Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/18/2019, 12:34 PM   #1
eschaton
Registered Member

How do the modern lidless tank setups deal with "jumpers?"

In my old tank (setting up another one soonish) I didn't have a formal lid. I did however put diffuser grate over the surface, with some small cut-out areas around the downspouts and a handful of other pieces of equipment. Even with these relatively small openings, I still lost a fair amount of fish to jumping, including a Yellow Watchman Goby, A Yasha Hasy Goby, a mandarin, and eventually my Sixline Wrasse (though he lived happily in the tank for a good five years before he jumped). Indeed I never had an issue with fish illness - I basically only lost fish due to jumping, barring those rando fish that vanish as soon as you put them in the tank, and some small gobies that likely died of old age.

When I look at modern setups online, it seems like lidless has become the default. From an aesthetic standpoint I can get behind this. The newer LED fixtures are small and don't need to have bulky ventilation systems, meaning a lot more of the water surface can be exposed.

However, I have always heard that when it comes to saltwater fish, basically all of them - with the possible exception of seahorses - will eventually jump if kept in a lidless tank for enough time. Meaning if you care about the welfare of your fish, the only real solution is either to have a lid, or a coral/invert only tank.

Which makes me wonder if all of these lidless setups are just for show.

Anyway, thoughts?

eschaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2019, 01:28 PM   #2
lespaul339
Reefer

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-a...4-netting.html

Current Tank Info: 60x24x24 150 gallon reef, 55 gallon sump.
lespaul339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2019, 06:44 AM   #3
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In my old tank (setting up another one soonish) I didn't have a formal lid. I did however put diffuser grate over the surface, with some small cut-out areas around the downspouts and a handful of other pieces of equipment. Even with these relatively small openings, I still lost a fair amount of fish to jumping, including a Yellow Watchman Goby, A Yasha Hasy Goby, a mandarin, and eventually my Sixline Wrasse (though he lived happily in the tank for a good five years before he jumped). Indeed I never had an issue with fish illness - I basically only lost fish due to jumping, barring those rando fish that vanish as soon as you put them in the tank, and some small gobies that likely died of old age.

When I look at modern setups online, it seems like lidless has become the default. From an aesthetic standpoint I can get behind this. The newer LED fixtures are small and don't need to have bulky ventilation systems, meaning a lot more of the water surface can be exposed.

However, I have always heard that when it comes to saltwater fish, basically all of them - with the possible exception of seahorses - will eventually jump if kept in a lidless tank for enough time. Meaning if you care about the welfare of your fish, the only real solution is either to have a lid, or a coral/invert only tank.

Which makes me wonder if all of these lidless setups are just for show.

Anyway, thoughts?
How does lidless set up deal with jumper? One of three ways as below
1. Put a lid on it
2. Not have fishes that are jumpers
3. Natural selection, ie. survival of the "non jumper".

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2019, 07:03 AM   #4
albano
SALTWATER since '73

I have seen some very nice rimless tanks, with a recessed lid installed that still looked ‘topless’ from the front!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2019, 07:00 PM   #5
NYCBOB
Registered Member

After losing a few fish due to jumping, I finally bought the diy netting kit from
Bulk reef supply. Took maybe 1 hour to make two covers Bc I wanted to it to look perfect. It’s a must accessory for open top tank.

NYCBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2019, 05:43 PM   #6
nikon187
Registered Member

mesh top or dont add jumpers

Current Tanks:

New 210 custom 84 x 24 x 24, 60g sump, SWC 250 extreme with bubble blaster 5000, 2 vortech mp40, 2 vortech mp10, 12 T5, Water blaster 5000, warner marine bio pellets,

60g clownfish cube, red carpet anemone with a 25g sump,SRO octopus 1000sss, 250w radium, lumenarc large.
nikon187 is offline   Reply With Quote