Joel_155
Registered Member

Just started reading your stickies on how to treat anenomes and discovered your build thread. Outstanding work so far. Definitely made me glad I thought twice before getting a nem. I'd love to keep one but want to make sure the tank is set up correctly. Nice build btw!

Joel_155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2015, 01:17 PM   #368
Overboard
Premium Member

Sorry you are having to battle AEF and such. You have such a great tank.

Do you know if the Gigs got any of your wrasses, or was it just the Haddon's? So far I have not lost any fish to my 2 Gigs, but maybe that is just dumb luck.

Mark

Unread 03/22/2015, 02:36 AM   #369
mike810
Registered Member

Guys over on the zeovit forum have stated using coral booster along with flatworm stop helped rid their tank of flatworms. The products themselves do not kill the flatworms, it boost the coral's health and creates a slime coat that the worms cannot penetrate thus starving them to death. Worth a shot if you still have your acros.

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2015, 06:45 PM   #370
OrionN
Moved on

I got all my Acro out of the tank.

After my Red Carpet zapped my Yellow Eye Kole, I put my Chevron tank intot he DT. I had the Chevdron in the lighted sump for several months, feeding well on Nori clip. The other tangs, mainly the Powder Blue, chased and keep him in the rock for almost 1 month. I feed him by put Nori clip on a stick and put it where he hold up in the rock. Since this weekend, he have been out and there are no fighting with the other tangs.
There are still a few scrapes and slightly nipped fins but these wounds are healing fast. I am happy to report that he have not lost much weight at all. He is the biggest tang in my tank, still pretty chubby. Now I will add my last fish. I plan to add another Regal angel. I will keep him in my frag tank by himself until he is fat and good, eating well and the best of health before release him into the DT. I will trap the other Regal and the Powder Blue tang out and put him into my sump for a few months while the new Regal adjust to the tank. I may even put the older Regal into the frag tank first and see how they interact before get both of them into my DT.

Unread 03/25/2015, 07:43 PM   #371
kegogut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I got all my Acro out of the tank.

After my Red Carpet zapped my Yellow Eye Kole, I put my Chevron tank intot he DT. I had the Chevdron in the lighted sump for several months, feeding well on Nori clip. The other tangs, mainly the Powder Blue, chased and keep him in the rock for almost 1 month. I feed him by put Nori clip on a stick and put it where he hold up in the rock. Since this weekend, he have been out and there are no fighting with the other tangs.
There are still a few scrapes and slightly nipped fins but these wounds are healing fast. I am happy to report that he have not lost much weight at all. He is the biggest tang in my tank, still pretty chubby. Now I will add my last fish. I plan to add another Regal angel. I will keep him in my frag tank by himself until he is fat and good, eating well and the best of health before release him into the DT. I will trap the other Regal and the Powder Blue tang out and put him into my sump for a few months while the new Regal adjust to the tank. I may even put the older Regal into the frag tank first and see how they interact before get both of them into my DT.
I just went thru something like this. I bought a purple tang and added him to DT. My yellow tang started chasing him and attacking him. I removed the yellow from DT for a week to let the purple get adjusted then re-added the yellow but he still was aggressive towards he purple for 3-4 days but now they get along fine with no real aggression towards each other.

"I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them." --Nicomo Cosca.

Current Tank Info: 225 mixed w/ 225 sump 550 lbs live rock,3x MarinePure ceramic blocks,Skimz SM201,Geo 618 CR,Vectra L1,DOS automatic water changes,3x 250w MH w/ 4x actinic T5,All ran by Apex thru Fusion.--57 community tank w/ OR T-247,120 nem tank.
kegogut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2015, 04:03 PM   #372
OrionN
Moved on

Here is my Petco Magnifica about 1 month after arrival to my home:

Unread 03/29/2015, 07:42 PM   #373
worm5406

Looks like it beat the petco trend of dying after a few weeks.

Glad to see it doing good!

Unread 03/29/2015, 10:15 PM   #374
OrionN
Moved on

It is doing very well, eating well and growing.
Here is a poor picture of my big boys in the tank. The only fish of significant size not here are the Marine Beta pair.
In this picture there are
4 tangs
1 foxface
Regal angle,
Copperbanded Butterfly (between the Regal angel and Powder Blue tang)
Watanabe angel pair
a few Royal Gramma
Anthias

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BigBoys2015032901.jpg (87.9 KB, 639 views)

Unread 03/30/2015, 10:08 PM   #375
deleau
Registered Member

Love your tank. If it isn't too much trouble, would you post a current photo of your watanabe pair? I am really interested in getting a pair for my tank. (I should specify a close up since the pair is in the big photo above. )

Thank you in advance.

Current Tank Info: 258g (72.5x30x27.5), 4x Radion Gen3 Pro, 2x Hamilton Aruba Sun V Series (4x Blue Plus 80W), 2x Vortech MP40WQD, Apex Gold + WXM, Dreambox 5d, Bubble King Supermarin 200, Red Dragon 3 150W, Tunze 3155, Finnex Ti 800W
deleau is offline   Reply With Quote