Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/27/2017, 10:11 PM   #1
Hawaiian Stylin
Registered Member

Soft coral no fish

I just started in the hobby a few months ago. Bought 55 but quickly realized a 75 would suit my ideas better for aquascaping. So, this coral.
I cycled the 55 for about 3 months with old water. The tank came with a clown, starfish and some snails, rock and sand. Sand spiked ammonia so I removed everything and just ran the water through the canister filter that it came with. Canister has carbon, bio pellets and bio balls. 3 months later, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 40 ppm nitrates.
A friend called and said I need to pick up my rock from him. So I did and he gave me an urchin and a 5" devil's hand. The water I got with the rock had Nitrates at 40 also. I added 20 gallons of his water to my tank and set everything in. The next evening I did a 50% WC. 4 days later 50% again. Nitrates are at 10ppm.
So that is where I am now. I have No fish and have Not been feeding this guy. I do have a Current LED for the tank. No idea on PAR. I did add a ASM G2 skimmer right in the tank about 3 days ago. The Coral hasnt been extending his polyps. He does show about 1/4" or so on and off. I do have a powerhead supply good current. I plan to feed him tonight with some reef roids I just picked up. Do I need a fish? Im trying Not to get too many animals so I dont have to stress them when I switch to my 75 in few more weeks. If I do need a fish. What should I get? I want primarily corals and probably no anemones so I dont think I'll get a clown. Even though I love them. Im just think Im far too inexperienced for the anemones right now. I also want small fish. Maybe a couple wrasse?? Or Damsels?
Please tell me what you guys think.
Thanks!!!
David

Hawaiian Stylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2017, 10:16 PM   #2
Hawaiian Stylin
Registered Member

Sorry double post.
Please Do Not reply to this thread.

Unread 07/28/2017, 09:21 AM   #3
JZinCO
Registered Member

In the future, there's no reason to add someone else's tank water into yours as a cautionary approach. But it sounds like you know that, at least learned so in hindsight.
Your light isn't great but should be enough.
I'd really chalk this up to: leathers are moody. They can spend a full week slowly shedding, or not reacting well to something. The second to last leather I added was a cabbage. Looked like hell for two weeks while it grew used to my tank and is beautiful now.
Edit: just read your 2nd post. Oops

JZinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2017, 05:02 PM   #4
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

Just let the soft corals acclimate to your tank, you dont need to feed soft corals. IMO i dont think yiu should add any fish or new corals until you see your parameters stabilize n your corals are opening n doing great. You probably havent even went through your diatom bloom on your 75g? Let everything go n just let it do its thing, as for water change maybe do a 15 to 20% every two weeks n use rodi water.

aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2017, 01:56 AM   #5
Hawaiian Stylin
Registered Member

So I did end up getting a couple red fire goby fishes from a great local store. The 55 is stable, 0 ammonia, zero nitrite, 8.2 ph, my nitrate is about 5ppm. I have some mature rock, about 50 pounds or so that was in my friends tank for about 4 years I think.
The gobys are great and a blast to watch. I also got a few very Very little frags. All softies. Dont remember the names, but one is a pink elephant. These I got from another friend I trust, so I just acclaimed them with a drip. My wife came home with 3 more frags. These came from petco. So we both set up a 10 gallon as a quarantine tank. I need to pick up some Coral RX for a dip and then we'll leave them there for about 6-8 weeks. I least thats what I learned from BRS TV. Does this sound right to you guys? Do I just feed them the Reef Roids once a week as well. Oh yeah, I just have a small powerhead and a heater in the tank. I also only have 6 gallons in it just to keep the frags submerged about 2 inches. Do I do any dosing??